It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Theory on time - no more going to work!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   
If we were to lose all of our memories from last year, so that we only had 1 years worth of memories, it wouldn't make any difference to the person that we are, or of how we perceive the outside world, because all our personal experiences impact and mould our characters whether we are aware of the influence or not.

Every past event and memory is, in a higher form, imprinted onto our selves, manifesting themselves in our actions, thoughts and emotions.

This is much like a flower being a higher form of the sun.

You wouldn't be able to breakdown the structure of the flower to see the individual photons from the sunlight, but they are there, metamorphosed into a new form.

In this way everything lives forever, and every moment also. Every minute of my life is coexisting with the present, as I play out events which have been defined and directed by past events.

But being concious means that the future is also embedded into the present, because we anticipate, plan and react to probable events that may happen. Events, of course, which would only be probable if events in the past had happened to make them likely.

So all time is a single moment, an expanded version of what we call "now". We say "now", but we might mean a millisecond, or an hour. "Now" is whatever our awareness perceives as being relevant to the situation at hand.

You could assume that an entity with an expanded conciousness that was aware of all existence would perceive no difference between any point in time, and that ,therefore, time would cease to exist.

Awareness, therefore, creates time - Limiting attention to a tedious task makes time drag, being absorbed in an interesting, or inspiring activity, such as looking at a flower, should expand awareness, and therefore "make time fly".

Which is fantastic news, because I'm on holiday in a few weeks time. And if my theory is correct, all I have to do is to enjoy myself as much as possible and I'll never have to go back to work again.

Hooray!

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Surely your theory suggests the exact opposite. The more you enjoy your holiday the quicker it will be back to work.

Read your penultimate paragraph again. You are essentially suggesting that enjoyment and perception of time are on a diamterically opposed scale.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   
i wouldn't call this a "theory on time".. it's more like a contemplation on one's subjective experience of time.. doesn't really say anything new either, to be honest.. good effort though, hope you enjoy your holiday

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by akkad

Yay awesome post! This is exactly what I have been thinking for some years and is my stance on things at this very moment. Now if I could only get those keyes to my new apartment and move in before my holidays are over so that i can join you in never going back to work

Oh and on the enjoyment thing I have to agree with previous poster the more fun the faster time goes so after I move in I will make sure I watch some pretty boring TV to extend my holidays

edit on 7/8/2011 by IAmD1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by akkad

my thoughts are time is a man made illusion to entrap us in this god awfull reality so that a certain few can control the masses I believe in natural time and not this illusion enforced upon us

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
INTERESTING!

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
The most fun I probably ever had in my life was the time I spent a single week in Tahiti on a cruise ship jumping from island to island. Those memories are so deeply imbedded in my psyche that all I have to do is close my eyes and I'm there twenty years later.

Time is a curious old construct.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by cheesyleps

What I am trying to say is that expanded awareness ultimately makes all points in time the same, so if you were to achieve this while on holiday you could just stay there forever.

Or you could go to work, whatever you want.
edit on 7-8-2011 by akkad because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Sorry had to come back to this topic on a more serious note.

I have been thinking alot on this perception of time in relation to what is going on at any which moment. It occurs to me that many people experience (perceive) that time is speeding up. Could this be a direct result of everything we do being focused on what is to come as supposed to what is right when we do it? People seem to more and more run around like headless chickens trying to get through their days as fast as possible as opposed to living the moments. TV, Radio, Music, story lines, work and play everything seems to be based on speed, fast action hurry hurry to get there. Maybe what we need to do is to slow down. Accept the mundane and enjoy it somewhat. Take our 'time' to get to the next moment and perhaps this will make us perceive a slow-down of time and make us less stressed out. I know it sounds off 'take your time' to get more time but maybe if you think about it it is not so weird after all. When we take our time on things we take in more impressions, savour each input one by one and so again to our perception we have had a 'longer' time in awareness and thus more time over all.

These are just some thoughts of mine. I hope they make some sense. Enjoy your holidays and have a marvellous 'time'

edit on 7/8/2011 by IAmD1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by cheesyleps
Surely your theory suggests the exact opposite. The more you enjoy your holiday the quicker it will be back to work.

That's correct, everyone at my last job commented a lot how time flew when they were having fun but whenthey were bored and wanting to get out of work the day just dragged on for seemingly double the time we were actually there (10 minutes felt like an hour etc)

top topics

join