It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blaming the "Tea Party" for the credit downgrade?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

The Tea Party's inability to compromise is the problem. The left moved all the way right with a grand deal that included putting taxes back where they belong and they said no.

The Tea Party is to blame. Most of them said outright, they will not vote for the debt ceiling increase under any circumstances. This makes perfect sense to people who don't realize that the debt ceiling needed to be raised, not for new spending but for existing spending.

Congress is a team. The Tea Party has shown they are not team players.

It is their fault.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by brianmg5

Wait a second...

They organized and backed candidates that promised not to compromise.

They are under no obligation to Obama.

Truth is...They are who they said they were...

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Since many here are venting...here is MY two cents, which maybe all I have left soon.

QUITE calling your fellow Americans TeaBaggers. It was sophmoric when Olberman and Maddow giddily called fiscally responsible Americans, many of whom are Veterans, a out with the same "phrase" as sex act. Oh...so 'kewl' to rise to the middle school taunt level.

There IS no social 'agenda' with the Tea Party. It is all about balancing the Federal budget and ceasing the out of control spending that BOTH parties seem to revel in.

The DAY after the Debt Ceiling was raised, Obama went to the cameras with a wish list of MORE entitlements, more blah; blah; blah.

Stop the spending. Forget raising the 'credit card limit' take the damn card away from Washington!

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Glinda
Since many here are venting...here is MY two cents, which maybe all I have left soon.

QUITE calling your fellow Americans TeaBaggers.

No.

Many of them prefer to be called it. If you need to google "Proud Teabagger" then by all means do it.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by whyamIhere

Wait a second...

I want to see these campaign promises to not compromise.

How about America?

Really? Cuz the teabaggers kept telling me that they were me 2 years ago. So we are admitting that was BS now?

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Okay...the Debt Ceiling was raised...and what happened...oh yeah...everything that the US was threatened with happening if the Debt Ceiling was NOT raised--ie, S&P RATING DROP; Stock Market TANKING; and World banking system teetering on the brink.

Why did all of this happen AFTER the Debt Ceiling was raised?!? Because spending was NOT cut at a rate (S&P wanted 4 trillion!) Consistent with lowering our debt.

The Tea Party Congressional Members are the ONLY thing keeping the US from acheiving an S &P BBB rating.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Glinda

S&P stsated clearly that the downgrade is a result of American political gridlock. That's a fact which cannot be refuted. Now...........the only people within the current government who will not compromise are the Tea Baggers. Figure it out. If these Tea Baggers continue their way of not ever compromising with their political adversaries, to meet on middle ground and act like actual Government officials doing their job for the COUNTRY'S best interest, then another downgrade in going to be upon us! For what? The protection of tax loopholes and corporate horse#?

Congrssional Tea baggers = American political gridlock
American political gridlock = S&P AA+ downgrade

We all know how logic works.
edit on 8-8-2011 by spinalremain because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by spinalremain

How do you not get it?

It's like your house is on fire.

I call 911......Now you are mad at me?

I am not a member of their group.

This problem is decades old.

All due respect intended.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
the 112th congressional makeup is as follows.

in the house 435 members

193 democrats
182 republicans
60 teaparty

the senate
51 democrats
47 republicans
2 independents

“The most brilliant propagandist technique will yield no success unless one fundamental principle is borne in mind constantly - it must confine itself to a few points and repeat them over and over” joesph goebbels

no matter how many people are saying no matter how many threads they can keep saying it all they want but the numbers say otherwise.

meh

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I thought that half the TP voted for the final bill anyway.

That sounds like half of them caved to me.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Glinda

Okay...the Debt Ceiling was raised...and what happened...oh yeah...everything that the US was threatened with happening if the Debt Ceiling was NOT raised--ie, S&P RATING DROP; Stock Market TANKING; and World banking system teetering on the brink.

Why did all of this happen AFTER the Debt Ceiling was raised?!? Because spending was NOT cut at a rate (S&P wanted 4 trillion!) Consistent with lowering our debt.

The Tea Party Congressional Members are the ONLY thing keeping the US from acheiving an S &P BBB rating.

Wrong, the reason "everything that the US was threatened with happening if the Debt Ceiling was NOT raised" was because of the inability of the Tea Party to compromise. They were the only part of congress unwilling to give a little. It was there way or the highway. And the S&P clearly referenced this dysfunction of congress as a main cause. Many of the Tea Party members vowed to vote "No" to raising the debt ceiling under any conditions. THAT is why S&P downgraded us.

And as far as your 4 trillion dollor number. Boehner and the White House were close to a 4 trillion dollar which the Tea Party rejected.

So once again, IT WAS THE TEA PARTY'S FAULT.

