It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Toronto police officer shoots suspect in leg

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
A Toronto police officer shot a man in the leg early Sunday after he refused to pull over during a criminal investigation, Ontario's police watchdog says.

The 32-year-old man was treated at Scarborough General Hospital and is now under arrest, says a spokeswoman for the Special Investigations Unit, which was called in a few hours after the shooting. Toronto police would not say what charges the man faces or why at least five plainclothes officers tried to stop his vehicle.

ca.news.yahoo.com...

Another story of excessive force perhaps? Not much is known about this one, not even the identity of the person who was shot. The reason I find this a bit notable is why five officers in street clothes stopped the suspect, also the suspect was unarmed as well

edit on 7-8-2011 by hypr2011 because: additional info

edit on 7-8-2011 by hypr2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
It is NEVER acceptable to shoot a suspect in the leg, or any other place to simply wound. If the gun is out, and you must use it, it should only be used for deadly force. If the suspect is not presenting enough of a threat to kill, then you ABSOLUTELY do not fire a weapon. I believe the ONLY police force in he World authorized to take non lethal shots is the German version of HRT.

The problem with shooting to wound is that if you make the tiniest of mistakes you may have just killed someone. f it is not acceptable to kill, it is not acceptable to take the risk.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Yea and Scarborough is not the safest part of Toronto either, which may cause problems in the future, I am not saying people there are going to riot like they did in London, but if the officer shot to kill then there could be some problems in Toronto.
edit on 7-8-2011 by hypr2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by hypr2011

Surprise Surprise ..

From the Article

Only the Toronto police officers will be witnesses in the SIU probe, she said.

The SIU is also composed and made up of mostly retired police officers.

So much for an independent investigations unit.

Sort of contradictory agency.

Seems like a redundant waste of Tax payer money.

Investigations that are already in favour of the Police from the Get Go

Btw i live in Ontario so i've read about the SIU's dirty laundry before.

Why have biased police officers investigate their fellow police officers.

Btw i'm pretty sure only 1 Police officer in the history of the SIU investigating Police action in Ontario has ever been convicted of wrong doing and served serious time i think or expulsion

The SIU is nothing more than

Essentially thugs covering for Police officers wrong doings.

To make a good image for the public. (To make it seem as if they are actually investigating the Police officers Wrong Doing)

Wikipedia- Special Investigations Unit- Accusations of Bias

Some have criticized as the SIU have almost always cleared the officers they investigated. Ontario Ombudsman Andre Martin launched an investigation and released a scathing 121 page report, for allowing the Police to conduct their own investigations into officers and for adopting an impotence stance when challenged by Police. Marin said "There's no doubt in my mind that an SIU investigation is one which is currently done through blue-coloured glasses. There is no doubt that there is a police bias in their approach to investigations". "The SIU has not only become complacent about ensuring that police officials follow the rules,it has bought into the fallacious argument that SIU investigations aren't like other criminal cases and it is acceptable to treat police witnesses differently from civilians," the report said.

edit on 7-8-2011 by TheUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Oh man, don't even suggest it! Did you see the video of the kids looting the store in Ottawa?

On topic, I want to put my money on negligent discharge.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Also Police Officers are above the law according to the SIU

They can speed in their Police cars while not responding to an emergency and without the lights on kill a pedestrian

and walk away free.

Anyone else would be charged with manslaughter

The cyclist ran a stop sign but doesn't matter the officer was speeding and the details are in this quote.

In one case, an officer not responding to a call and with no emergency lights on was driving 74 km/h in a 50-km/h zone and struck a cyclist that ran a stop sign.

The civilian was propelled into the air, and the impact broke his skull and bones in his back, chest and neck. The cyclist was also scalped. Scott wrote that while the officer's speed did not justify a dangerous driving criminal charge, “the subject officer was exceeding the speed limit at the point of impact by 24 km/h and according to the accident reconstructionist could have avoided the accident but for his rate of speed ... I leave issues of charges under the Highway Traffic Act to your police service.”

Toronto Star- Police Ignore SIU's Probes.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
seeing what is going on in England and the markets is going to boil over soon if a cop does another mistake like that and accidentally kill someone, though Toronto already got a taste of riots with the G8, and with an ultra conservative mayor who knows what will happen.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   

I doubt it tbh... Toronto is one of the new meccas of the New World Order.

new topics

top topics

join