It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poor? Lucky you, get internet for 10$ a month

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by mjfromga
reply to post by macman

Comcast doesn't do much out of the goodness of their hearts - it will be subsidized by the full-paying customers. Instead of our normal $128 bill (we have both internet and cable TV with them), they'll raise it to $135 figuring we won't notice a few dollars. It will probably be tagged as an additional "service fee."

That is why I dropped Comcast last year.

Everyone should research the Hawk Internet Antenna. Pony up the $80 (No Govt handout necessary), install it at your home, and it will connect to free wifi sites within a 5-10 mile radius.

Got a McDonalds down the street from me. How about you??
edit on 7-8-2011 by macman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

You think thats bad you should look into Rwanda and USAID. USAID has been giving Rwanda money to stall fiber optic cables there since 2003. They have been giving them millions of dollars a year to do this. The strange thing is even today less than 6% of the country even have power. And even that power is spotty only being avalible a few hours a day. A guy bought the company who has been running these cables for almost ten years now. When he bought the company he only had about ten people on the payroll. Those people were not there to put cables in. They were the Rwanda soccer team. Yes the guy bought a company who is supposed to put fiber optic cables in Rwanda only to find out his only employees was the countries soccer team.
And USAID are still funding other programs that have to do with the internet. They fund a internet bus that travels around and shows people laptop computers and let them play on the internet. But I think these people would probly be amazed if you just showed them a telephone. There are less than 2500 internet users in thewhole country. And those almost all located in the capitol.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman

Originally posted by mjfromga
reply to post by macman

Comcast doesn't do much out of the goodness of their hearts - it will be subsidized by the full-paying customers. Instead of our normal $128 bill (we have both internet and cable TV with them), they'll raise it to $135 figuring we won't notice a few dollars. It will probably be tagged as an additional "service fee."

Everyone should research the Hawk Internet Antenna. Pony up the $80 (No Govt handout necessary), install it at your home, and it will connect to free wifi sites within a 5-10 mile radius.

Cool. Fortunately, my husband's company subsidizes us for the internet fees because he has to work out of our house. Unfortunately, we are still stuck for the outlandish TV fees (we don't even have movie channels). Comcast talks a good price for the general price, BUT they add for the modem, the boxes, wiring fees, etc. It gets a little ridiculous. Who has one TV in their house? If you have kids, you need several boxes and that adds up to big bucks.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Just for the record, a lot of the people on welfare do have jobs. I know this is a shock and revelation, but a lot of the times they're the ones doing the jobs that make civilized life possible for the rest of us.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman

wait a minute..this whole thread you've been bitchin about poor people getting a discounted internet service and now you admit to being a wifi thief???

Businesses like Mcdonalds dont offer free wifi, its for PAYING customers while on their premises. If you are using their service from your home with this antenna then you are stealing, plain and simple. Talk about being a hypocrite.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Did you READ the "article"? NO WHERE does it say any "tax" monies are being spent. A privately owned company made the choice. Besides you obvious blindness in anger at Obama, what are you saying? If I own a company, I can't give discounts?

CJ

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

for the record if you got a job and you get welfare? pick up a second job.

dont wanna do that? american idol and playing xbox or whatever is more important i dont have sympathy.

welfare is for those who cant work thats my opinion and i am stickin to it.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

It's called capitalism. Don't use their services if you don't like it. Ever hear of a "senior discount"? If you apply your logic to this, than any establishment that has a senior discount, ladies night, or kids specials is also jacking up your price. Seems to me you don't like the free market.

CJ

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

So people should go around hungry and naked too?

You are such a wonderful person.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

for the record if you got a job and you get welfare? pick up a second job.

dont wanna do that? american idol and playing xbox or whatever is more important i dont have sympathy.

welfare is for those who cant work thats my opinion and i am stickin to it.

I don't have sympathy for those who don't know what the real world is like. Nice lies in that if you are collecting welfare you watch american idol or play xbox. You sir, or madam have NO clue of what you speak. I always find it amazing when people who have never faced real adversity speak like this. Have you ever been laid off? Have you ever had a horrible tragedy that has destroyed your family? Have you ever had a son that had cancer? Do you have any idea what out of pocket costs are to keep a loved one alive? Do you realize many people are disabled, have these issues etc? To reduce humans who need help to "no symapthy" because of your own sad ideas of what many on welfare do says a lot about you as a human. Hopefully you will never experience the bad things that can and do happen in life. I am interested to see your attitude towards our next president. Considering only in name the pres will be a different guy, I wonder how angry you will be at them if they decide to continue welfare (guess what, they will). Question, were you this angry when (as it is PROVEN) Bush STOLE the election vs. Gore, or was it a case of that was ok because he was your guy? Also, won't it be neat when the next pres. announces some bs. program to help cut rich corp taxes? I am sure if it "your" guy you won't mind a bit.

CJ

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Ha. Lucky? Yeah if the poor guy lives in a area that has CATV facilities. Not lucky if he lives out in the booties like I do where there is no CATV (cable) to attach to. Then if you want anything other than dial up you pay and pay and pay (I pay $70 per month) and get "super wow" download speeds which average about 3 kbs. Yes. 3kbs. Great huh? And I get a nice downloading limit per month as well. Isn't that nice? Good price too. So "poor" and $10 per month is not always true.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Here in Denmark, i have a fast connection 10Mbit(download)/2Mbit(upload); which i pay 25 dollars for. For that i get a free wireless router for my home, and also one of those usb modems which has a connection of 4Mbit/0,5Mbit. And of course it is unlimited how much i download.

