It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marange diamond field: Zimbabwe torture camp discovered

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Marange diamond field: Zimbabwe torture camp discovered

www.bbc.co.uk

A torture camp run by Zimbabwe's security forces is operating in the country's rich Marange diamond fields, BBC Panorama has found.

The programme heard from recent victims who told of severe beatings and sexual assault.

The claims come as the European Union pushes to let some banned diamonds from the country led by President Robert Mugabe back onto world markets.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
[url=http://www.newzimbabwe.com/pages/china9.12892.html

www.newzimbabwe.com[/url]
edit on 8-8-2011 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 03:53 AM
link   

"Even if someone dies there, the soldiers do not disclose, because they do not want it known," an officer in Zimbabwe's military told the BBC, again on condition of anonymity.

Witnesses said the camps have been operating for at least three years.

In Marange, the police and military recruit civilians to illegally dig for diamonds for them. Those workers are taken to the camps for punishment if they demand too large a share of the profits.

Zimbabwe did not respond. The "internal document" that the BBC got hold of is now a 404.

The EU wanted to allow diamonds back on the market from the mines that "supposedly" were doing better in humanitarian rights' terms.

But now -- it seems dog maulings, whippings, mock drownings, clubbing by logs, and other fun pastimes are carried out by the Zimbabwe police and military.

In the name of.......MONEY! Diamonds. Ah, yes, diamonds.
Zimbabwe, where three eggs cost 10billion dollars a few years ago.
Zimbabwe, where white nationals (born there citizens) are being forced off of their farms by non-whites.

Last updated: 11/12/2009 09:59:18
THE International Monetary Fund has demanded Zimbabwe make good on a government pledge to stop farm invasions which have crippled commercial agriculture amid worsening food shortages, local media reported
on Thursday.

www.newzimbabwe.com...

And that was two years ago. It's still going on.
Is there any part of this world that is NOT corrupt?
Anyone?

Mugabe goes begging in China

ZIMBABWEAN President Robert Mugabe will meet top Chinese leaders during a six-day visit, state media said on Sunday, amid efforts to secure alternative credit lines as western nations snub the southern African nation.

Also two years ago....notice that if you click the link, the last update to the newzimbabwe website is two years ago. A refresh shows the page is down. But you can still click the stories.

Wonder what happened to newzimbabwe.com? Their forum link is also removed from ProBoard.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 8-8-2011 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Diamonds are forever.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   
two words:

'blood diamonds' and that will NEVER EVER change.

as long as the population of Africa itself doesn't profit from these diamonds, mining should be stopped.
they're still getting raped from resources just like 300 years ago.

only difference is, the attrocities hardly get mentioned because we re-installed their government with our own puppets who are just as corrupt and we control the flow of information.
absolutely sickening!

diamonds are dirty bussines

edit on 8-8-2011 by kn0wh0w because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 04:26 AM
link   
This is a confused story.

Who really owns those mines? Who tells the soldiers what to do?

The mining interests in Africa have traditionally been European. Both gold and diamonds.

We are told that this is a case of a local politician trying to take advantage of a diamond field in his country to enrich himself and his soldiers. Well, that wouldn't be the first time someone took advantage of others to enrich themselves!

But it is discouraging when it seems that the Africans are playing the same games that the Europeans have played for so long.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by l_e_cox

But it is discouraging when it seems that the Africans are playing the same games that the Europeans have played for so long.

The world has played the same game for thousands of years, no nation is exempt.

We are making progress albeit slowly.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Goathief

its hard to say were making progress when were really moving in all directions at once, like an explosion. Theres worse things coming to light now just as much as there is progress.
edit on 8-8-2011 by Amassuo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 05:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Amassuo

At least these things are coming to light now (while they are happening no less), which rarely happened in the past when atrocities were buried. This gives us a chance to make change when it matters most.

As for in general, medical care, technology and subsequently life expectancy is on the up but that's taking it somewhat off-topic...

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by kn0wh0w
two words:

as long as the population of Africa itself doesn't profit from these diamonds, mining should be stopped.

only difference is, the attrocities hardly get mentioned because we re-installed their government with our own puppets who are just as corrupt and we control the flow of information.
absolutely sickening!

While "blood diamonds" ARE a nasty business, you need to remember that the people doing the torturing are black Africans; just like the ones who sold their brethren as slaves to white slave traders 300 years ago.

Don't play the race card when it's the only ace you hold.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by OldCorp

two words:

absolutely sickening!

