It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Londons BURNING!

page: 79
<< 76  77  78    80  81  82 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by FOXMULDER147
Get the Prime Minister to threaten to cancel welfare unless the riots stop.

Problem solved. Peace in the UK.

Welfare is the only reason people don't riot!

If you stopped Welfare you wouldn't get people to behave, you'd incite a working class uprise that's never been seen before.

Welfare is what keeps poor people pacified.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by buttafuqua
Sorry I didn't read all 77 pages to realize that a comment was already made regarding guns. And while I agree that some of your thugs would have guns, so would your home and business owners. At the end of the day, I would prefer to be able to defend myself. Plus most thugs spend little time at the shooting range, and are horrible shots. While most of the responsible gun owners I know, myself included, spend time learning how to shoot so if in a situation which requires a gun arises, we would be able to actually shoot with accuracy.

The thing is, though, if the thugs have guns, then what shopkeeper in his right mind is going to draw a weapon when several looters have drawn theirs first ?

Not to mention the fact that the looters may shoot shop-workers on site, just to be on the safe side.

Anyway, if riots like this hit the US, you won't see too many English people making mocking comments about you ''smug Americans'' when reading about the high loss of innocent life that would inevitably ensue.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by NadaCambia

... and lazy, and unmotivated, and anti-social, and an inherent sense of entitlement.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Whoever theyre speaking to on the BBC is saying the sony centre is out of the way and not near other shops or houses, probably an industrial estate. But as they're saying, that means the people who set it on fire planned to do so, it wasn't just a random choice as they passed.

This shows at least some level of planning going into it, hopefully it was nothing more than a small group decision.
edit on 8-8-2011 by StevenDye because: Spelling, it's late.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by FOXMULDER147

The same sense of entitlement that allows them to break down a window to loot mobile phone stores. Welfare caused this problem and you couldn't be more correct.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

Are you kidding me? While perhaps there would be a few statements of support if the shoe was on the other foot, the vast majority of the English would be mocking our country far worse. It seems to be a particular favorite English past time. And I actually love England, and have lived in Sheffield for several years. Trying to be completely subjective, the average Englishmen treat Americans with contempt.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I think this is gonna get alot worse there's even rumors of riots in cardiff.
i think the government should stepdown or call a new election because people are realy
not happy with there policys and i think when the benefit cuts begin to hit home with
the most poorer we are gonna see alot worse imo,
i know these riots are not conected to that.
but i think it will cause alot more

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   

... and lazy, and unmotivated, and anti-social, and an inherent sense of entitlement.

Yep. I'm all for welfare being stopped, for similar reasons but probably also different reasons than you.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
0243: Martin Fricker, Daily Mirror

tweets: Turkish men armed with baseball bats are guarding businesses on Stoke Newington High Street #riots

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by NadaCambia

Welfare is the only reason people don't riot! If you stopped Welfare you wouldn't get people to behave, you'd incite a working class uprise that's never been seen before. Welfare is what keeps poor people pacified.

NadaCambia, you are right on with that comment. Stop the Food Stamp cards and the Welfare checks for just one time, and all hell will break loose right here in America. A lot of that Welfare money goes to buy drugs that people are hooked on, imagine a few thousand junkies who didn't get their checks. It would look like the villagers in the Frankenstein movie.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by StevenDye

Originally posted by TinfoilTP

That's what they all say till they get burned out and/or otherwise get the fear of God thrown into them.

You should at least get a few hundred attack dogs to set loose along with the riot cops, the dogs would run more down and make a good showing in the arrest category, also take the cockyness out of the pimple faced looters. Something mean with teeth, you Brits aren't against that too are you?

No of course not, and dogs have been deployed. But we are very heavy on animal welfare in this country (for the most part) and as you know have a far smaller population and therefore police force than America. So dogs have been deployed but there arn't enough of them to be everywhere.

Also, it's possible they were all deployed during the day and may have been taken back to rest now to be deployed again tomorrow.

edit on 8-8-2011 by StevenDye because: (no reason given)

Actually per capita area of land, the UK is far higher populated than the US. If you consider that the UK is pushing 70 million people and the US has about 200-250 million people (not sure on that number, maybe someone can enlighten me on the right amount). The UK is, I believe smaller than most States of the US. So, consider that that US population is 2.5 greater than the UK, but it has a landmass of over 50 times... You do the maths.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I feel like this is being allowed to happen

Why hasn't an emergency meeting been called sooner? Surely Cameron can go on some sort of video link? This is extremely serious, we haven't had unrest on this scale in recent history and it's only going to get worse

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   

if they cut the benifits what jobs are people gonna get ?
there are none.
theres not enough jobs to cut benefits. before they cut benefits they should make sure there's
enough jobs to go round.
but there are none.....

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
The ideology that the poor need to be "pacified" is utterly pathetic.

If a person had any self-respect and dignity they wouldn't need to be 'pacified', they would get off their lazy arse and get a job. And perhaps then they wouldn't be stealing TVs at 2am in the morning.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by nik1halo

Oh yes, we are farly more densly populated. But say for every 20 people there are 5 police officers and 1 police dog.

Overall we have less police officers and dogs to deply, that was my comment. Even by sending in support from other forces which we are, we don't have enough police dogs to put numbers on every street.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   

there's not enough jobs in the uk
especialy in the more poor area's

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   

You're forgetting the people who are seriously ill and unable to work, but sure, if you want to generalise all people on benefits like that then go ahead.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by slaine1978

if they cut the benifits what jobs are people gonna get ?
there are none.
theres not enough jobs to cut benefits. before they cut benefits they should make sure there's
enough jobs to go round.
but there are none.....

That's another story. The point is welfare works against the working class. It keeps us in a level just above nothingness.

Welfare was introduced to destroy labor rights and revolution. Why do you think the super-Capitalists and big business government introduced welfare, out of kindness? No, to curtail and ruin popular uprising, to keep the working class pacified.

It was a co-optation on behalf of the government

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by slaine1978

there's not enough jobs in the uk
especialy in the more poor area's

You mean not enough jobs that people want. There are plenty of jobs in this world, the entitlement mentality makes people feel like they are above these jobs.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by buttafuqua
Are you kidding me? While perhaps there would be a few statements of support if the shoe was on the other foot, the vast majority of the English would be mocking our country far worse. It seems to be a particular favorite English past time. And I actually love England, and have lived in Sheffield for several years. Trying to be completely subjective, the average Englishmen treat Americans with contempt.

That's not true.

The average Englishman doesn't have contempt for Americans. We may laugh or be puzzled at some of your quirky ways, but I'm sure the same is true the other way around.

Personally speaking, I think that your country's paranoid gun-fetish is rather alarming and dangerous, but at the same time I try to understand that you've just got a different cultural attitude to the issue.

What is grating, though, is when every single story about some form of violence in England comes in, you get Americans chiming in about how all of us should be armed and how it would never happen if we were. That's complete bollocks.

top topics

<< 76  77  78    80  81  82 >>

join