It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you feel our country is in distress (USA) hang the American Flag upside down

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
ATS has been doing this for at least 6 months, probably longer. Check the icon for US Political Madness forum.

Hanging the flag upside down on your property could be seen as a act of treason against authority.
I bet if you do this the police will be knocking on some doors.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bobaganoosh
This is a fantastic idea, I've considered doing it for some time, but it is extremely difficult to find a flag that isn't made in china, go figure....
It is the exact kind of passive protest the people need to take part in without causing damage/harm to others.
If offense is taken, oh well.

Good stuff. I guess being made in China should just add to the irony of the protest.

Hey, we can credit China for helping America. Lol I hadn't considered who made my flags,

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by spy66

ATS has been doing this for at least 6 months, probably longer. Check the icon for US Political Madness forum.

Hanging the flag upside down on your property could be seen as a act of treason against authority.

And when the law comes a knocking demanding an answer I shall stand firm whilst explaining the meanings. Peace.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   

I shall also explain to the law, I have nothing but the highest respect for their duties, their commitments to our community. Its good these reply, I am learning more possible effects of my action hence giving me advancement of having the detailed explanation of my cause. Peace

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Saying "my cause" that is misleading, I feel I need to elaborate on this. It is not MY cause, it is Americas cause and this is my way of showing my feelings of distress. Whoever else should di the same it becomes their cause...peace

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
What a great idea, displaying the flag upside down, kind of like a peaceful protest against what the governments are doing to the country.
When I first read about this I thought to myself WOW I could do that here in England but then I realised we could fly our flag upside down and no one would ever notice the difference.In fact its very sad that some people here in England do not know that there is in fact a right way up for the Union flag.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
The Union Jack (as it is called when it is on a sea going vesel) would be hung upside down to signify 'distress' for a sea going vessel. It is not so obvious with the UK flag when it is upside down, and has many a historical tales attached to it to 'secretly' let allies know 'all was not right. Check maritime law and I think you will find the UK started this along with all the other little flags sea going military and merchant vessels used to use (and probably still do) to pass messages on to one another.
Whan the UK flag is hung on land however it is known as the Union Flag, but for some reason our flag is always referred to as the Union Jack. I believe the same principal of hanging it upside down at times of 'distress' applies on land too here.

Think this is a BRILLIANT idea.....silent protest.....maybe we should adopt this in the UK given the civil unrest in our capital in the last 24 hrs while our 'esteemed' leaders (we do have 2 in coalition....but I don't think the penny has dropped with ol' Cleggy yet!) and our Chancellor are on hols out of the country......Don't think they would understand the meaning though if they saw it!
Rainbows
jane

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by lbndhr

I shall also explain to the law, I have nothing but the highest respect for their duties, their commitments to our community. Its good these reply, I am learning more possible effects of my action hence giving me advancement of having the detailed explanation of my cause. Peace

I like your reply. One should think through the consequences of hanging the flag upside down. That way you will have a good prepared argument at hand in case the authority do show up.

A good thing to have present is a paragraph or two from the law that explains your right to do this.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Ok so, Actions speak better then wrods right, I went outsdie and Here is what I have, let me know your opinions as to how it s displayed, remember it is changeable.
i1082.photobucket.com...
Peace

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by serendipity59
When I first read about this I thought to myself WOW I could do that here in England but then I realised we could fly our flag upside down and no one would ever notice the difference.

I must apologize. I burst out laughing when I read this. No offense intended.

I made it a point to educate myself on how to properly display the British flag.

wikipedia.org

The flag does not have reflection symmetry, due to the slight pinwheeling of St Patrick's cross, which is technically called the counterchange of saltires. Thus, it has a right side and a wrong side up. To fly the flag the correct way up, the broad portion of the white cross of St Andrew should be above the red band of St Patrick (and the thin white portion below) in the upper hoist canton (the corner at the top nearest to the flag-pole), giving the Scottish symbol precedence over the Irish symbol. This is expressed by the phrases wide white top and broad side up. Traditionally, flying a flag upside down is understood as a distress signal. In the case of the Union Flag, the difference is so subtle as to be easily missed by many. Indeed, some people have displayed it upside down inadvertently.

Right way to fly the flag, assuming hoist to the left

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5a9e101a9f64.png[/atsimg]

Wrong way to fly the flag, assuming hoist to the left

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/60a45b4a9fcd.png[/atsimg]

Thank you for prompting me to expand my knowledge.

Anyway.. I think this is a great idea. I'm sure it would get people to ask why. I could then explain what a mess we're in. Sadly, a lot of people aren't aware of what's going on.

edit on 7-8-2011 by N3k9Ni because: clicked the wrong button

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Hanging an American flag upside down...

I disagree with this in the given context.

It has always been my understanding that doing this is a sign of distress.

I agree that America is in a state of distress, but I do not think that this should be a means for Americans to display their displeasure with politicians and policy-makers.

Every American should be proud of their country. The American flag is a symbol of our Mother country.

If our biological mothers were to ever be beaten, I do not think that anyone would ever want pictures of the soul-wrenching crime on display for others to see.

If anything, this is a time for us to embrace our Mother and console her. This is a time to strengthen our families and teach our children the correct way of life, not wallow in our in our own self-pity and display it outside our home.

This is my opinion. The American flag is a picture of our Mother country. Our Mother needs all the help she can get right now.

This article has indeed inspired me. I, like a lot of others on here, do not own an American flag. I will be buying one soon. My flag will be flown as it is intended, in the correct fashion as a symbol of my support for my Mother.

