It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saudi Arabia withdraws ambassador from Syria

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   

"Saudi Arabia says it is withdrawing its ambassador from Syria, in protest against the crackdown on Syrian anti-government demonstrators.

In a statement broadcast across the Arab world, King Abdullah said the violence was "unacceptable".

It came hours after the Arab League issued its first official condemnation of the repression in Syria.

The BBC's Middle East correspondent says the move is a major escalation in international pressure on Damascus.

"The kingdom of Saudi Arabia... demands an end to the death machine and bloodshed and calls for acts of wisdom before it is too late," King Abdullah said.

"What is happening in Syria is not acceptable for Saudi Arabia. Either it (Syria) chooses wisdom on its own or it will be pulled down into the depths of turmoil and loss."

Saudi Recalls Ambassador

This is an extremely worrying development as far as I'm concerned. I don't want to fear monger, but is it just a coincidence that as stock markets are starting to tank around the world, we suddenly have this from Saudi?
edit on 7-8-2011 by kcoyote because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-8-2011 by kcoyote because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by kcoyote

So the Saudi Arabian Government condemns the Syrian Government for treating the protesters harshly and yet, anyone caught protesting in Saudi Arabia will be severely punished.

Bunch of hypocrite scum bags.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Interesting, so I can assume that there will be some sort of military action against Syria hence the recall of Saudi Ambassador before the bombs start falling?

Perhaps Washington called the Saudi's and told them to skedaddle if they still want their Ambassador with all his parts still attached.

I think the hypocrisy falls on the US and NATO for not doing the same thing to Syria as Libya. Although we all know why, two words, Russia + Iran.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Well I know that when the west was responding to the idea of military action, they said they would not because the arab league had not condemned Syria. In reality it's probably because they know it will start a massive conflict with Iran, possibly Russia etc. But now the arab league are criticizing.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Springheel Jack
Interesting, so I can assume that there will be some sort of military action against Syria hence the recall of Saudi Ambassador before the bombs start falling?

Perhaps Washington called the Saudi's and told them to skedaddle if they still want their Ambassador with all his parts still attached.

I think the hypocrisy falls on the US and NATO for not doing the same thing to Syria as Libya. Although we all know why, two words, Russia + Iran.

Actually the US and other coutries have ordered to evacuation of citizens. Syria has placed restrictions on all consulr staff, and have taken foreign nationals into custody while refusing to acnowledge the UN conventions on consular notification and access (If people are going to complain aout the US in that area, we hav every right to do the same).

Russian President Medev has sent communication to Assad essentially telling him this is not going to end well. Whatever is coming down the pipeline sounds like it has Russian support.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Russia has no clout anymore. They've often been on the side of Syria but they know now that somethings going to happen and they will have to throw their weight into it unfortunately they don't have any weight to throw so instead of looking very weak they are saving face and backing out now.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
Russia has no clout anymore. They've often been on the side of Syria but they know now that somethings going to happen and they will have to throw their weight into it unfortunately they don't have any weight to throw so instead of looking very weak they are saving face and backing out now.

Russias military has been on the mend and is very much capable... They have expanded their trades in oil and other strategic resources, and trhey control the gas valve for westrn europe.

I think they have more clout than people give them credit for in world affairs. Being a close ally of Syrias they have me clout there than other countries do.

I agree that something is coming if Russia is backing off of Syria though.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Well I would disagree that on a whole their military is improving but some of it may be. I know for certain though that they can't afford to have a sustained conflict. They are broke.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
reply to post by Xcathdra

Well I would disagree that on a whole their military is improving but some of it may be. I know for certain though that they can't afford to have a sustained conflict. They are broke.

Their 4th and 5th generation aircraft are very impressive...

New carriers on the way...

Better tank variants...

Their own GPS type system...

I wouldnt underestimate them...

Hitler did that once...

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Clearly, Russia is not adverse to action against Syria.
Saudi ambassador got the early warning....For why have they let the Syrian protests eveolve into such bloodshed if they werent setting the stage for war?
Syria is next on the list and it will go down soon.
First there will be more civillians massacred though, and the NATO cops will have to make a housecall.....
That brings in isreal possibly, with Iran jumping right in there too.....
China, Russia, India will sit this out let amerika bleed some more yet.....besides indis china pakistan have some showdown time comming too.....

top topics

join