While "blood diamonds" ARE a nasty business, you need to remember that the people doing the torturing are black Africans; just like the ones who sold their brethren as slaves to white slave traders 300 years ago.

so our hands are clean?

we're not supporting those attrocities by buying precious jewelry?

on a side note;
we're not to blame for slavery because brothers sold out other brothers 300 years ago?
are you freaking kidding me?

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

i'm not playing the race card either.

just wanted to point out in general, diamonds are a nasty and shady bussines.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Yes, exactly the same as the ANC camps like Quattro.

Brutal animal savages, that's all these politically minded thugs are.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
this could well translate into

'debeers no long have the monopoly on diamonds, we need to bomb someone'

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by kn0wh0w

It is highly doubtful that anyone alive can be blamed for slavery.
Your point is mute.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by MasterGemini
reply to post by kn0wh0w

It is highly doubtful that anyone alive can be blamed for slavery.
Your point is mute.

don´t look at me.

i didn´t bring it up and i didn´t make the comparison.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Goathief

Originally posted by l_e_cox

The world has played the same game for thousands of years, no nation is exempt.

We are making progress albeit slowly.

Intellignet post, agreed

Its a power and greed thing.

edit on 8/8/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   

two words:

absolutely sickening!

so our hands are clean?

on a side note;
we're not to blame for slavery because brothers sold out other brothers 300 years ago?

Blood, or Conflict Diamonds are illegal to buy on the world market. There should be NO diamonds from this region in circulation at all, so no one who buys an engagement ring bears any responsibility for the violence in Africa. If you must blame someone, blame smugglers and thieves, and not the guy that owns the jewelery store in the mall or the people who buy his product, because they don't sell Conflict Diamonds.

And nobody alive today is to blame for slavery in any way, shape, or form. I have never owned a slave, nor did my father, grandfather, or great-grandfather. My ancestors were poor indentured servants from Ireland, who weren't treated much better than blacks in the 1800's. Nor were any living black US citizens, or their fathers, or grandfathers slaves. So no, I'm not kidding.

ETA: And you were the one who brought it up; with this statement:

You were implying that white people were responsible for slavery then as well as the suffering going on in Africa now. I was simply pointing out that you are wrong.

Have a nice day.
edit on 8/8/2011 by OldCorp because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   

two words:

absolutely sickening!

so our hands are clean?

on a side note;

Blood, or Conflict Diamonds are illegal to buy on the world market. There should be NO diamonds from this region in circulation at all, so no one who buys an engagement ring bears any responsibility for the violence in Africa. If you must blame someone, blame smugglers and thieves, and not the guy that owns the jewelery store in the mall or the people who buy his product, because they don't sell Conflict Diamonds.

And nobody alive today is to blame for slavery in any way, shape, or form. I have never owned a slave, nor did my father, grandfather, or great-grandfather. My ancestors were poor indentured servants from Ireland, who weren't treated much better than blacks in the 1800's. Nor were any living black US citizens, or their fathers, or grandfathers slaves. So no, I'm not kidding.

ETA: And you were the one who brought it up; with this statement:

You were implying that white people are responsible for slavery then as well as the suffering going on in Africa now. I was simply pointing out that you are wrong.

Have a nice day.

i fully understand your point and agree with you a lot.
but i've seen a documentary about ordinairy jewelers who got their hands on dirty diamonds, not matter what cost.
the name of the documentary slipped my mind, i'll try to look for it.

we've got our hands dirty as well because we're doing little - nothing to stop these practices.

plus you made it look like slavery was their own fault by saying that their own people sold them off.
maybe i misunderstood?

but i agree with you for the most part, no hard feelings

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   

i fully understand your point and agree with you a lot.
but i've seen a documentary about ordinairy jewelers who got their hands on dirty diamonds, not matter what cost.
the name of the documentary slipped my mind, i'll try to look for it.

we've got our hands dirty as well because we're doing little - nothing to stop these practices.

Other than banning the import/export/possession of Conflict Diamonds, and jailing those who traffic in them, what can be done? Boots on the ground?

plus you made it look like slavery was their own fault by saying that their own people sold them off.
maybe i misunderstood?

but i agree with you for the most part, no hard feelings

Perhaps I was unclear. Of course slavery was not the fault of the slaves, only the fault of those - black AND white - who trafficked them; and those people are, thankfully, dust.

No hard feelings whatsoever.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Hey can anyone give me update is it effect on diamond jewelry market.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join