Namaste.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
i woulda hung my flag upside down

but i lent it to my neighbor and he decided to burn it

then i went out and bought another one but city

came by one day and said take it down or we will fine

you.

edit on 7-8-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by knowseriously
Hanging an American flag upside down...

I disagree with this in the given context.

It has always been my understanding that doing this is a sign of distress.

I agree that America is in a state of distress, but I do not think that this should be a means for Americans to display their displeasure with politicians and policy-makers.

Every American should be proud of their country. The American flag is a symbol of our Mother country.

If our biological mothers were to ever be beaten, I do not think that anyone would ever want pictures of the soul-wrenching crime on display for others to see.

If anything, this is a time for us to embrace our Mother and console her. This is a time to strengthen our families and teach our children the correct way of life, not wallow in our in our own self-pity and display it outside our home.

This is my opinion. The American flag is a picture of our Mother country. Our Mother needs all the help she can get right now.

This article has indeed inspired me. I, like a lot of others on here, do not own an American flag. I will be buying one soon. My flag will be flown as it is intended, in the correct fashion as a symbol of my support for my Mother.

Namaste.

Your correct regarding teaching our children the right ways good morals and values, I luv my country i am 5 - 6th generation American born. I luv my fellow American citizen, I luv my offerings this great country offers. I luv the diversity America has been working at sense it first began. long time somewhere maybe 2 to 4 decades back, heck maybe even further back our government started becoming biased to its party and their specific agenda, slowly leaving the American citizens ideals and logic's behind to being faced with today, downgraded country on the very edge of a cliff heading straight into oblivion. Yet those who lead us don't even look at us to smirk at us they hear not one word we cry out to them, they have disrespected America, Americans, and the world, being they will not listen to us, we need to make a stance, them or us, it is us the average Joe and Jane how are the creation of this country and it is those the few in the leadership who are tearing it apart, I make my stance with displaying deep distress and remorse for my country and my fellow American, you mam, need to stand with the people for the people because the government don't give a rats behind for you. Of course you don't need to care about America and sit in your house and be quiet and become a nothing. it is your choice, I just offered up a action against the system. and my action is most peaceful giving total respect to the military and America...gov deserves zero respect from me. O ya and I also highly respect the police, border patrol, most the judicial system. we need them or it would be real real bad even without the deceit of this gov. peace to you

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
i woulda hung my flag upside down

but i lent it to my neighbor and he decided to burn it

then i went out and bought another one but city

came by one day and said take it down or we will fine

you.

edit on 7-8-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

are you in usa?

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Ooooh! Just found out that it is illegal to fly the Union Jack upside down in the UK!

www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk...

"To deliberately fly the flag upside down is a signal indicating a situation of 'DISTRESS'. It is also "lese Majeste" (which means: insulting the Crown), and is theoretically still a crime in the UK and its commonwealth! "

Bugger!

Rainbows
jane

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by angelchemuel
Ooooh! Just found out that it is illegal to fly the Union Jack upside down in the UK!

www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk...

"To deliberately fly the flag upside down is a signal indicating a situation of 'DISTRESS'. It is also "lese Majeste" (which means: insulting the Crown), and is theoretically still a crime in the UK and its commonwealth! "

Bugger!

Rainbows
jane

That sucks, Think deep on something you can do that will make a big impact, maybe make a reppresentative Icon, like make a flag that is a specific color reppresenting your state, and then maybe put shadow people upsidedown on it or something...dig dig and find a peaceful scream. < am thankful we dont have a crown bossing us around>

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Not too bad of an idea... Atleast it is showing some hardship/distress happening

Me personally, Trade the Stars and Stripes in for a Gadsden flag

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d1799dac3b90.jpeg[/atsimg]

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   

If anything, this is a time for us to embrace our Mother and console her.

For me, displaying the flag upside down would be a display of how much I love my country. It would be a show of patriotism not a statement of displeasure with my country. If your biological mother, in the process of being beaten, were to scream for help or raise her hand to flag down a passerby, would you think that her doing so is not loving herself? Would you prefer she just take the beating and deal with the perpetrators in private? Or would you prefer that she try to stop the beating before it kills her? In this case, my country cannot raise her hand or flag someone down herself, it must be done by those who love her.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   

www.ushistory.org...
("The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing." Section 8j).

...the flag represents whatever you want it to represent...

...i see it as a banner for genocide, mind-control, racial and religious intolerance, world-domination and all the lies to justify the former... i wont allow it in my home unless its on a J D Challenger painting cuz he "got it"...

www.jdchallenger.com...

I say if America starts turning the flag upside down, and I'm talking every-time you use or see the flag ( use meaning stamps for post office, I personally have been doing the stamp thing for a few months), It is a scream out to the government without hurting anyone.

...its a non-violent stance and thats a good thing but it wont accomplish anything significant, especially making those who control our federal government give a damn - but - thats jmo... do whatever you want and good luck...

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman

If anything, this is a time for us to embrace our Mother and console her.

For me, displaying the flag upside down would be a display of how much I love my country. It would be a show of patriotism not a statement of displeasure with my country. If your biological mother, in the process of being beaten, were to scream for help or raise her hand to flag down a passerby, would you think that her doing so is not loving herself? Would you prefer she just take the beating and deal with the perpetrators in private? Or would you prefer that she try to stop the beating before it kills her? In this case, my country cannot raise her hand or flag someone down herself, it must be done by those who love her.

great statement

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join