It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oh the World is so Horrible

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Many people are complaining about how horrible the current state of the world is, how much violence, injustice etc.. "Oh i can't take it anymore!". Then there is the constant gloom and doom feelings, the bad economy, the bad politicians etc.. the apparent feeling "that this is soon now all coming to an end" in an apocalyptic event which is inevitable.

In my few weeks on ATS, it becomes clear to me that many people actually WISH that all comes to an end...this is why many people believe in all those doomsday "prophecies", because on a conscious (and subconscious) level they want them to be true. This is actually very sad.

Fact is, i do NOT think there is more injustice, violence and corrupt politicians as opposed to the past. There were recessions and depressions in the past. In fact, compared to some societies, atrocities etc. happened in history we have it PRETTY DAMN GOOD.

Maybe you failed to read some history books or are lacking some basic education of what was going on in the "old" times?

We could start with the romans and feeding slaves to the lions, the middle-ages and how people barely lived to be 30 years old, the great depression in the states, second world war....AND HUNDREDS OF MORE examples.

The reason why you THINK that now "everything is so horrible" is because thanks to our media, we get fed all those horrible news on an every-day basis. Here is the deal: For the media, EMOTIONS are #1 because this is what sells. The more outrageous, the better. Scandals, lies, murder, fraud, abuse, whatever you want..you will get it since the media will show/print what triggers emotions like anger, hate etc.. to feed the "masses".

Because the MASSES *want* to be fed so they can feel better about their own lives. So they can blame others for their boring and bad lives and that they are poor. They can blame politicians, child molesters, celebrities, tax evaders etc. The masses will SUCK this up because then they can blame someone and point fingers...and they will suck it up because its emotional and it allows them to be angry and outraged.

People say "everything is so horrible"....but here is the deal:

If you feel that everything has become so horrible, why are you here on the site?

You are here and read the various threads because you simply can't stop to read more and more about "the bad things which happen" and how you get lied to by politicians, or about the latest conspiracy or whatever. Some of those stories are true, many in fact are not.

And this then becomes your "reality"...your reality how this world is supposedly all screwed up and wrong and how great it would be if a comet would fall down and kill all mankind

Tip: If you really are so worried and already have psychological and mental problems because you cant deal with this "bad" world anymore - maybe talk to some people who lived throughout WWII. Or talk to the people in Africa which will die because they don't have anything to eat. Or let some grandpa tell you how it was living in 1920s America in the great depression etc.. go read a history book and LEARN about the *real* world (especially in the past)..so you realize how absurd the notion is that "pretty soon everything will collapse" because the "bad things going on right now".

edit on 7-8-2011 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by flexy123

Yes you get what you think. The world is horrible is no more than a thought, a thought that if believed will be your reality. These thoughts have been put there for a reason.
This is the reason:
youtu.be...

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
For the most part, I think you're right. But humans are pretty psychologically complex animals. For me, I've often thought the end of the world would be pretty interesting, hypothetically, simply because one would see things that no one had ever seen before, depending on what one's ideal TEOTWAWKI is.

But then I snap back into reality and consider how good I have it and hope things stay exactly the way they are, to my dying day, at least for me. Of course, I'm not saying that I don't yearn for progress. That couldn't be farther from the truth.

Personally, I'm hoping we achieve Singularity any time now.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   
I also wholeheartedly disagree with is the general pessimism that seems to pervade a lot of peoples answers when they talk about the present or future state of the world. I believe humanity as an entity in itself is moving towards something. What that something is I do not know (global conciousness....?) however I have faith enough that it will be good. And whatever it is we are moving towards it at an ever increasing pace. The world is more connected than ever, the rate of technological innovation is growing faster and faster.....

What you see now are the teething pains of humanity as it gets used to the fact that for the 1st time since the evolution of man 200,000 years ago, we have gotten to a point where our actions as humanity can actually effect things globally. This began happening around the time of the industrial evolution but it has only been since the 80's that we as humans have actually recognised the the global ramifications of our actions. And only now (20 years later) are we even attempting to fix it. Humans have been doing whatever they want for so long and getting away with it, it is very difficult to break out of that thought pattern.

There is always a lag time between technology and learning how to use it responsibly. But if you do believe in a higher power or a universal destiny then you also have to admit that there is a reason the world is currently in the state it is in. We as humans now have so much power to implement change, yet the majority of people still operate on a very baseline, reactionary level of thinking. They are still only taking care of number 1, without realising what they do can now have a massive ripple effect. Or their thinking is influenced by very outdated religious ideals, or its not how their mother used to do it back in the 70's, or they are simply so caught up in the material world they fail to see the bigger picture

But things are slowly changing within the consiousness of the world. Possibly only because all the mistakes we've been making are finally starting to effect people and governments financially. But they are changing.

The something I alluded to earlier may be a NWO, a change in global consiousness, possibly even a further innovation in the field of renewable energy. I have very serious doubts that it will have anything to do with reptilians, the rapture or the illuminati but whatever it is we are moving towards it at an ever increasing rate.

And I think it will be a good thing. Why? Because the world is big enough and ugly enough to take care of herself, and we are all part of that world. Sounds a little wishy washy new age-ish i know. But things are much simpler than most people suspect.

