It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it too late to create a new sweeping trade agreement that restructures the west?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Heya folks.

This is just a random thread about trade agreements.

Some issues...we westerners like trade...lots of it. But the problem is that our trade agreements allow for corporate entities to use the absolute poorest nations with no basic standards for workers.

This translates into slave labor in places like china to create our products we buy in the west...this cuts the cost of the product significantly, but at the cost of jobs being exported, and local businesses being closed down due to an inability to compete with the prices.

Its a disasterous policy.

So, I was wondering if I could encourage people to contact their officals and introduce a new trade agreement...one that would basically kill globalization and instead, redefine who we trade with...allow for only certain standards (based on perhaps a rating system) to trade with one another.

America, Europe, and a few other areas in the world are first rate countrys. We look after our employees, we have minimum wages, work hours, etc. There should be no peneltys for these nations to swap around jobs considering the company in question will be choosing to go where the most skilled people are verses the cheapest...

Lesser nations (say, india/china) would fall significantly down on the ratings scale considering their devil may care attitude towards minimum wage, overtime, vacation, bennies, etc...and any corporation using such nations that fall in that ratings would either not be able to do business with the high grade nations, or be penelty taxed so high that it wouldn't be worthwhile...

Not only would this save lots of jobs in the west, it also would improve other areas of the world that want to trade with us...requiring them to improve their situation and lifestyle...investing on educating their young, etc...its only win and the only losers in this system are the heavy corporatists that like the idea of slavery through current globalization.

Anyhow, is it possible to draft something like this up, perhaps get that going into petition and demanding our representatives to persue it? Any legal and financial wizards here care to weigh in?

I think its discussions like this that might restructure how we do things and work together...

So, thoughts? Anything to add to this thought? any possible flaws in it? I think movements start with just ideas kicked around in rough times, and the times are rough...

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Incidently, NAFTA would go away under this...
Canada is fine, but Mexico is crap...they would have to tighten up significantly before being rated into the "fair market trade rating" (might as well give it a name)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
It will never happen, because there are too many people profiting from the current system, they have the gold and they now make the rules. We will have to destroy them, and as armies and weapons are at their command, i dont see how its going to happen. I think all we can do is let the system fall, and the corruption left will end up destroying itself from within.
edit on 8-8-2011 by Firefly_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Firefly_
It will never happen, because there are too many people profiting from the current system, they have the gold and they now make the rules. We will have to destroy them, and as armies and weapons are at their command, i dont see how its going to happen. I think all we can do is let the system fall, and the corruption left will end up destroying itself from within.
edit on 8-8-2011 by Firefly_ because: (no reason given)

Destroy through legislation...

The tea party proved that a handful of people can make a change...sorta

Now granted, their change was basically to slash our own tires, but its almost proof of concept that all thats needed is a idea (and arguably a lot of corporate backing).

So, the question is, where would the corporate backing come from...the hundreds of millions spent to get the thing rolling as a nice "grassroots" movement...well, there are some loose knit organizations...almost every trade union would be up for this, hollywood would be all for it, etc....you can find plenty of fuel for the rocket without requiring corporate sponsorship, and the idea itself is solid.

Once you have the momentum, and it looks like it is going to be pushed hard, then the media may latch on and voila.,..you have pressure on washington (and parliment) to start the structure...problem is you need representatives from union there to make sure corporatists aren't trying to defang it...that is the only tricky part considering they can spend billions to spin it into being anti-whatever to restructure and make things fair.

But again, with a strong and forceful message and very clear outlines, the defanging process could be minimalized

top topics

join