It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2011 Global Stock Market Collapse Watch

page: 35
<< 32  33  34    36  37  38 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
In a recent poll being conducted on MarketWatch, it shows some pretty unnerving numbers concerning the markets.

What's your response to market plunge?

I've had enough, sold most of my portfolio. 22.12%
A little nervous, trimmed some holdings. 18.99%
I made big bet on market drop -- go, gold, go. 19.57%
I'm a deer in headlights -- nothing at all. 39.32%

40%of the investors are either repelled or spooked. The other 60% appear to be either clueless or have bought into the gold ponzi. International banks are collapsing and Cenral Banks are in full-time damage control.

edit on 18-8-2011 by OuttaTime because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
OMX Helsinki dropped 5.94% and OMX Stockholm dropped 6.18%. OMX Copenhagen dropped "only" 4.48% and OMX Nordic dropped 6.20%.

Seems pretty bad. Only places where markets are not crashing are Jakarta, Brazil and Egypt.

Its interesting that 5th night is beginning from mayan calendar. But after this fall according to it, flowering begans.
edit on 18-8-2011 by Thebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Markets will fall even lower, just let the day go by, tomorrow is going to be a roller coaster, see what the Franco-German meeting did was nothing but laughed at the faces of the hopeful EU bankers that wanted bailout no a power grab to prop the Euro.

Hope was driving the markets in the las few days that they were up and after the downfall last week.
edit on 18-8-2011 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I thought it was going to happen swiftly last week but got that completely wrong. I am thinking at least for today that if you see the DOW down 4% it will probably close down near 6%. That's my guess and there is not much good news forthcoming to stimulate markets. Corporate buybacks only reach so far (these were the probable reason for markets turning upwards during all this).

Add: Just look at the largest economy in Europe's market DAX: 52 week range: 52wk Range: 5,487.82 - 7,600.41 -28% since MAY!!
edit on 18-8-2011 by TheRemedial because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
If markets keep falling like they have been today, I expect more companies to follow what Sears has done this year. They also had a pretty rough time today.

Sears posts wider loss, shuts 29 stores

NEW YORK (MarketWatch) — Sears Holdings Corp., parent company of Sears department stores and Kmart discount chain, reported Thursday a bigger-than-expected second-quarter loss, after weakening demand led to increased promotions and clearance sales.

To cut costs amid lower demand, Sears shut 29 stores, including both Kmart and Sears; converted 14 Sears Grand stores to Kmart; and shut seven product repair center locations. It also cut about 250 support jobs on top of positions reduced from the closings and store conversions. It took a charge of $48 million for the restructuring moves.

With the way markets have been going, Im thinking they will close more by the end of the year.

Canadian stocks are getting hit a little bit to, but not as bad as Europe and the US

Canadian stocks roiled by global economic fears

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Thebel

Brazil

"Rousseff took over the post, remaining in office until March 31, 2010, when she left in order to run for President.[2] She was elected in a run-off on 31 October 2010. She is the first female elected President of Brazil, in addition to being the first economist elected for the office.[4]

" first economist elected for the office"

could be why.
dont know about the others.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Another thing, the Q3 is not allowing for money to be printed out, the federal government have to do cuts in order to finance the budget, this means that is not "supposed" to be any more bailout to the "too big to fail" unless congress do a special session, still with US bonds at the lowest the fed is not going to be able to sell much.

The experts are calling this downfall a recession but don't tell that to the hopeful American people because they are not going to believe it[/b

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
The experts are calling this downfall a recession but don't tell that to the hopeful American people because they are not going to believe it

The big double dip recession is at play. This is the beginning. I think it'll be apparent in October, and officially announced next March. Just random guesses really, but all of the old rules are out of the window and we are in uncharted territory here.
edit on 18-8-2011 by majesticgent because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by majesticgent

The bailouts were able to delay the recession barely, but the job market tells another story on the situation in our nation economically

It seems that in order for the markets to thrive needs regular infusions on bailout money.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
anybody have any picks for companies that are doing well?

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Watch the 3:30 hour in the market. That's when margin calls come in and selling could really pick up. It could be bad considering the market dropped below some key technical levels, I don't think a lot of investors were expecting that.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Gold prices over the past year have seen gains of +44.95% ($552.70 US)
DOW over the same period as of right now is +1000pts
Gas prices at a low over the last year at the pumps $2.58/Gal now $3.86/Gal
Oil price lows from over 1 year $78 currently $83

Now lets get to the big picture.

1 year ago Oil at $78 = $2.58 at the pumps, Today $83 = $3.86
1 year ago $1275 bought you an ounce of Gold, Today $1820

I could go into the inflation of food prices as well etc but there is no point.. The numbers are staring at you in the face do the math and you can see the scope of problems to come considering there is no positive news coming.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Idont think investors realize that the above, date is ,, the start,,what we have experienced since then was the recovery,
and were right back were we started,
only deeper in debt.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
If everything collapses back like it did in 2008, or if it's even worse than that, Im not sure what will happen especially since the US government had that debt-deal thing (not supposed to spend anymore).

The talks of another recession have heated up since last week, and atleast to me, continue to grow. Here's something that just came out on marketwatch.

US, Europe may be close to recession: Analysts

NEW YORK (MarketWatch) — Morgan Stanley analysts cut their outlook for global economic growth in a note late Wednesday, and sounded alarm bells that the U.S. and Europe are “hovering dangerously close to a recession.”

The analysts lowered their global economic growth in 2011 to 3.9%, down from a previous estimate of 4.2%. They now see growth for 2012 at 3.8%, down from 4.5%.

Japans problems, Europes debt problems, US recession fears, confidence failing, market fear, stalling economies, and everything else are making it closer and closer.

Policy errors in the U.S. and Europe, as well as the prospect of fiscal tightening, is eroding business and consumer confidence, it added.

Some analysts still say there's hope, but we are teetering on the edge right now.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
President Obama has pushed back his vacation departure until the market close. The worst must be yet to come.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by IamAbeliever

Interesting indeed. Where did you hear this from? I imagine he might be giving another impromptu speech before his vacation starts.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
if he gives a speech can he atleast wait untill after 4

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by IamAbeliever

I guess is about to get worst, last night millions were taken out of the markets, thats one of the fears driving the markets also some entity tap into some type of emergency funds over night that is in dollars, that is been scrutinized also, the funds are to help when is an imminent need, I am still trying to find more on that.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by majesticgent

I saw it on breakingnews.com. No link to an article though.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Post this article because it seems we are headed back to that low from the date it was written. Just adding that I noticed it does not take into account early August losses..even worse...

August 11, 2011
The world economy is deteriorating faster than anticipated. In April, stock markets worldwide soared to $59.2 trillion; in May and June, markets lost almost $2.9 trillion. In July, these losses more than doubled to close to $6 trillion. In other words, during the past three months, stock markets across the world have lost almost $9 trillion – that is, some 15% from their peak in April.

www.economonitor.com...

For the last several months we have been posting our Economic Output Composite Index and warning that it was heading to levels that typically denote that the economy is in a recession or about to be in one.

Greece Threatens To Unwind Second Bailout By Agreeing To Finland Collateral Demands

www.zerohedge.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 32  33  34    36  37  38 >>

join