It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronaut John Glenns Speech on Frasier

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
A couple of months ago i was given a Frasier box-set for my birthday and have only really got round to watching them this past couple of weeks since the weather over here hasnt been all that great (which is strange for this time of year to say the least).

Anyway, last week i was watching Season 8 Episode 15 entitled 'Docu. Drama' which guest stars John Glenn, astronaut and after retiring from NASA a senator from 1974-99. Some of you may know him as the first American to orbit the Earth.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0a20e7fd6215.jpg[/atsimg]

At one point in this episode, Glenn sits down and begins talking, not to the characters on the show but its almost as if he is talking to 'us' the viewers.

The plot, such as it is, deals with Frasier's producer Roz, who wants to do a show on the space program "because it’s 2001." Glenn is brought in to narrate, and through a series of circumstances ends up lying to Roz to protect Frasier. Once he is caught in this lie, he apologizes and adds the statement "I was misled. It's not like me to be that underhanded."

An argument ensues between Frasier and Roz, and they retire to the control room to have it out in private. As they do, Glenn -- in the studio all by himself -- begins to recite the words, completely out of context with anything else that has happened in the show, or with the action now taking place behind him in the control room. As he does so, he does not address any of the characters around him. In fact, he looks directly into the camera, solely addressing the audience at home watching throughout America.

Heres the clip... his speech begins at 1:50 but you may want to watch it all so you understand whats going on.

Google Video Link

Heres the transcription incase some of you are not able to watch the video...

"Back in those glory days, I was very uncomfortable when they asked us to say things we didn't want to say and deny other things. Some people asked, you know, were you alone out there? We never gave the real answer, and yet we see things out there, strange things, but we know what we saw out there. And we couldn't really say anything. The bosses were really afraid of this, they were afraid of the War of the Worlds type stuff, and about panic in the streets. So we had to keep quiet. And now we only see these things in our nightmares or maybe in the movies, and some of them are pretty close to being the truth."

Doesnt this seem strange to any of you? It did to me but i soon forgot about it until yesterday when i was reading Dark Mission by Richard Hoagland where he brought up this exact same speech (which was kind of like a sign to me
) and he made some very good points aswell...

Let's consider this a moment: assume that everything the doubters say is true, that Glenn was “just invited” to be on this show, and for whatever reason decided to accept. As a true American hero, a distinguished Senator from Ohio and former presidential candidate, Glenn would obviously have some leverage on the script. So imagine his reaction when he is handed his copy of the words he is to speak. In his most crucial scene, he’s asked to:

-Admit he is a liar.
-Admit that the Agency which sent him into space twice -- making him everything he is today, astronaut, Senator and American hero, not to mention a man of some personal wealth -- has also lied.
-Admit that the Brookings recommendations to cover-up any discovery of extraterrestrial ruins or life are true.
-Admit that he and his colleagues were so shattered by what they saw that they have had "nightmares" ever since.
-Admit that some film portrayals about the UFO subject are accurate.

If you take away Frasier and Rozs imputs in the scene and the fake laughs which are used even though there is actually nothing funny at all about what he is saying, then i think you get an American Astronaut confessing what he knows and has experienced under a blanket of comedy.

And of course, if we were right, if the Brookings study -- which pointed to the "War of the Worlds" scenario specifically cited by Glenn in his speech as a justification for suppression of evidence of extraterrestrial activity -- were not merely a forty-year-old “recommendation” but current policy, then this is exactly the context in which Glenn would "tell all." Doing it on a comedy show would give him exactly the kind of political cover he would need to come clean.

Thought i would post this as i had never heard of this mentioned before and after doing a search here on ATS and finding only one referance to it, i though i may as well just incase some of you were not aware of it.

Also would love to hear everyones thoughts on what Glenn has to say. Confession? Or just reading the script?

For extra reading and analysis visit this Link.

There is one last point which puts this whole weird affair into its appropriate context.

It was Glenn who approached the "Frasier" people to do this specific show.

Now, isn't that funny?

Peace and remember, keep it clean

edit on 8-8-2011 by iksose7 because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-8-2011 by iksose7 because: vid fix

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
So they weren't allowed to say this but it just happened to be allowed on the Frasier box set? Not sure but here's a possibility: the moon landing was fake, so now they are trying to make it seem like John Glenn "saw something" up there which reinforces the myth that they actually went to the moon as opposed to it being recorded at area 51. This may not be the true story but if I were to tell you I traveled to the center of the earth and you didn't believe me, if I was a compulsive liar I just might make up stories of seeing "things" at the center of the earth but then say I was not allowed to talk about it or the government would kill me just so I might get the benefit of the doubt. Sure, it's a bit complex but so is faking the moon (or going there for that matter and then suddenly stopping).

edit: The clip is very strange, more strange than funny. Some of the laugh tracks are appropriate others not ("some of what's shown in the movies is true" -laugh, why the laugh at that?) I get that John Glenn is making a heart felt speech while Frasier and the lady are arguing, that by itself is kinda funny but oftentimes what's happening the background is more intriguing than what's happening in the foreground. Good work finding this and it is a very strange speech, but I still think the whole thing was a hoax so this is just a way of getting more curiosity and not letting the myth die.
edit on 8-8-2011 by filosophia because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-8-2011 by filosophia because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I remember seeing this episode of Frasier and coming to the exact same conclusion that you have. I tried to tell my girlfriend what was really happening, and she just told me I was crazy and walked away as usual. But considering Glenn's history and the fact that he approached them, I think the anecdotal evidence here is as solid as such evidence can get. Although I would like to add that anything Hoagland says is more suspect than it otherwise would be just for him having discussed it.
edit on 8/8/11 by HenryTwoTimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Has anybody ever asked Glenn about this appearance and its origin and context?