I consider myself very fortunate to live during this period where global consciousness has begun en masse to slowly shift. The reason all of us currently live in this time period is because we are meant to exist at this time. The mark each of us are destined to leave upon this world was due to begin when each of us were born, and is due to finish when each of us die.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Yeah, I think if you project positivity, the more good it will do.... on the other hand, I believe the world is still in the dark ages. We still let money, greed, lust and jealousy rule our lives...and the class system was never bested....and the majority of the wealth goes to the few. In the end, personally, I'm still 100 years behind the humanity I would have rather been a part of.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by flexy123

As much as I wish this was just a matter of perception, I'm afraid injustice and violence are actually on the increase. Not that it is really something to worry about though, it's a natural fluctuation. The rythm of a society if you will.

It's impossible to keep the memory alive of how bad it was before things changed.

Peace

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   
The world has always been horrible. But it's mostly about how you look at it. I'm a pauper and this week everything I need seems to have given up the ghost. My washing machine, my mower, my camera's on the blink and that's about to go too, then I found damp in the bathroom. And we've had a lot of rain and a huge bunch of debris fell down my chimney last night. Then there's not enough money for school clothes and they go back to school next week. Then there's the global economy, rumours of the end of the world, riots in London and Sharia law threatening my peace, blah, blah, blah.

But I'm finding myself not bothering about it all. Really there's no point. I'm quite happily still chewing he cud. And my plum and pear trees have a lot of fruit hanging. Much more than last year. Strawberries have turned to mush with the rain though. Ahh, who cares. I'm glad to be alive.
edit on 7-8-2011 by wigit because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   
It's not pessimism. People know great progress is possible. What it is is that the lie has caught up with itself. People are now so well versed in lies, they know them when they hear them. The lies work less and less these days. that's progress. What would God say to do? Try to be him?... or LAMENT!

Our only hope as a human is that god will hear our cries, but we are told by man-gods to shut up because it could be worse, so why try to make it better?

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by wigit

My sentiments, exactly. (From a disabled vet's prospective). I have less and less to work with each year as I grow older. Less money, less health, less friends, less prospects.

But I never lose hope. As sappy as that sounds, it seems to me if you're able to hold on to that one little things, much like Pandora, every day can be an adventure in possibilities.

I usually wake up with a smile knowing this could be the day my fortunes change.

They say, where there's life, there's hope. That, (love helps, too), can get you through a lot.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   
I'm not interested in fortune, I'm interested in TRUTH.

There is little hope in this world for truth... come ON.

In poverty, wealth, life or death... people are still liars.

what good is any kind of fortune to share with a bunch of despicable liars?

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by revellyre

Hands across the sea, brother. Hands across the sea.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I don't think that everybody literally wants the world to end. They just want it to change. Many realize that the only way real change will happen is if there is some kind of apocalyptic event. There isn't anything sad about this kind of philosophy, but rather, very encouraging. It means that people want to break out of the loop. Simply saying that the world has always been this way and to just accept it is not a valid or logical argument.

The pyramid scheme used to run the world is crumbling. Everybody wants to graduate from the old school and start a new paradigm.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   

i do NOT think there is more injustice, violence and corrupt politicians as opposed to the past. There were recessions and depressions in the past. In fact, compared to some societies, atrocities etc. happened in history we have it PRETTY DAMN GOOD.

First, I'd like to second Itsnowagain's video recommendation, everyone should take a few minutes to watch it. It might help with proper perspective.

Maybe we do have it "good", in comparison to past times, but we have to be careful of how we interpret history. It certainly makes no sense to blow a big horn about the fact that there has been progress, that is to be expected.

But what if much of the "progress" we feel so good about isn't quite as good (for us) as it looks?

Material progress, is this what we're mainly talking about? OK. We have a bit more to eat, we have some entertainment. As the video points out, we may get to choose our occupations, whereas in the past, not so much.

But if there is a guiding hand behind it all, then maybe we would be celebrating prematurely.

Perhaps we are like cattle, who have been given better stalls to stand in, and slightly tastier grass to chew on. But, if we're still in the stalls, and then we think we have it "pretty damn good", maybe something has gone wrong.

So, there is a bigger picture that we should strive to see I think.

While I don't think "pessimism" is a particularly healthy way to think, I also believe that realism probably appears to be "pessimistic" to most people, especially younger people.

Realism is acknowledging the ugly fact that at least in our personal physical experience, life will always get worse after a certain point, never better. We age, and eventually die.

Realism is acknowledging the ugly fact that we have "masters" that plan on keeping us enslaved. Worse, we might find evidence that they plan to tighten the chains that our grandchildren will wear.

Of course, I wouldn't want to splatter mud on anyone's rose-colored glasses, but some of us feel like we have a duty to point out, and alert our fellow humans to the less-than rosy aspects of where we're at, and where we may be headed.

I'm all for being grateful, and trying to be "happy" with whatever comes our way, but the minute we feel that it's "enough" somehow, or that it is "really" wonderful, then we might have drifted into delusion at that point.

Delusion is something we probably should continue to avoid.

There probably really is a Man Behind the Curtain, and although he may tell us to "pay no attention!", while the magician's hand is moving hypnotically, we can be certain that his other hand is where the trick is at.

JR

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
We have become separated from our roots, there are many whom suffer real pain and on a regularly occuring basis, however, we, are comfortable, we can watch it all from our arm chairs, knowing that we are safe, and even curiously and perversely hypnotized at the prospect of experiencing the sense of danger and excitement that occurs with such scenarios as we have been conditioned by countless movies that demonstrate the "good guys" always manage a lucky escape.

new topics

top topics

join