It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should marriage really require a license?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
People think of marriage as a bond that would hold people together for eternity. There are people that think that marriage is something that should go on forever without people being able to divorce, or to split up with each other. If marriage really should go on forever and if the partners are really right for each other should marriage require a license at all?

To me, a marriage license is just something that gives two people legal jurisdiction to live with one another. It doesn't say that they will love each other forever. Now, with all the laws regarding adultery still around, should we really need a marriage license? I don't think a marriage license really does anything more than grant legal status to the marriage, or, gives people a government subsidy for the sake that they're married.

True love comes without marriage licenses or contracts.
edit on 7-8-2011 by Frankidealist35 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

until you lose your house, dog and money and your life is down the pan due to divorce

contracts there to make sure the male gets the fair share, otherwise the wife would walk all over the husband during a divorce... vice versa ofc

edit on 7/8/2011 by Welshextremist because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   

If you love someone and you are going to spend the rest of your life with them, why do you need a piece of paper? That is my opinion.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimbone

Precisely. A marriage contract is a way of saying I don't really plan on loving you forever so this paper is my way of forcing me to live with you for the rest of my life. I don't think it's necessary.

reply to post by Welshextremist

If the two of you really loved each other... you wouldn't really need a divorce to resolve that situation. If a husband and a wive breaks up with each other appropriate courts could handle the problems that would result in a breakup just like in any marriage. You don't need a marriage license for that.

link   
It should require a mental health evaluation from anyone who thinks they know what they are doing and freely gets involved.

link   

Originally posted by Grimbone

If you love someone and you are going to spend the rest of your life with them, why do you need a piece of paper? That is my opinion.

so true..

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I thought for sure you were talking about me. I've been there and done that, my life is financially screwed for the rest of my life...and I filed for the divorce. It's cheaper to keep her.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
This is my IMHO. Some couples could have a marriage license, or not. I had a marriage license with my first husband, and that was a mistake because it was hard to divorce him. He wanted one thing, and I didn't want that one thing he wanted. He threw some of my stuff away that I wanted.
Now I'm with a guy, and we have been together for seven or eight years and we don't have a license because if we get a license then I lose my S.S.I. that I get every month. We know that we love each other and we know that we won't cheat on each other. So, we don't need a contract with the state to prove that we love each other. We introduce each other as husband and wife to people that we meet. A license is a Right,that the states takes away, and turns into a Privilege, and forces you to get, and pay for a license. Like the driver's license,for instance.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
From your friendly neighborhood legal expert...

All I have to say is that a marriage license has nothing to do with how John is together with Suzy. Point in fact common law marriage, under a common law marriage all rights and privileges of a married couple are granted, as if they had a marriage license.

The license is not a contract between John and Suzy.

The license is a contract between John and Suzy AND The Government. It allows third party representation into the relationship.

-Lightrule

To add for funsies, any license is a contract. It removes your right to do the said action lawfully and instead replaces it with a granted privilege that can be controlled and/or taken away legally.

TinkerBellAmy mentioned the drivers license... Take a good look at this: Driving is a RIGHT, not a privledge.

You can read that website as it relates to both Canada and the USA. It is also supported with the relevant case law.
edit on 7-8-2011 by Lightrule because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lightrule
From your friendly neighborhood legal expert...

All I have to say is that a marriage license has nothing to do with how John is together with Suzy. Point in fact common law marriage, under a common law marriage all rights and privileges of a married couple are granted, as if they had a marriage license.

The license is not a contract between John and Suzy.

The license is a contract between John and Suzy AND The Government. It allows third party representation into the relationship.

-Lightrule

To add for funsies, any license is a contract. It removes your right to do the said action lawfully and instead replaces it with a granted privilege that can be controlled and/or taken away legally.

Someone mentioned the drivers license... Take a good look at this: Driving is a RIGHT, not a privledge.

You can read that website as it relates to both Canada and the USA. It is also supported with the relevant case law.

Nail on the head buddy, very good work.

My name is Muzzleflash and I approve of this post.
edit on 7-8-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
yes it should and you should also file to have children

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by obzerver

Care to elaborate? Why do you feel this way? How is life subject to the laws of man? Last time I checked it was the other way around, the laws of man are governed by life.

I see another clear example of the ATS star system working how it should, 140 some odd posts, and 30 stars. Good job members.

-Lightrule

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
To me the liscence, and government officialness of a marriage is purely for taxes and such things. Your status, depenedent or codependent.

new topics

top topics

join