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I saw this when it aired here in the UK , but I saw it for what it was .....Comedy , Glenns Speech see's him spilling his guts on the NASA coverup while Frasier and Roz are too busy arguing and miss it , Irony at its best

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Giving it to the Senator.
www.upi.com...

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Looks to me like it's a part of the script in a television show, and not a confessional.

2nd line.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by professornurbs

I just think it's political satire set in a very funny situation. Nothing more to me can be read from this in my eyes. Entertaining catch though, it's actually very funny!

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
honestly, I think he played it up...the rumors anmd such....the writers are probably fans of conspiracy and playted it up on the show for this....
no real conspiracy here

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Well, I must say you did a very nice job on your presentation. Sources,Video,and recap of the video. You sure made it easy to get the whole picture.

Enough time has now gone by no matter what anybody says about the events,plausible deniabilty can be in full force now.
Take a Sit-Com, let an ex astronaut guy say anything 50 years later,and it can be explained away as a "senile old guy."

Maybe yes,maybe no.

I recently read(can't remember where) someone asking the question why no books from the Moon era out of NASA? Out of ALL those employees,not one book from mission control employees describing the events from the launchpads to Huston. NO books. Why?

Great thread.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by professornurbs
Giving it to the Senator.
www.upi.com...

Glenn’s only response, “I haven't been hit like that in 30 years.”

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by VraxUK

I saw the episode and someone posted they saw it already so I didnt. Everytime someone mentions his name it reminds of that picture.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Although I think in this circumstance this was just scripted sitcom, I do think many of our astronauts have seen things that are truly not of this earth. I have a feeling that within the next 20 years or so some private confessions of many of them will be released posthumously just as we are seeing with many things held under wraps, i.e. Jackie O's tapes.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
It did seem odd... but prolly just comedy... but thank you for reminding me of how HOT Rozz was!

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Astronauts are the exception I think when it comes to UFO info, they are highly trained, very intelligent, and have hundreds and hundreds of hours of flight time under their belt. I think that they also have a closer touch and or glimpse on humanity than most of us, as 99.99% of people will never go into space and view our beautiful planet as they have seen it. These guys and gals are the real deal and when we have astronauts that come forward and disclose or reveal certain things about what they have seen or experienced while in space or in flight, then in my humble opinion it should be taken very seriously.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by CharlesBronson

Bad link, can you fix?

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by iksose7

towards the end of the clip he was doing some sort of hand gestures on his head,any idea what that was?
or if it was significant?
I'm curious as to what movies he was referring to,I mean really what could he have seen that would give them nightmares?Could it be the movie Alien??....that gives me the willies
edit on 8-8-2011 by TWILITE22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by TWILITE22
reply to post by iksose7

towards the end of the clip he was doing some sort of hand gestures on his head,any idea what that was?
or if it was significant?
I'm curious as to what movies he was referring to,I mean really what could he have seen that would give them nightmares?Could it be the movie Alien??....that gives me the willies
edit on 8-8-2011 by TWILITE22 because: (no reason given)

I'm glad you mentioned that, i forgot to give my thoughts in it. I think hes recreating a UFO zipping around in space. Thats what came to my head as soon as i saw him do it.

As for the movies, i think this episode was released in 2001 so it could be any movie prior to then that had anything to do with aliens and UFOs.

I hope hes not seen anything to do with ANY of the Alien movies! That is the stuff of nightmares. Many a disturbed night as a child after watching them

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by niceguybob

I recently read(can't remember where) someone asking the question why no books from the Moon era out of NASA? Out of ALL those employees,not one book from mission control employees describing the events from the launchpads to Huston. NO books. Why?

There's always the remote possibility that you're an ignorant crackpot who has arrogantly confused the limits of his own meagre knowledge with the entire scope of the world's knowledge. Start with Sy Liebergot's book, and after you've read a few dozen others of the books and memoirs you claim don't exist, come back and ask that your moron certificate be rescinded.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by CharlesBronson
Astronauts are the exception I think when it comes to UFO info, they are highly trained, very intelligent, and have hundreds and hundreds of hours of flight time under their belt. I think that they also have a closer touch and or glimpse on humanity than most of us, as 99.99% of people will never go into space and view our beautiful planet as they have seen it. These guys and gals are the real deal and when we have astronauts that come forward and disclose or reveal certain things about what they have seen or experienced while in space or in flight, then in my humble opinion it should be taken very seriously

So you're ready to accept what Story Musgrave told the MUFON conference last week about astronaut encounters on space flights? That there aren't any?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join