It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

i think i may have killed something i very much love,

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
So here i am on my daughters emachine netbook,, This is what happened lastnight, i was enjoying a little look around ATS with a white wine and lemonade in my hand, and helllo, all of a sudden my 12 week old pu

Firsty this is my daughters netbook not mine , anywayy last night with a white wine and lemonade and had a little surf around ats, suddenly i was joined unexpectedly by my 10 week old puppy, i dont think i need to give anymore details, i removed the battery and lay the pc with the keys facing down all night, to no avail, its stilll buggered the keys wont respond mainly, ive sort of had a little clean of them, but if i could just get past the 'password ;protection at least i could get into the computer, any ideas for a plonker?

'
edit on 8-8-2011 by thedoctorswife because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Hrmm... once I was borrowing a friend's netbook, and, being the complete drunken idiot I am, I spilled beer all over the keyboard.

The keyboard did not work, but otherwise the rest of it did. In the meantime I plugged in a spare keyboard and mouse to be able to use it, until I got a chance to fix it.

What I did was remove the keyboard and take out the (very sticky) circuit board. I washed it with distilled water thoroughly until all the stickiness was gone. Then I left it to dry, and when it was dry, I re-installed it. The keyboard worked fine after that.

So, I would recommend cleaning it properly by taking it out and doing what I did. In the meantime though, just get another cheap old keyboard and plug into the USB. I believe that would be less trouble than trying to 'hack' into it, etc.

Not sure if that would help, I am the trying to understand your predicament.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
From your post I am guessing that the laptop still turns on. You might have gotten lucky, some laptops have a nice size tray under the keys which could have prevented any liquid in reaching the motherboard or anything else.

Best thing I can say is to remove the keyboard try from the machine and clean with rubbing alcohol and hydrogen peroxide. If you are not comfortable with this or feel you might break something, it might cost a little more but you could always take it into a computer shop and have them remove the keyboard try for you and clean it for you. I would NOT suggest to just leave the laptop with them as another "problem" might be found and you are left with a totally dead laptop or your hard drive could be "reviewed."

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I would give it a few more days lol Oh how this has happened to me a good few times, It may be worth replacing parts if the whole item is not damaged

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Without reading the other comments too much, i kind of agree, there's still some kind of life in it!

You'd know if it had died, you smell it!

If it's not booting anymore, there's a slim chance you could of borked the HDD or the memory, but both are cheaper than a new lappy...

if it's asking for a password are you into windows yet, or is this at the bios? (bios battery failing would cause p/w reset?)

anyway... you're a plum, but we've all done it

edit on 8-8-2011 by Beavers because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
A hairdryer on its cool setting could help speed up the drying process if it isn't fully dry yet

Depending on your confidence levels you can take out and replace just the keyboard of a laptop like this and buy a replacement for around £30 on ebay

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Yeah, i think every second person who spends majority of time on their keyboards has been through it. Hell i've done it three times and counting to some very expensive keyboards

But still sucks

However if it can boot up into windows your really really lucky with it being a laptop. If it's just the keyboard, pop the covers off the screen hinges by opening the laptop all the way, go on ebay search for your laptop keyboard replacement and pop out the bad one and put in the new one.
That's only if it's just the keyboard, if the touchpad or monitor or anything else is gone then you'll have to replace it.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I'm a network / computer tech with the government in my province, currently working on a massive netbook for students initiative. I've seen, and fixed, many of these.

Before i say to much, is this a personal netbook, or one supplied by a school? If the latter, obviously, you'd have to get the school techs to repair it.

Firstly, you did the right thing, let it dry out as much as possible before trying to turn it on. Your main worry, if it still turns on, is the sugars that will crystalize inside the device, this is not good and someone who knows how will need to open the case and ensure no connections are damaged and remove any gunk from the fan area.

Anyways......

USB keyboard. If your netbook keyboard is not responding at all, plug in a USB keyboard and try from that.

Depending on the make and model of the netbook, you might be able to wipe the startup password (not windows) by removing the cmos battery, and system batter, for a few minutes. Sadly, this probably won't work as the Dells we have have no method of recovery if that password is lost. For us we'd have to send it to dell, much like our HP laptops, and have the board completely replaced.

(bios battery failing would cause p/w reset?)

not on any current machines, most new machines store the security password on a separate chip in the board, removing the cmos battery wipes the settings, but not the passwords. Depending on the bios version (ami, phoenix etc) you can try some cmos wiping or brute forcing tools. Of course this user actually has the password but the keyboard won't respond.

Replacement keyboards are quite cheap. For the dell netbooks we currently deal with it's 2 screws on the underside (clearly marked) to release the keyboard, then a simple ribbon cable to actually connect it to the board. Some models have little clips near the top of the keyboard that you have to move before it will pop out.

Any chance you'd give us the make and model (no serials or anything, something like Dell Latitude 2110)?
edit on 8-8-2011 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beavers
Without reading the other comments too much, i kind of agree, there's still some kind of life in it!

You'd know if it had died, you smell it!

If it's not booting anymore, there's a slim chance you could of borked the HDD or the memory, but both are cheaper than a new lappy...

if it's asking for a password are you into windows yet, or is this at the bios? (bios battery failing would cause p/w reset?)

anyway... you're a plum, but we've all done it

edit on 8-8-2011 by Beavers because: (no reason given)

Yes plum doesnt exactly describe how i feel at them moment if i reallly said id get a slapped wrist

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
A hairdryer on its cool setting could help speed up the drying process if it isn't fully dry yet

Depending on your confidence levels you can take out and replace just the keyboard of a laptop like this and buy a replacement for around £30 on ebay

Thanks dave,,, but this is ME were talking about, i couldnt pull an orange apart,

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

emachine 350

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
What is currently happening is that i try to enter the password, and 2 dots will come up for the first letter of the password which is t, and this happened all the way through the password, and i end up with about 20 dots on the log in screen.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Very cool link!

Thank you!

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners

imhaving a go and taking it apart (god help me) but mines a 350 not a 250 does it matter

join