It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

my laptop hard drive crapped out,-- any thoughts on a SATA cable to recover data?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
my laptop hard drive crapped out,-- any thoughts on a SATA cable to recover data?

i think i can buy one locally for 20 bucks..

it was the op system that failed.. and after a FREE replacement by dell..
im back online!!!

but i ran my business off my laptop,, i need to recover my lost files..

(i should have been current on BACKUP-ing )
but --- oh well

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by darrman

A sata cable is only good if you have a desktop to plug the hard drive into as a second drive as it will need a power source. If not you will need an enclosure, preferably with a seperate power cable which plugs into a wall outlet.

I've had mixed results from enclosures that only use the usb socket to power them. They often don't get enough voltage.

An e-sata version will be better than usb also, if your laptop supports it.

Hope that helps!

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grifter81
reply to post by darrman

A sata cable is only good if you have a desktop to plug the hard drive into as a second drive as it will need a power source. If not you will need an enclosure, preferably with a seperate power cable which plugs into a wall outlet.

I've had mixed results from enclosures that only use the usb socket to power them. They often don't get enough voltage.

An e-sata version will be better than usb also, if your laptop supports it.

Hope that helps!

Good advice, also there are many a few good versions of data recovery software aout there to, I have used several from Seagate (Link to Seagate Web Site)

Also plan on moving/recovering your data and moving all pertinent data to your new hard drive, and then creating a back up system for your data. You may use your old HD but that may require manual backups, I would suggest purchasing a new external drive. Most external drives have back up software already installed on them or available via download. These programs usual simplify the back up hassle.
edit on 8-8-2011 by mileysubet because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I would assume that a mechanical issue is at hand and in an instance that of upmost importance would be the sole time where one would do this where a disassembling of that one and an identical one and rebuild of the new with the old discs and keeping other parts as spares. I really don't know and is but an assumption. If it's just the operating system that failed; I think you might have been able to boot with use of ms-dos changing the cycle of startup prossess to cd-rom first and having your driver cd in . Not sure but I'm sure someone here is.
edit on 8-8-2011 by MichelJCardin because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   
The Black Widow will read a sata drive...

BlacX

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by MichelJCardin

Never disassemble a hard disk. Never ever unless you have access to a positive pressure clean room. One speck of dust and its toast.

Their hemetically sealed. If its hooked back up as a second drive theres a good chance the files darman needs will be recoverable.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shdak
The Black Widow will read a sata drive...

BlacX

kool looks right....

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by MichelJCardin
I would assume that a mechanical issue is at hand and in an instance that of upmost importance would be the sole time where one would do this where a disassembling of that one and an identical one and rebuild of the new with the old discs and keeping other parts as spares. I really don't know and is but an assumption.

disassembling a hard drive and reassembling is best left only as a last resort. disassembling hard rives for the purpose of data recovery is usually successfully ONLY DONE by professionals in a clean room.
edit on 8-8-2011 by mileysubet because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Two years ago, I stumbled over a shoe and dropped my laptop which had every home video I'd ever taken on the hard drive. The hard drive, I was told, was fried; but the Geek Squad at Circuit City was able to recover all of my irreplaceable data and put it on a new external hard drive. Since then, I've been careful to back up my data to two independent drives, so that if one fails, I always have a back-up.

I'm no computer expert by any means, but the Geek Squad has always come through for me.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Assuming you have a home network a network attatched storage (NAS) drive is quite a good backup tool. You can also access them from anywhere in the world as long as you have an internet connection.

Safe, secure and not that expensive.

new topics

top topics

join