It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you prepared your BBOB?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by kitty22

I personally don't think there will ever be a reason for a total survival situation other than natural disasters. There will always be somewhere to head for safety but if it does happen than being just a little prepared won't help. It will be a matter of live or die.

I have a sailboat which will be my escape so as long as I can get far enough away from the roving milita type gangs forming up on land I'll be ok as I can fish and desalinate water however anyone staying on land is going to have a very very difficult time.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
kro32 you are very correct, the Tylenol and Vaseline will only last so long. That is why people need to look at herbs and natural healing. An old saying is "Garlic is as good as ten mothers." I know that crushed garlic and olive oil will help a babies ear infection. What would take place of the oil, I have yet to learn. Chamomile is easily grown an help stomachs and sleeplessness. Yeah, my bag may have stuff that will run out but I am learn as fast as I can.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

if it gets down to that the ocean may be big but there will be other militias in the water just watch waterworld i know i know
but in all seriousness there will be pirates out there just like in the waters in Africa.

water is a good idea and a sailboat but its too unpredictable for me the ocean can kill you in a 1000 ways.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
How about taking your kid and your bug out bags and try living with just that for about 2 months in the wilderness with no means of help. This will give you a good idea of what you will need to acutally survive this situation. You might be surprised how tough it's going to be when you have to pull your kids tooth or something serious like if they fall and break a bone.

I'm sure most would not be able to survive this no matter how good you think you've prepared. People get some items they think they will need and consider themselves prepared for very serious situations and I find it rather sad.

Sir, respect.
They have no slightest idea how it will be like.
But, still, they are good consumers.
Sorry if i am sounding harsh, but i think that most people that are prepared for anything are living in areas without internet.
More, whatever will happen won't affect them in ANY way(because they are just living day by day using knowlegde you would consider as survival(from armchair point of view, at least)).
Knowledge is not everything, as you must imagine small, isolated groups of people living as it was 100 years ago:
their main advantage besides their way of living is TRUST in others from their small society/group.
This is main problem you may consider as western civ.
There will be NO trust in others, as there's no clans, no small societies, nothing like tribes in western world.
Even ones you trust may betray you.
We all are strangers there(they wanted us to be, as groups are dangerous in our model of society, realize this).

Try to look at serious crash of western civilization in that way, not only by what you may store.
Analyze whole situation, not only "what do i have".

Sorry for my english.
edit on 7-8-2011 by potential_problem because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

I'll take my chances on my Yamaha 250 dirt bike, off road, watching to plunder and scavenge those unfortunate folks tied up in the neverending traffic jams of people trying to get out of the burning cities.

Anarchy, chaos and survival of the fittest. Back to basics. A cleansing if you will.

We had a chance of peace, love, compassion, live and let live with the hippies but the emotionally constipated, power trippers and control freaks ****** it up for everyone.

Civilization and technology is just a thin veneer on mean talking monkeys anyway. It will be fun; you'll see....except for the dead and purifying, decomposing bodies that will be everywhere breeding disease.

Cormac McCarthy's "The Road" will look like a walk in the park.

edit on 7-8-2011 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Experience: A father of 5 and a grandfather of 1.5

I would suggest.....

Wool blanket cut in half (baby size)
baby wipes
Cloth diapers (disposables are more convenient but cloth can be washed and reused)
A&D ointment (babies get rashes and if not cared for can turn nasty)
Bottle of pedialyte or 2
3 changes of appropriate clothing (depending on your local and season)
Infants' Concentrated TYLENOL drops (for pain & fever)
spare bottle (extra nipples)

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
i'm sure there will be alot of diapers around when the shtf. ha.ha.ha.ha
That junk sleeping bag, where did you get it? Came apart. I'm sure you will need ALOT of advice here on a.t.s OMG. you need help.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
reply to post by kro32

I'll take my chances on my Yamaha 250 dirt bike, off road, watching to plunder and scavenge those unfortunate folks tied up in the neverending traffic jams of people trying to get out of the burning cities.

Anarchy, chaos and survival of the fittest. Back to basics. A cleansing if you will.

We had a chance of peace, love, compassion, live and let live with the hippies but the emotionally constipated, power trippers and control freaks ****** it up for everyone.

Civilization and technology is just a thin veneer on mean talking monkeys anyway. It will be fun; you'll see....except for the dead and purifying, decomposing bodies that will be everywhere breeding disease.

Cormac McCarthy's "The Road" will look like a walk in the park.

edit on 7-8-2011 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

you rock Waaa! man after my own heart and i think I grew up in the same area industry as you, we gotta hang when I come back to visit cali..

thanks Mwood i love your list.

not sure what youre saying cloaked you think I need help with survival? why not give some advice of your own.
that sleeping bag isnt mine I was using it for reference.. as in you will need warmth for your child... I have many wool blankets like i said for my horses and my whole family wears wool in the winter here. so again not sure what youre getting at maybe you can add something productive to the thread minus your annoying opinion.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
As great as that is...having a baby with you in a SHTF scenario is likely to get you killed.

Of course, what choice do you have, right? So yeah, do what you can...but man, your odds go down the crapper anytime you have to care for another who cannot do so for themselves, and even more so, when that someone can't be trusted to be quiet when needed, sleep as needed, etc.

Wow, that would be a nightmare...not to mention of course, the constant worry for the kid... I really feel for anyone who'd have to heft a baby in a SHTF scenario....

The flip side is, most are bound to take pity on you and help you, vs. turn on you.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
As great as that is...having a baby with you in a SHTF scenario is likely to get you killed.

Of course, what choice do you have, right? So yeah, do what you can...but man, your odds go down the crapper anytime you have to care for another who cannot do so for themselves, and even more so, when that someone can't be trusted to be quiet when needed, sleep as needed, etc.

Wow, that would be a nightmare...not to mention of course, the constant worry for the kid... I really feel for anyone who'd have to heft a baby in a SHTF scenario....

The flip side is, most are bound to take pity on you and help you, vs. turn on you.

good point. my focus and preparation since i do have a family is this. 1 place we know to meet at in case anything goes down unexpectedly and we aren't together.

at least 2 back up locations that are not exposed and easy to hide in for the wife and kids until you find them.

then a couple places to set up as a home because winters out here are hard and its better to hunker down somewhere if you are prepared to ride out the winter.

I think the cold and snow here would bring more security than hardship. if you are prepared and have horses like i do the benefits are there. snow insulates you underground. shows tracks which helps with hunting or when surveying your area for wandering people. it makes a ton of noise when walking and is extremely hard to move in on foot.
if you have the high ground and a concealed location you can get lost from most anyone in the woods, recently a man shot at the police here in mt and ran into the hills they never found him and have since called of the search this is in the middle of summer with no snow on a most likely wet ground and they couldn't track him.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join