It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TIme travel IS possible, and it's not that hard to do.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   

We lost 1.26 microseconds (millionths of a second) in time during the Chilean earthquake scientists say.

Cosmonaut Sergei Avdeyev holds the world record for TIME TRAVEL. He traveled 0.02 seconds into the future.

So the rotation of the Earth seems to be key in time travel. The slight stopping of it during the earthquake casued us to lose time, and the cosmonaut traveling faster caused him to go forward in time. So to me, it's simple. Either travel really fast the direction of Earth (WHILE IN ORBIT) or travel in the opposite direction of the Earth (WHILE IN ORBIT) and vuala, you should easily accomplish what was once unthinkable.

I'm sure speed, and time spend up there in that speed, would determine how long you go forward, or backwards depending on the direction you are going.
edit on 8-8-2011 by BrnBdry because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by BrnBdry

The rotation of earth has nothing to do with flow of time itself. The only thing that changes is that a EARTH day becomes a tiny bit longer if rotation slows down.
You are right about the astronauts though.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by BrnBdry

The only problem is that astronauts could not get up enough speed to have any significant time slips

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by BrnBdry

I'm sure speed, and time spend up there in that speed, would determine how long you go forward, or backwards depending on the direction you are going.

I saw the superman movie too. It wasn't any more realistic then than it is now.

The faster an object travels towards the speed of light, time slows down for it while remaining the same for us. This is how the astronauts "time traveled" as they are orbiting faster that we are moving, slightly.

This is a forward leap, direction has no bearing on it at all.

Currently it is out of the realm of possibility for a simple reason. The faster an object travels, the more fuel that is required, which adds mass in the form of fuel, which requires even more fuel to move the extra mass of the added fuel, which requires more fuel............

E=MC squared.

Now.... lets say we can find a new fuel source that would allow for faster travel with limited mass increase. And we send some dude blasting out away from earth. theoretically, if he could get up to and even past the speed of light, he could get far enough away and turn around, use a telescope, and see into the past.

He can't affect it in any way, but he could, in a very real sense, see into the past as he's gone past the light rays from earth and is seeing them possibly millions of years before he even left.

Time travel is possible, probably just not for humans.

There is another tantalizing possibility. Gravity. HUGE masses have huge gravitational effects which, according to our physics, can bend light and warp space time. It could be possible to create an artificial time slip with a massive gravity. It could even allow us to bend spacetime in such a way as to create a "stable" wormhole.

Time ceases to exist at the center of a black hole. As light approaches the event horizon, it can not escape, hence the "blackness" of the black hole. The objects mass is so great, that not even light, the fastest thing in the universe, can escape it.

In my opinion, the key to time travel is sitting on the event horizon of a super massive black hole, waiting for us to come get it.

I seriously doubt the ability to travel back in time, I don't think the universe would still be here if a paradox was a real possibility. So either time travel is a fast forward button only, or you can move freely in time, but you aren't really moving in time so much as you are moving through parallel realities.

edit on 8-8-2011 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I thought that the reason for the astronaut going through time paster was because he was farther from the gravitational effect of the Earth, and not so much (but still a little) from the faster speed compared to those on the surface.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
It's true!

Haven't you seen superman do this?

Edit: Phishy beat me to the superman joke.
edit on 8-8-2011 by emaildogs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
time isnt real. clocks are real.

Time is not constant for the person at speed, it only seems constant to the 'stationary' person obversing the first person.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I time travel every day. By the time I am done writing this post I'll be at least a min into the future. Oh look still no flying cars.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
High gravity slows time, so no gravity compared to earth, speeds up your time hence, time travel towards the future.
(Compared to time on earth)

My theory is that, if you create en center of really strong gravity and go to the speed of light, you might go back in time.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by BrnBdry

Time travel...is it possible....I truly hope it is. I am adding a thread started last year...about (the LARGE HADRON COLLIER) in Switzerland. Please keep scrolling down the page.....(after you click on link)...could this be a piece of the missing puzzle of time travel?

Link: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

Why assume fuel is needed to travel fast? Cause it's not.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by davidchin

I thought that the reason for the astronaut going through time paster was because he was farther from the gravitational effect of the Earth, and not so much (but still a little) from the faster speed compared to those on the surface.

I don't believe the earth has sufficient mass to effect spacetime around it to the extent that simply moving into orbit would change the passage of time. The science speculated that since the astronaut was moving much faster in relation to us on earth, a time dilation effect would occur.

When tested it atomic clocks this was proven to be the case. In fact the GPS systems everyone rely on require constant time adjustments because of this very fact.

time is an artificial construct. there is no "time" merely the passage of 1 even to the next. We created "time" to explain this. Events do follow a linear path, as our reality has shown us, and we can test it at any point (simply being conscious would be testing it). This absolutely doesn't rule out the possibility that it is within our means to control this.

We simply don't understand it at all.

much like gravity. We know it's there, we can test it, record it, plan for it. But damned if we can't tell you at all how it works.

