It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poor? Lucky you, get internet for 10$ a month

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by ColoradoJens

if people are collecting welfare they are not doing everything they can to change that situation that is a fact

No, that is your opinion. These kinds of simple misunderstandings on your part explains your extremely skewed point of view.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Chance321

Yes, the FCC is NOT Comcast Cable. Different argument, different thread. This is about COMCAST giving ITS customers a deal. In regard to the article you posted, the FCC intends on getting a working computer and internet in every home AS PART OF A DEAL TO REGULATE THE INTERNET- this is something people should be upset about. Not the fact a PRIVATE company has made this decision to give out deals.

CJ
edit on 7-8-2011 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

only a matter of time before we have a new trend - folks who file and wil SSI for computer addiction from surfing the $10/month internet. While they're on SSI they'll sue the provider and win that case too.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by mjfromga

Originally posted by macman

Originally posted by mjfromga
reply to post by macman

Comcast doesn't do much out of the goodness of their hearts - it will be subsidized by the full-paying customers. Instead of our normal $128 bill (we have both internet and cable TV with them), they'll raise it to $135 figuring we won't notice a few dollars. It will probably be tagged as an additional "service fee."

That is why I dropped Comcast last year.

Everyone should research the Hawk Internet Antenna. Pony up the $80 (No Govt handout necessary), install it at your home, and it will connect to free wifi sites within a 5-10 mile radius.

Got a McDonalds down the street from me. How about you??
edit on 7-8-2011 by macman because: (no reason given)

Cool. Fortunately, my husband's company subsidizes us for the internet fees because he has to work out of our house. Unfortunately, we are still stuck for the outlandish TV fees (we don't even have movie channels). Comcast talks a good price for the general price, BUT they add for the modem, the boxes, wiring fees, etc. It gets a little ridiculous. Who has one TV in their house? If you have kids, you need several boxes and that adds up to big bucks.

Rabbit ears. Gone to them first of the year, and have never thought about going back.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Count Chocula

Originally posted by macman

That is why I dropped Comcast last year.

Everyone should research the Hawk Internet Antenna. Pony up the $80 (No Govt handout necessary), install it at your home, and it will connect to free wifi sites within a 5-10 mile radius.

Got a McDonalds down the street from me. How about you??
edit on 7-8-2011 by macman because: (no reason given)

wait a minute..this whole thread you've been bitchin about poor people getting a discounted internet service and now you admit to being a wifi thief???

Businesses like Mcdonalds dont offer free wifi, its for PAYING customers while on their premises. If you are using their service from your home with this antenna then you are stealing, plain and simple. Talk about being a hypocrite.

Hold on there tiger. Who said this is what I do???

I stated the facts.

Talk about knee jerk reactions. Geesh!!!

Are you sure it is only for paying customers??? Read the fine print, as I see nothing about that.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by ColoradoJens

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

for the record if you got a job and you get welfare? pick up a second job.

dont wanna do that? american idol and playing xbox or whatever is more important i dont have sympathy.

welfare is for those who cant work thats my opinion and i am stickin to it.

I don't have sympathy for those who don't know what the real world is like. Nice lies in that if you are collecting welfare you watch american idol or play xbox. You sir, or madam have NO clue of what you speak. I always find it amazing when people who have never faced real adversity speak like this. Have you ever been laid off? Have you ever had a horrible tragedy that has destroyed your family? Have you ever had a son that had cancer? Do you have any idea what out of pocket costs are to keep a loved one alive? Do you realize many people are disabled, have these issues etc? To reduce humans who need help to "no symapthy" because of your own sad ideas of what many on welfare do says a lot about you as a human. Hopefully you will never experience the bad things that can and do happen in life. I am interested to see your attitude towards our next president. Considering only in name the pres will be a different guy, I wonder how angry you will be at them if they decide to continue welfare (guess what, they will). Question, were you this angry when (as it is PROVEN) Bush STOLE the election vs. Gore, or was it a case of that was ok because he was your guy? Also, won't it be neat when the next pres. announces some bs. program to help cut rich corp taxes? I am sure if it "your" guy you won't mind a bit.

CJ

At what point in time did sympathy equate to welfare???
Or empathy???

Anyways, people don't need sympathy or empathy from me. The fed Govt has that market cornered.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
with cable and phone, you can get a bundle with it and pretty much only pay 10-15$ a month. so what is the point of this thread? these are bundles done with companies. I know i am only paying 12$ (for net) a month with a bundle. this thread doesn't make sense to me
edit on 8-8-2011 by Jordan River because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
i cannot get Comcast here... the place is all sewed up by TWC (its their monopoly franchise here, guaranteed by the Government)

next off... one has the additional hurdle of qualifying for a 'Free Lunch' program at the school your permitted to attend.

so just being of low income/low pay is not the real qualifier, you gotta have kids on the social dole.

next a $150 voucher.... that won't get you anywhere near a PC or a Notebook, which a Norton security suite would work for.... but that 150$ might get you a 'device' that serfs the net...

if the Guberment subsidizes the comcast program then they are merely replacing midnight basketball and other assorted after-school babysitters with the comcast program of web-surfing as the babysitter.

the database farms will surely grow with all these new people to track & target for specific ADs

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Sure was nice of Comcast to throw in some limitations on their supposed "low income" plan to help the poor connect to the net.

PC World Article

"Families have to meet four different criteria in order to benefit from Comcast’s Internet Essentials. One of the children has to be enrolled in the National School Lunch Program; families have to be in one of the 39 states Comcast serves; they can’t have had Internet service from the company 90 days prior to joining the program; and can’t have any overdue Comcast bills or unreturned equipment."

"The low-cost connection will feature a paltry 1.5 Mbps download speed, and up to 384 Kbps upload, Comcast said, and the option will be available in the 39 states the cable provider currently serves."

