It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wifi connection issue with guest computer

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
A friend of mine for some reason can't access my wifi and this isn't the first time.

When she came over last summer everytime she signed onto the internet it kicked me and I was kicked constantly after that. It was very annoying esp since I was doing homework half the time and I'd lose everything. So I went out and bought a brand new router, Cisco Valet M10. It was faster and I set it up with a password because my roommate didn't have one on it and I prefer one with a password.

Anyway when she came over after I got this new one she couldn't log in but I could. It would not let her, it wouldn't accept the password so I called and redid everything and the lady said for her to sign in under guest which it automatically creates (she said) when another computer come in range and wants to get access. I dont know why it does that or if it should but it doesn't make sense. She said there is no password for that and to just hit enter. Well the whole point of me putting a password on my wifi was to not have people just be able to get on. So this time it worked and she was online.

She is here again and wouldn't ya know more issues. I am really starting to think it's her computer. She could not get online yesterday. I told her which one to log into and gave her the password and it wouldn't work. I have my passwords written down in a notebook because they are not ones I'd remember very easily. I know it was correct. So it wasn't my password. I can log into the wifi with both my iPhones, Droid and everyone else that has come over with their computer can get online fine. She always has problems.

I call customer service to change my password and well they inform me that is considered tech support and since my warranty is over I have to pay. This is where I get beyond annoyed. Im not trying to access Ft Knox I just want to change my password and see if that works. Well after much complaining they said they would do a one time service. I was beyond annoyed at this point. Its MY wifi I pay for why do I have to pay to change my darn password? Anyway I did that and well it didn't work. So I got the set up key that came with the router and put it in my laptop and resat it like they told me to do before if need be. I did that and she STILL can't get online. I have no problem with my laptop or my phones. I think it's her computer!

So when she signs into my main network it says connected but says "validating" under the connection icon. Mine says the same thing but Im online no problem. I tell her to use the guest one and that works and says connected but this is where it gets weird to both of us. It opens a Cisco window and asks for a password. Its like those screens when you go into like a Barnes and Noble and you have to enter a password to get online there. Nobody else ever gets this screen and she shouldn't have to put a password into guest but it prompts for one in a new window.

Is the problem her computer?? Sounds like it because nobody else ever had a problem and I had 3 laptops at one point last year and I got online perfectly fine.

Its starting to drive me nuts. I honestly don't care if she can get online or not at this point. Everytime she comes over her computer causes issues and it is only HER computer nobody else.

Is it her personal settings or something? Help! lol

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

I don't know...but it sounds to me more like what she might be doing once she gets connected...whether it is settings on her computer for home, office, public, private, etc...should really make no difference.

I would have a good look at her history after a few hours after she connects and see if there is any suspicious sites that might be cracking into your IP....really though...I have no idea....just guessing really.

Anyway that sucks...good luck...hope someone gives a bit more help than I can this morning!

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
make sure her tcpip settings both dhcp and dns both set to auto. if her pc is set to a static lease and the same ip as your pc it will kick you off. make all pcs and the router dynamic ip. set it all to auto and it should solve your problem.

whats the make and model of your router. i might be able to assist you further. im kinda a networking and pc enthusiast.
edit on 7-8-2011 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by shaneslaughta
make sure her tcpip settings both dhcp and dns both set to auto. if her pc is set to a static lease and the same ip as your pc it will kick you off. make all pcs and the router dynamic ip. set it all to auto and it should solve your problem.

whats the make and model of your router. i might be able to assist you further. im kinda a networking and pc enthusiast.

I was getting ready to reply to the OP myself, but you seem to know where you're going. The Cisco M10 is a cosmetically disguised Linksys E1000. I can quickly lay hands on a .pdf of the manual/user guide if you need it. I know it has instructions for manual setup.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
not sure about the user manual i was just going to recommend setting all pc to dynamic. then reboot the router so all pc get a fresh dns lease. i think that would clear up the problem.

on a side note i love Cisco chip sets in the links routers. dd-wrt firmware makes them a lot more stable and you can even turn it into a wireless repeater to extend your range of other routers or creatively acquire internet from the neighbors with the client bridge
but that a chapter out of my advanced networking book :p

www.dd-wrt.com...

edit on 7-8-2011 by shaneslaughta because: linky

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by shaneslaughta

That's a good start. I'm thinking there's a flash/USB/thumb-drive that comes with the router for setting up the individual computers? Is this correct, OP?

Of course another simple solution might be to have this particular guest connect by cable rather than wireless, if that's practical. There should be 4 cabled LAN connections available....

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   

not sure about the user manual i was just going to recommend setting all pc to dynamic. then reboot the router so all pc get a fresh dns lease. i think that would clear up the problem.

on a side note i love Cisco chip sets in the links routers. dd-wrt firmware makes them a lot more stable and you can even turn it into a wireless repeater to extend your range of other routers or creatively acquire internet from the neighbors with the client bridge

www.dd-wrt.com...

I'm a big fan of DD-WRT. I have a handful of routers I've used it on in various settings and purposes, including repeaters and bridges. But it's not recommended for users who've been led to believe that you can set up a network by pushing a button. No offense to the OP....

