It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Straw trick

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Great idea, thanks for sharing!.
If you use different color straws you could color code the contents, might help identify the sugar and salt.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Since a straw is made of very cheap plastic maybe its better to use 2 of them, by inserting them one in another you seal them at both end, way before, Plus they are reusable. You just need to fold the straw a litle bit, you loose a very small ammout of space but its water proof again. Putting cotton wool to make sure the food is not altered by the burned parts of the straw is a good idea(like an above poster mentioned).

Also you not necessarily need to burn both end of the straw. If you're storage allow to put the straws in a triangular way, you can insert both end of the same straw into each other and tape it but i think its gonna be a mess to open tho .

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Yeah I use this trick quite a bit... Very handy.

Although it can be tricky when I'm going camping or to work in the bush..

It's extremely hard and time consuming to get my mobile phone and portable playstation into a straw...

edit on 8/9/2011 by Ironclad because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Very effective,yet simple.

Thanks OP.

Cheers

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by KaiserSoze

Hold on .. because you might run out of water you always have 2 liters urine with you ?

Please elaborate, that sounds just .. wrong. lol

EDIT: Nevermind .. sometimes it's hard to figure out if someone is joking or not around ATS members ^^

edit on 9-8-2011 by H1ght3chHippie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kllyblvn
reply to post by Darkblade71

I would like to hear more about the bottle cap lure

Thank you!

my thread on bottle cap lures can be found here
www.abovetopsecret.com...
just one more of those little odd things most people never think of...

Odd but useful

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by KaiserSoze
I heard, that in a survival situation if there is no water available, you can drink your own urine.
So I always take a two liter bottle of it wherever I go just in case.

I've never laughed so hard at anything on ATS. Ever. A good dose of satirical humour always makes my morning.

...You are joking, right?
edit on 9-8-2011 by Xaphan because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-8-2011 by Xaphan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Last night when I got home I did try a bit of spermenting with a straw filled with a few grains of gun powder... the heated forceps did work and as suggested letting them cool before unclamping worked best...

my idea of using a magnifying glass does work too, only before I had time to test it out with my bullseye filled straw it started to rain.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by KaiserSoze
Another tip:
I heard, that in a survival situation if there is no water available, you can drink your own urine.
So I always take a two liter bottle of it wherever I go just in case.

Thank you. I laughed long and hard. My GF giggled uncontrollably.
edit on 9-8-2011 by gentledissident because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Hey man if you store drugs in melted straws you could get aressted. My friend does the same with his adhd pills.when we go.swimming, anyways.he got in big trouble because the pills were not in the perscribtion case.

Also tweakers have.been known to.sell meth it straws to thats probably why my buddy got busted.

But in your medical case im sure yhe cops will understand

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   

I just ran across his tip today when I did a search on you because I wanted to ask you to add me to your friends list. I hate when I miss your tips. Would you try stuffing one of these with dryer lint for starting fires because Im chicken to try it. My straws are white and I need to have the clear ones . Im not a suvivalist myself but what a great tip to pass to my brothers. THANKS
Let me know if storing dryer lint is a good idea or .......not.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Magantice

I would be proud to call you friend and no... I wouldn't use a straw for lint...
there's a better way...
go read this other thread of mine you missed
DIY: Dryer Lint Fire-Starters
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by CitizenNum287119327

DaddyBare. Good tip.

For your few days of medication....

Have you tried filling a sealed straw with 1 days worth, then crimp the straw, add 2nd days, crimp straw, etc.

That way, you would have each days med in it's own compartment along the straw.

Out Bush, you only need to open 1 at a time, and the rest is still sealed. No need to take pliers, and fire to reseal.

Lemme ask you something please. To all you practicing survivalists who depend on pills, have you asked your physician for a two-year supply? If not, how does that work?

I dunno. If this world falls a part and all infrastructure fails and it's every man for himself, I'd personally want to die. For I made a cognizant decision to survive to live and not the other way around.

But, to each his own

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   

I just read it.....wow thanks. I will save all my candle stubs for my brothers and my flannel lint. I cant be on ATS all the time as I have holly housewife crap to do plus my research so , I hate it when I miss your tips.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

Well I don't normally keep a large amount of my blood pressure pills on hand, unless I know I'm going to be away... kind of the good thing about Pharmacies is no matter where in the world I am I can get a least a few to tide me over....

keeping my fingers crossed but ever since I had my gallbladder removed last March my blood pressure has come down a lot... if fact a lot of my health issues seem to have been connected to that too... Going to have to stop my old fat man jokes pretty soon as I've dropped 60 pounds...

you are right your health is everything...

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
That's a brilliant tip. Hope I'm in a situation where I can show that off sometime,

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I never thought of doing this DB, but I will now! Thanks for the awesome tip. No doctor will prescribe you a two year supply of any medication to my knowledge. 90 days is about the limit. Medications have a shelf-life like everything else and become less potent with age.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Have you ever tried heating the pliers instead? I ask because holding a heat source close to the "cargo" might result in burnt spices if you aren't careful.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thestargateisreal

Have you ever tried heating the pliers instead? I ask because holding a heat source close to the "cargo" might result in burnt spices if you aren't careful.

Somewhere buried in all the pages I wrote about how I figured out to use a pair of hemostats to seal...
the trick there is to let them cool before unclasping, otherwise you end up with a sticky unsealed mess... still you dont need a lot of heat.... if the plastic starts to burn you've used to much.... takes a while to get the knack of it... I'm up to like an 85% success rate... meaning most of my attempts seal... without having to try a second time

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join