Now, I can see this being useful to a small fraction of needy people, but in my honest opinion, this "help" is nothing more than a bid to annoy the living hell out of anyone who accepts the help, so they eventually want to upgrade it to real internet.

1.5mbps? Jesus Christ, that's back to the days of 56k baud modems!

Also, their standard fee for this very plan, outside of the special program, is $30 bucks anyways. (lol really)

So they lose very little from this, and in fact they probably still pull in a profit from that joke of a connection they are giving you.

I really do not see this as more than Comcast meeting a requirement and still using it as a business opportunity to get more people into higher priced plans.

IMHO Internet should be free. Advertising revenue would skyrocket, because projected demographics would soar. Everyone being exposed to free internet = a controlled and monitored media outlet.

Outside of overpriced premium cable, television is free. Why? Advertising. Internet should follow suit.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by yourignoranceisbliss

Sounds like Comcast has found a use for the old and outdated DSL DSLAM equipment.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

'fcourse. le poor. that's a good market.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I am poor...poor enough to access this service it would seem, altho I don't.
I am a single mother/full time nursing student with a 4.0....I took 2 classes online, so I could have more hours at home with my girls last semester. I couldn't access assignments for some of my on campus classes without the internet either. When you are a single mom of 2 girls, you cant always get to library or use free internet elsewhere....half the time I cant start on assignments until after my girls go to bed at 8 pm.
I don't go looking for handouts and sit on my arse doing nothing all day! Not all "poor" are tax money suckers, and for the record I paid about $650 in state and federal taxes last year too, on the money I do have coming in.
I totally understand and also get frustrated with the people who take advantage of federal programs while doing nothing to better themselves or elevate their situation in life....
I just wanted to show another perspective....If I can save a few dollars here and there, it certainly helps me on my path to self sufficiency!

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by DoctorSatan

I'm struggling to remember what it was called, but there was a service years ago for 9.99 a month. The catch was you had to surf the internet within their maze of advertisements that bombarded you. I want to say NetZero.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Yep exactly.....the old outdated already depreciated hardware will most likely be used to provide this service.

The Comcast corporation will then write this off as a charitable contribution and reduce their tax burden.

The major disparity in our society and directly related to poverty is due to the lack of education.

Not all the poor are Black as is often implied here on (ATS) Americans Talking Smack..

There are many poor White Americans too.

And with the Depression that we are currently in , those numbers are constantly increasing.

The One way the poor can lift themselves up from poverty as generations of many Americans historically have in the past is via education.

A kid living in rural W. Virgina without access to a local library can now read and learn things he/she couldn't have in the past. he might discover he has an interest and aptitude in mathematics. And might aspire to become an Engineer designing engines for NASCAR or Scientist working on Synthetic Oil formulations developing more horse power due to less internal friction.

As a result He might have other job opportunities to look forward to beside working in a coal mine and dying an early death due to Black Lung Disease.

There are even college courses online that some of us have taken advantage of and will now be accessible to those less fortunate.

If more people can boost their level of education and can then find descent paying jobs, then there will be fewer Americans requiring welfare.

Plain and Simple.

edit on 8-8-2011 by nh_ee because: typos

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
The internet should be FREE for everyone.

But low income internet is a great idea. Especially when people are looking for work. Most companies now do not have paper applications, you have to file online to apply for a job, many poor people cant afford internet or a computer, so anything that helps to empower someone who is down on their luck is a good thing, I hope other companies take notice and do the same.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
This is nothing new.

AT&T had the same kind of deal with the FCC when it merged with Bellsouth, except it did not involve an income requirement.

I remember looking for the service a couple of years back, and it was located on one tiny link in the corner of the page with the rest of their plans.

Here is one article about it:

AT&T Promised To Offer $10 DSL; It Didn't Promise To Tell Anyone About It from the fine-print,-people,-fine-print! dept
At the end of December, AT&T proposed a bunch of "concessions" to the FCC in order to get approval for its merger with BellSouth. While there was a last minute protest, as a few people noticed that the fine print contained a few surprising nuggets, the FCC wasted no time (literally, it was just a few hours) approving the merger on those concessions. One of the concessions was that within 6 months of the merger, the company would offer customers in certain "buildout areas" 768k (downstream) DSL for $10/month. This offer would last for at least 30 months and only be for new customers. On Friday, AT&T announced that new customers in exactly those areas could get discounted DSL... but for $19.95/month and it requires a phone line as well. That seems a bit odd. So, Karl over at Broadband Reports did some sleuthing and found out that AT&T also did start offering the $10/month DSL plan... it's just not telling anyone about it. Again, you have to read the fine print on the AT&T concessions. The company promised to offer the cheap DSL, not that it would let anyone know that it existed.

Article

I would not be surprised to see more of these kinds of deals as more telecommunications companies need approval from the FCC for various things.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
They're just lessening your motivation to better yourself, and it seems to be working

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
The poor people who are stealing & abusing government services are a drop in a bucket compared to the rich people who are stealing and abusing government services.

What you got here on this thread are those who are both jealous of the rich and poor... thats a sad state to be in.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Considering schools require internet to do homework now days, I say this is a good idea. Is it Really bothering some of you that much that kids will have access to the internet now?

Give me a break lol The internet doesn't just belong to you. It belongs to everyone.
edit on 8-8-2011 by SeventhSeal because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeventhSeal
Considering schools require internet to do homework now days, I say this is a good idea. Is it Really bothering some of you that much that kids will have access to the internet now?

This is true! Every one of my college courses has an online component. I was expected to download and print off all labs and lecture notes for Micro and study guides and other assignments for A&P as well. Not to mention the interactive physiology and online textbook.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join