It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hollow Point Bullets & Riots in the UK

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
The use of hollow point bullets is forbidden by law in the UK, Hollow Points, but they are the ammunition of choice for the Police. Their use is banned under the Hague Convention 1899, Hague Convention, Declaration III.

Why is it legal to shoot your own citizens with ammunition that soldiers under fire in a battlefield are forbidden from using when under fire from serious armed and dangerous insurgents intent on killing you with everything they can muster?

How does the law differentiate between civilians and military targets? Why do the Police deliberately pick munitions that they know will inflict the maximum damage? I suppose they want to stop the person at which they are shooting at and not have the bullets pass through and hit someone else, but hollow points seem a bit extreme to my mind, but I am not a munitions expert, maybe someone else more knowledgeable can comment on that?

In current riots in Tottenham the Police are claiming an officer was hit by a bullet but saved by his radio, would a hollow point pass through a radio or be stopped by a few bits of plastic and a circuit board, or more likely as I suspect it was a ricochet and then hitting the radio had lost sufficient momentum not to penetrate through to the officer and/or his bullet/stab proof vest.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
police almost use handguns and machine guns, both ABSOULTLY BANNED for a resident in the uk to own himself fort protection, shooting comps or any other possible reason.

It doesnt bother me what ammo my cops use, i cant buy it or use it in any weapon but then im almost not likly to be shot by the cops because you know, im a good boy.

UK police are using A LOT more tasers anyways, when the armed responce DOES turn up, i want them to be as tooled up as possible if that means otherwise illegal firearms to stop a baby killing psyco, so be it.

We got bigger probrams than the round in our guns, besaides if you want to talk about dangerous ammos, take a look at the depleated urianium rounds left all over the place by allied forces, even after they are fired they cause pain and suffering on those not even shot at (years after even!)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Let loose with the plastic bullets and fire hoses.

That's what british police usually do.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Police in the U.S. Have always used hollow point ammunition as far back as the 1980's. The Constable's don't shoot you to say hello laddie. They are trying to KILL you.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Rob37n

you mean they use hollow plastic bullets? i find it hard to believe they would shoot people over riots with sharp ammunition.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs
police almost use handguns and machine guns, both ABSOULTLY BANNED for a resident in the uk to own himself fort protection, shooting comps or any other possible reason.

It doesnt bother me what ammo my cops use, i cant buy it or use it in any weapon but then im almost not likly to be shot by the cops because you know, im a good boy.

UK police are using A LOT more tasers anyways, when the armed responce DOES turn up, i want them to be as tooled up as possible if that means otherwise illegal firearms to stop a baby killing psyco, so be it.

We got bigger probrams than the round in our guns, besaides if you want to talk about dangerous ammos, take a look at the depleated urianium rounds left all over the place by allied forces, even after they are fired they cause pain and suffering on those not even shot at (years after even!)

Not quite....there are plenty of LEGAL firearms in the UK.
Shotguns, smgs, hand pistols....you need a license, but you cant take them home for the most part.

A friend of mine has several legal guns

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Rob37n

It is my understanding that because Hollow Tips basically expand and turn into shards inside their target, the chance of a bullet going through a target and hitting an innocent bystander is lessened. I could be wrong, I know there are plenty of experienced hunters on this site who would know better than I..

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rob37n
How does the law differentiate between civilians and military targets? Why do the Police deliberately pick munitions that they know will inflict the maximum damage? I suppose they want to stop the person at which they are shooting at and not have the bullets pass through and hit someone else, but hollow points seem a bit extreme to my mind, but I am not a munitions expert, maybe someone else more knowledgeable can comment on that?

You're right. Hollow points expand upon impact thus leaving a larger hole and doing more damage. The idea is take your blood pressure to zero as soon as possible and stop your forward momentum. The protocol is two bullets to the center mass (torso) and if that does not stop the threat, one to the head. They are also less likely to travel through walls and hit someone on the other side. In the US this is called "self defense" ammo.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by MentalPriapism

Absolutely. Less chance for collateral damage.

