It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you feel our country is in distress (USA) hang the American Flag upside down

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Hi, I'm not specifically promoting just America in this thread, I believe every country that feels distressed needs to find peaceful ways to display it. So I know a few Vietnam vets, One specific Henry, God rest his soul 2008, had put a American flag stamp upside down on a envelope he was mailing, I mentioned, oops you put it upside down, he said no I didn't it has a meaning to it, I asked what the meaning was, he told me, It means America is in distress ( this conversation was around 2005 ).
I typed in "What is the meaning of the American Flag hung upside down?" Googled it and here a a few links I found.

www.ushistory.org... which I read downward and found this
We feel it is a far stretch to argue that political purposes constitute the "dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property" the Flag Code speaks of. An instance is a single event not an extended duration of time. The clear intent is as a call for immediate emergency assistance (danger at sea, or perhaps during a kidnapping in progress, for example).

We recommend that people who wish to express their political dissatisfaction find a way to do so that is respectful of the flag ("The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing." Section 8j).

"In times of national crisis, Americans look to the United States flag as a symbol of hope, courage, and freedom; the United States flag is universally honored; the United States flag honors the men and women of the Armed Forces who have given their life in the defense of the United States; the United States flag serves as a treasured symbol of the loss of loved ones to the countless families of those who died in defense of our Nation" (Ref: H.Res.420, sponsored by Rep. Robert Latta [R-OH])

They clearly define do not use in political issues and reason`s, OK but, next it defines,

The flag may, to some, represent just the government and its policies; but it is truly -"a symbol of hope and inspiration to people at home and around the world?— as a constellation which grows brighter with every achievement earned and sacrifice borne by one of our citizens." [ref]
We recommend you show respect for the flag and make your political views known in other ways..
read more Source: link,www.ushistory.org...

In this next site you will hear personal stories of why people are deciding to fly their flags upside down.
Personally, as I g outside and place my 2 flags upside down my own reasoning will be, our country as a whole is in dire distress because of a illiterate government. We have the right under the rules of flags to place them upside down> : wooga.drbacchus.com...

I say if America starts turning the flag upside down, and I'm talking every-time you use or see the flag ( use meaning stamps for post office, I personally have been doing the stamp thing for a few months), It is a scream out to the government without hurting anyone.

??
edit on 7-8-2011 by lbndhr because: spell check

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I feel like we Americans have been assaulted by the inability of our entire government to meet in the middle for America. They are playing political stale mate, which is creating world fears, which takes our money ever lower with each ticking second. WHEN DO WE AMERICANS SAY SOMETHING? FLAG MAN FLAG
we cant just sit back and do or say nothing
edit on 7-8-2011 by lbndhr because: spell check

edit on 7-8-2011 by lbndhr because: lol hadda add a few words

edit on 7-8-2011 by lbndhr because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I've never bought a U.S. flag, even though I've considered it many times. I just have never gotten around to doing it. I think I'll go buy one today, as soon as the stores open. This is a great idea.

Thanks!

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman
I've never bought a U.S. flag, even though I've considered it many times. I just have never gotten around to doing it. I think I'll go buy one today, as soon as the stores open. This is a great idea.

Thanks!

Thank you, and please as you are out interacting with others, share this concept. Peace
edit on 7-8-2011 by lbndhr because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I have some clothing that I have put upside down flags on. A lot of people do not know what it means. They find it disrespectful and think you are implying that you hate America. I have explained to many people the actual meaning of said display. Some people are very set in their ways though. If you display an upside down USofA flag in your front lawn be prepared for vandalism.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
ATS has been doing this for at least 6 months, probably longer. Check the icon for US Political Madness forum.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by existenz99
I have some clothing that I have put upside down flags on. A lot of people do not know what it means. They find it disrespectful and think you are implying that you hate America. I have explained to many people the actual meaning of said display. Some people are very set in their ways though. If you display an upside down USofA flag in your front lawn be prepared for vandalism.

I think I will face that when it happens, I'm also sure people will ask me why I did this and I shall tell them, remembering to constantly be uplifting ourilitary people, I will explain my reason. I'm tired of not doing anything.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I've been putting off installing a flag pole. Enough procrastination. I believe I will put one in next weekend for just this purpose. We are most definitely in trouble.

We're seeing the demise speed up as I write this post. It's going to be an interesting week.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Perhaps we should fly 2 flags, One hanging up in support of our military and america as a country, the second hanging upside down representing amreicas distressed government and people?

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by GMan420
I've been putting off installing a flag pole. Enough procrastination. I believe I will put one in next weekend for just this purpose. We are most definitely in trouble.

We're seeing the demise speed up as I write this post. It's going to be an interesting week.

thanks you

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
ATS has been doing this for at least 6 months, probably longer. Check the icon for US Political Madness forum.

Nice.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by lbndhr
Perhaps we should fly 2 flags, One hanging up in support of our military and america as a country, the second hanging upside down representing amreicas distressed government and people?

good ideas so we can honor the military.
and support the ideas too

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
How about flying it upside down AND at half staff? Mourning the passing of what our country has stood for in the past... May not quite meet the etiquette protocols though... what do you guys think?

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman
How about flying it upside down AND at half staff? Mourning the passing of what our country has stood for in the past... May not quite meet the etiquette protocols though... what do you guys think?

I think its perfect because it is exact in its meaning, I luv it
thanks and peace

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Hang your flag upside down AND ....

watch American Idol OR
buy a Cheeseburger OR
buy a new pair of shoes OR

did I get the point across?

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by lbndhr

That's a good idea. If you had say a marine flag right side up and an upside down US flag it would make people question the reason instead of just jumping to a conclusion.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Thinking twice on the half mass flag, as of this exact moment America still has a pulse. She still has a chance of living through this illogical times.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by speaknoevil07

why would you want to honor the military? Cause they are brave? Cause they are ignoring protecting your Constitution? Cause you know someone in the military? There's gotta be some good reason.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
This is a fantastic idea, I've considered doing it for some time, but it is extremely difficult to find a flag that isn't made in china, go figure....
It is the exact kind of passive protest the people need to take part in without causing damage/harm to others.
If offense is taken, oh well.

Good stuff. I guess being made in China should just add to the irony of the protest.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by yoesse
Hang your flag upside down AND ....

watch American Idol OR
buy a Cheeseburger OR
buy a new pair of shoes OR

did I get the point across?

Actually no I don't. A first movement performed in a peaceful manner will reach out across America very quickly as "we the people" of America have our methods of action
to riot will kill and destroy, no thanks. We Americans use logic over emotion. Don't underestimate a true Americans will
.peace

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join