What actually makes it work? Is there a graviton particle? Is it a deformation of what we consider to be empty space? How, at the basic level, does it function when it affects the large scale world, but has no effect at all at the quantum level?

don't give up hope, science is constantly changing. They've discovered new particles at fermilab. They've proven that the rate of nuclear decay, which was once held as constant, is variable and depends on the location of earth in relation to the sun.

Our entire foundation of physics is changing under our feet and who knows what we'll be talking about 10 years from now.

On ATS of course

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by BrnBdry

Why assume fuel is needed to travel fast? Cause it's not.

fuel, in this case, clearly refers to energy. Energy does not come from nothing, we haven't cracked zero point energy yet.

Yes, that maglev train runs incredibly fast. Why? Because it's using high powered electromagnets. and it's not coming close to the speed of light, actually, not even close to the speeds of satellites in orbit right now

Which is funny because that's one of the other great mysteries of science, electromagnetism.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I would laugh out louder for your innocence. Time as we know it is calculated based on the earth's rotation and revolution. That is not what the time you need to consider to travel.

In layman terms, you CANNOT travel in time, all you can do is look back/forth in time PERIOD.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by ramtheprince
I would laugh out louder for your innocence. Time as we know it is calculated based on the earth's rotation and revolution. That is not what the time you need to consider to travel.

In layman terms, you CANNOT travel in time, all you can do is look back/forth in time PERIOD.

well you say that however, if we broke the next speed barrier it might be possible to slow aging etc by blasting round the solor system at huge constant speeds to "buy earth time".

slowing or speeding time is one thig its quite another to take that concept to the extremes of visiting 'times' behind the present.

One funny but fairly accurate way to "look back in time" would be to put up a massive mirrior a half light year from out planet then bounce telescopes off it you wpould be able to see a year ago, however theres no mirror and until one is put up you would have to wait a year to see it work, and then you would just be looking at you returning to erath and watch your self looking at the mirror (you)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   

edit on 8-8-2011 by 547000 because: Double post

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Uhhhhh...

The way we recod time is effected, not the flow of time itself.

Though the theory of relativity is true.
edit on 8-8-2011 by 547000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Time travel is a rather tricky concept to look at scientifically. We know it is easily possible to slow or speed up the flow of time by small degrees (relatively), but reversal is impossible from current knowledge.

GPS satellites are set to run 38 microseconds faster than clocks on the ground due to the effects of the time dilation in orbit. This is not fully understood, but extensively tested.

For a good part of it, it depends on if you're talking about Quantum Mechanics or General Relativity as far as how this can be explained using the standard models of today. You can speak about either and still be considered correct...but again this all is just "as far as we know".

The concept of travelling back in time and the relation to the speed of light, one has to remember that you will need to do some tricky twists to physics in order to achieve this speed or beyond. Photons can travel at the speed of light because they are a particle/wave that has no mass. As a normal object increases in speed, so does the energy required to affect a change to that object's speed or direction - which equates to being the same as an increase in mass. As you approach the speed of light, the amount of energy required to accelerate it even further quickly approaches infinity and therefore so does the mass. Obviously, this makes it impossible to ever reach the speed of light for any object with mass.

This doesn't mean that there wouldn't be ways to bypass this limitation, it just means that - as we know things now - it would be impossible to 'push or pull' an object to that speed.

Regarding time travel and speed, this is getting into relativity which means that a lot of things are judged on relative associations. To a person going the speed of light, time would appear to stop - this is their relative perception (because they are moving at the same speed as the observable medium...aka Light) - for example.

Objects with mass cause a warping effect of the spacetime around them. The more massive the object, the more pronounced effect on the space around them. Here on Earth, we are (mainly) under the effects of the Sun, Earth, and Moon. Since we are standing on the surface of the Earth, we receive the largest spacetime dilation from Earth. As you move further away from the surface (or closer to the center of the planet) this effect would change. If you could stand at the exact center of the Earth, then currently theory states that the passage of time would increase. This means it would be the opposite of what GPS satellites experience...a clock at the center of the Earth would have to go slower than a clock on the surface in order for them to remain sync'd. However, you would have to have a significantly more massive body than Earth in order to cause anything more than maybe a fraction of a second per day.

I'm not an expert of course, so I cannot desribe it any better than that and I cannot vouch for the accuracy 100%, but it is the way I have been led to understand it from what I have read on the subject. I'm sure someone versed in the math behind all this could probably explain it better.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
bad news for you!
if you have two pendulum clocks.
put A deep in a mine.
put B in the space station.
after one month bring them together.
A will be faster than B. time travel?
No! the clocks work from gravity.
in a deep mine, you get high gravity.
in space you get less gravity.
it is just more energy not time travel.
plants will grow faster. less pull!
But some thing in gravity make atoms move faster?
so it is not just the Pull of gravity.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Time travel. Wow. Back to the future.

top topics

join