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Mblah, not all computers can use the same type of encryption on the router. If you're using WPA, her computer might not be able to use WPA and might only be able to use WEP. If you're using WPA, change it to WEP and see if she can connect that way.

Although, I wouldn't recommend WEP because the password can easily be cracked by outsiders.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
i wasn't aware of a thumb drive. is it like the network setup thing that xp asks you if you need to create and run on other pcs? witch ever way you want to configure it is fine. i would recommend dynamic though. its easier and plug and play or rather connect and play. i am thinking this lady friend of yours has a pc that's connected directly to a modem at her place. probably gets a static ip address from the modem. and your router wants to give dynamic assigned ips. im 100% sure that your problem is there. if you have a thumb drive that came with he router i would use that as its probably the easier way to set it up. if you don't you just need to check the settings on the lappy. go to the network settings of the lan adapter and check there. it will be in the control panel under network connections or something similar.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   

It doesn't kick me off she just can't log on and it prompts for a password from Cisco in a new window. It never does that. Nobody else gets that screen and I dont either on any other computer. She is the only one with this issue.

Its a Cisco Valet M10. I have called customer service and that is beyond impossible it's the Philippines and they have no clue what they are talking about. It is very frustrating. I no longer have free tech support which is BS imo and I refuse to pay for tech service that is horrible. I know it's not their fault they are just working but things would be much easier if they knew what I was talking about. The lady kept telling me to look for things that were not there. I could tell all she was doing was reading screen prompts based on my answers. I have worked in places like that before and I can tell when someone is reading prompts! I tried google but Im not familiar with all this stuff and my friend is in denial its her computer. She seems to forget she is the only person with this issue.

Now can I still do this step you suggest above? Could that help as well? She isnt kicking me just not getting a connection.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   

I'm a big fan of DD-WRT. I have a handful of routers I've used it on in various settings and purposes, including repeaters and bridges. But it's not recommended for users who've been led to believe that you can set up a network by pushing a button. No offense to the OP....

agreed there is no push button setup for a network. there are so many configurations for various reasons.

go to 192.168.1.1 in a browser window.
assuming your router is un touched i would enter admin/admin for the user name/pass.

disable security temporarily and try to connect with her laptop again if you can its the security that the issue.
if you cant connect than you have an ip dns configuration problem.

yes OP try what i said in this post. if you cant connect come back here.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_CT2

I was getting ready to reply to the OP myself, but you seem to know where you're going. The Cisco M10 is a cosmetically disguised Linksys E1000. I can quickly lay hands on a .pdf of the manual/user guide if you need it. I know it has instructions for manual setup.

I would like that pdf

Everytime I have problems calling customer service takes hours literally and then things get worse.

Will she have to manually set her computer up with it? I just dont know why she is the only person with this problem. It doesnt seem like it owuld be my router but her computer....I just dont know.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Ok I have no idea what that means. I am not PC literate. How do you do this? Is this something done on the computer or via the router?

www.dd-wrt.com...

[/quote

Ok that was like a foreign language to me lol What does that mean?

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
yep i believe its her pc myself but the only sure fire way to rule out the security is to disable it on the router. if it still cant connect its an ip issue on her pc. and in my previous post i said to edis the lan settings i meant the wireless care tcp/ip settings to dynamic. or all auto. however its worded.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   

reply to post by shaneslaughta

That's a good start. I'm thinking there's a flash/USB/thumb-drive that comes with the router for setting up the individual computers? Is this correct, OP?

Of course another simple solution might be to have this particular guest connect by cable rather than wireless, if that's practical. There should be 4 cabled LAN connections available....

Can she be connected via cable at the same time as I am using the wifi?? Sorry if that is a dumb question I really don't know. I never use a cable for internet.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by _BoneZ_
Mblah, not all computers can use the same type of encryption on the router. If you're using WPA, her computer might not be able to use WPA and might only be able to use WEP. If you're using WPA, change it to WEP and see if she can connect that way.

Although, I wouldn't recommend WEP because the password can easily be cracked by outsiders.

Ok yea I don't know what either of those mean

If I change it can I still use the internet though? Im not changing anything if it affects me. She can find a star bucks or something or use a cable if you can do that like another suggested.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
ill lay it out for you.
no none of this will effect your ability to get online. just her laptop.

1. go to router log into it. 192.168.1.1 in a web browser. and enter admin/admin for the user name and password prompt on that page. must be done on a pc that is connected and working.

2. disable your security for a few minutes.

3. does lappy connect? if no go to next step.

4. go to the control panel. network connections, wireless card settings right click on the wireless
connection in that window. and click properties.

5. the box that poped up should have a scroll er on the first page. go to tcp ip and open that
a box will open the options should be all automatic.

6. re enable security.

7. hope its fixed by now.

edit on 7-8-2011 by shaneslaughta because: grammer)

edit on 7-8-2011 by shaneslaughta because: missed something.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
Can she be connected via cable at the same time as I am using the wifi??

Absolutely. That's what routers are for.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   

www.dd-wrt.com...

None taken! I fully admit I know absolutely nothing about PCs and networking or anything like this.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   

When she gets back later I will have her do this! Thanks!

edit on 8/7/2011 by mblahnikluver because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join