Also, soldiers do not want hollowpoints. You want your shots to be able to penetrate, not fragment.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Rob37n

They want to maximise the chance of death, so survivors cant live to tell the real story.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by JennaDarling

No they use hollow point bullets, otherwise known as dum dum bullets. They are forbidden from use by soldiers as they cause too much damage.

I think you're thinking of baton rounds which are also known as rubber bullets.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
There are times I am very glad I am a US citizen blessed with a second ammendment. It is not your police that scare me - it is your thugs, your holligans, or I have seen some write chav's (what is a chav by the way?) that scare me. I am not the rioting type - if I were in those areas I would be bunkered in - but not from the Police.
If I had to bunker in - in my country - not likely because I live rurally and this is usually an urban issue - I would have my legally owned firearms at the ready if you tried to enter my home. Firearms which I have trained in the use of - for my families protection. Because I live in a "Castle Doctrine" state I could shoot and kill you legally if I felt you were a threat to my life.

I am legally entitled to carry my weapon in a concealed fashion IN PUBLIC also . . . but choose not to live my life "packing" - but don't thug past my doorstep.

I really honestly feel for the families just trying to live in those neighboorhoods - I can't imagine their fear. Hoping they won't be a target, their house will not be flamed, their car destroyed. Their homes entered. To think they don't even have the right to arm themselves . . . sends shivers down my spine. I cannot imagine living my life that helpless. I am sorry for what is happening over there.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by LittleBirdSaid

chav

Picture this a young lad about 12 years of age and 4 ½ feet high baseball cap at ninety degrees in a imitation addidas tracksuit, with trouser legs tucked into his socks (of course, is definitely the height of fashion). This lad is strutting around, fag in one hand jewellery al over the over, outside McDonalds acting as if he is 8 foot tall and built like a rugby player, when some poor unsuspecting adult (about 17/18) walks round the corner wanting to go to mcdonalds for his dinner glances at the young lad, the young lad jumps up in complete disgust and says “Whats your problem? Wanna make sommin of it? Bling Bling” when the adult starts to walk towards the young lad, the young lad pisses himself and runs off to either his pregnant 14-year-old girlfriend or his brother in the army crying his eyes out.
My mate has become a chav what can i do? answer is shoot him before it is too late

lol

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by LittleBirdSaid
(what is a chav by the way?)

Its a type of rebelious, work dodging, responcability dodging breed of teenager usually dressed in tracksuits training shoes and a baseballcap/hood/both.

Most chavs dont stay chavs forever buts its a destructive stage that either leads to criminal activity for income, unwanted/uncared for pregnancy or, they get a job and a life.

Not saying all rioters are chavs, but the ones turning up just to loot almost certinly are.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
As someone who has spent a life time recreational shooting and reloading to keep it affordable, I've never seen the sense in outlawing or banning hollow points in the first place. They look nasty and deadly, but then what doesn't if it's going to be hitting you at 900-1400 feet per second?

Hollow points have two benefits and I wish people would look into this before feeding into the deliberate misinformation of the media. 1. They tend to expand and do a lot more damage inside. Well.....assuming you aren't shooting someone just to hurt them..fatal is the whole point. Hollow Points help make that happen, hence they are good.

More importantly though, Hollow Points tend to stop inside a body. Round nose or ball ammunition can pass through the person, a wall or three behind them, and still carry enough force to hurt or kill someone in the line of fire. So..Exactly what is it about hollow points that is so nasty and evil again? I've never seen the downside of them.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Rob37n

The answer is surely that it is the Hague declaration that is ridiculous. Why single out hollow point bullets as 'evil'. You can drop a 500lb bomb on them no problem but shooting them with a hollow point bullet is a no-no? Full retard.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
You just want to wound an enemy soldier. It ties up one or two other soldiers taking care of and evacuating him. A cop is interested stopping usually just one...

top topics

join