If it was up to the Tea Party, the debt ceiling wouldn't have been raised and we would have defaulted.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by spinalremain
reply to post by Glinda

S&P stsated clearly that the downgrade is a result of American political gridlock. That's a fact which cannot be refuted. Now...........the only people within the current government who will not compromise are the Tea Baggers. Figure it out. If these Tea Baggers continue their way of not ever compromising with their political adversaries, to meet on middle ground and act like actual Government officials doing their job for the COUNTRY'S best interest, then another downgrade in going to be upon us! For what? The protection of tax loopholes and corporate horse#?

Congrssional Tea baggers = American political gridlock
American political gridlock = S&P AA+ downgrade

We all know how logic works.

It's amazing to me how clearly this can be stated (such as your post) and how the supporters of the Tea Party can continue to deny it.

It's plain for all to see! Just admit TP's, you think the Tea Party did the right thing by being stubborn and unmoving in congress to "stop the spending". Even if it means the end of America as a functioning economy.

Maybe the Tea Party will soon realize that holding a gun to America's head in order to "get things done" isn't the best way to run a country, but more importantly, it doesn't reflect the soul of America and what it stands for. This country is built on meshing opposing philosophies to come up with central solutions.

The Tea Party is nothing more than a radical special interest movement catapulted into power by Fear and Anger.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
the 112th congressional makeup is as follows.

in the house 435 members

193 democrats
182 republicans
60 teaparty

the senate
51 democrats
47 republicans
2 independents

“The most brilliant propagandist technique will yield no success unless one fundamental principle is borne in mind constantly - it must confine itself to a few points and repeat them over and over” joesph goebbels

no matter how many people are saying no matter how many threads they can keep saying it all they want but the numbers say otherwise.

meh

The only members of congress that were unwilling to compromise were the Tea Party members. Not sure what your point is. And your quote is out of context. It's doesn't apply when the TRUTH is repeated over and over to people in denial.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
The real test is going to be whether the smear campaign/blame game is going to work or not.

Honestly, I don't see the current administration cutting spending. They aren't that smart. Next year we can look to see if the American people want more of the same or if the Tea Party will grow even more.

I guess that when Obama said in 2009 that he was responsible for the economy, he was lying. Or when they all said that the Tea Party was a minor, insignificant "astro-turf" movement they were lying.

Would a default on the debt caused a downgrade? Possible. But the current debt increase along with the downgrade have harmed our country worse than the great depression.

Government can't continue growing like it has been. If we allow it to continue, then it will, "fundamentally change" the way our country operates.
We will no longer be a representative republic.

If that is the change that you want, then keep voting for your favorite dem or GOP member. Because, if these past events have shown us anything, that there are two sides.
Two parties.

Tea Party
and the rest.

Which side will you stand on?

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   

stop spending and live within their means i guess is a hard concept to grasp and they sure needed to compromise on.

okayyyyyyyyyyy.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by whyamIhere

Wait a second...

This is exactly my point. Tea Party members can't, on one hand, say "I'm not going to compromise" and then turn around and say "the dysfunction the S&P was referring to was not us, we are not the problem"

They clearly are, and just like you said, they promised to be the problem when they ran for office. And what do you know, THEY ARE THE PROBLEM THEY PROMISED TO BE.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   

stop spending and live within their means i guess is a hard concept to grasp and they sure needed to compromise on.

okayyyyyyyyyyy.

No one is arguing this point. We do need to get spending under control. The point is that you don't get there by creating a crisis in congress that threatens the very economy the Tea Party claims they are trying to save.

You get there by working together and listening to other peoples ideas. And then compromising. That's what America is. If you want a party who get's their way no matter what, you may want to find a nice dictatorship to live in.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   

the point is they are and have been outnumbered

hello? 60 people out of 535

if thats what you want to beleive alright then.

edit on 8-8-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   

the point is they are and have been outnumbered

hello? 60 people out of 535

if thats what you want to beleive alright then.

edit on 8-8-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

You're wrong. You know full well that their influence includes the GOP. If the GOP loses Tea Party support, they lose the election in 2012 because of the split votes. In fact. both the Tea Party and the GOP would lose because the demos would have a unified voting audience.

it was plain to see in the debt debate that the GOP had to succumb to the Tea Party in order to pass legislation. So in essence, every GOP vote is a Tea Party vote because they are held hostage along with the rest of America.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   

"Six mistakes mankind keeps making century after century: Believing that personal gain is made by crushing others; Worrying about things that cannot be changed or corrected; Insisting that a thing is impossible because we cannot accomplish it; Refusing to set aside trivial preferences; Neglecting development and refinement of the mind; Attempting to compel others to believe and live as we do." — Marcus Tullius Cicero

ok carry on

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join