For 10 dollars you can get a good internet connection here in Denmark, and probably in all countries of the EU.

So how expensive are your internet connection in the US for a regular joe?

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColoradoJens
reply to post by beezzer

Did you READ the "article"? NO WHERE does it say any "tax" monies are being spent. A privately owned company made the choice. Besides you obvious blindness in anger at Obama, what are you saying? If I own a company, I can't give discounts?

CJ

Well, here's another article that I think people'll find interesting: maciverinstitute.com...
The article's dated June 2010. And what makes me feel better is it doesn't cost that much.

To pay for these new broadband entitlements, the FCC would first take $15.5 billion out of the Universal Service Fund and ask Congress for “a few billion dollars per year over two or three years.”

The federal government has already spent millions of dollars in stimulus funds giving away free computers to low-income families. New York City received $22 million to give away 18,560 free computers this year with no created/retained jobs attributed to the project.

You see not very expensive only a few billion here a few billion there.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

Nice lies in that if you are collecting welfare you watch american idol or play xbox.

if people are collecting welfare they are not doing everything they can to change that situation that is a fact and it is also a fact that people who are on welfare are getting paid by tax revenue instead of creating a long term wealth creation system for themselves.

. You sir, or madam have NO clue of what you speak.

dont be so sure about that i have been kncoked down so many times and got back up and push myself back up numerous times.

i could put my life story about this in this thread but this thread isnt about me its about subsidizing the internet.

dont make this personal.

Have you ever been laid off?

yeah aint that what unemployement insurance is about but wait were talking about welfare guess they are one in the same.

Have you ever had a horrible tragedy that has destroyed your family? Have you ever had a son that had cancer?

whats that got to do with the price in china or this thread? whats medicaid for hmm?

To reduce humans who need help to "no symapthy" because of your own sad ideas of what many on welfare do says a lot about you as a human.

and a 14 trillion dollar debt and other 50 trillion that can never be paid for also says something to reduce people by just throwing money at the "problem" and do nothing to change the circumstance from why they exist.

50 million people in this country are on welfare out of a population of 310 million and given the evolution of men and sciences that number is that high? no something is rotten in denmark.

Hopefully you will never experience the bad things that can and do happen in life

been there done that twice on my death bed and i got back up and pushed forward not asking noone for nothing.

Question, were you this angry when (as it is PROVEN) Bush STOLE the election vs. Gore, or was it a case of that was ok because he was your guy?

man after that one i am not even going to bother respponding anymore.

its not worth it.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by lifeform11

Libraries
Unemployment centers
Universities

But nononono, lets gouge the tax payer more becase they may have to walk somewhere.

Again:
Comcast doesn't get taxpayer money to do this.
They have to do this so they can buy NBC
arstechnica.com...

And one more time:
All those alternatives are (at least in part) tax funded.
So, instead of a private company providing a service, you would rather have the government do it?

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
The library where I live charges about 3 dollars for every hour you're there.
Just to use, 3 damned dollars and we wonder why people can't buy bread.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by coolnet12see

Here in Denmark, i have a fast connection 10Mbit(download)/2Mbit(upload); which i pay 25 dollars for. For that i get a free wireless router for my home, and also one of those usb modems which has a connection of 4Mbit/0,5Mbit. And of course it is unlimited how much i download.

For 10 dollars you can get a good internet connection here in Denmark, and probably in all countries of the EU.

So how expensive are your internet connection in the US for a regular joe?

We have Comcast and live in an Atlanta suburb. Our cable TV is $109.65 (which is merely standard cable - no movie channels) but some of the costs are the boxes as Comcast charges a monthly fee of $8.50 per box. Our Internet with them (also nothing fancy) is $51.95. Then you have $5.40 in taxes so the total monthly Comcast bill is $167.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Likely this will be a type of Internet that's one step above dial-up, perhaps two. Before people get all bent out of shape about it, we should consider that this is the likely case.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

You do realize that there are people who work two jobs and are still on welfare, right? You do realize that the unemployment rate is around 9% in the U.S., right? All I really see is that you're determined to be mad because the people who make our lives easier and get paid a pittance to do it are actually getting a break.

This is very likely going to be the crappiest Internet connection that is feasible, probably no more than a couple steps above dial-up. God forbid we give them that so their kids can do their homework and get a good enough education to get off welfare. The teachers took it for granted that everybody had the Internet when I was in middle school 10 years ago in some podunk hick town in SC, so, yes, these kids are going to need some kind of Internet connection to do their homework. I saw several teachers send kids to the office for lying when they claimed they didn't have the Internet at home.

And as for going to the library, if you've ever actually had to go to the library to use the computers there, you'd know the realism of that expectation.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by gentledissident

Originally posted by beezzer Life did exist before computers. Honest. (we read books)

Now we have far more information available. We can discuss conspiracies, participate in large defined communities, teach each other, and download free productivity software. What I did as a kid is nothing like what I am able to do with the internet.

The library does give 2 hours a day. However, constant and easy access allows for train of thought linking any time an idea occurs.

The revolution will not be televised.
edit on 7-8-2011 by gentledissident because: (no reason given)

Exactly. This could really help out so much. Everything from entertainment, mathmatics help, e-mail to keep in touch with friends and relatives, access to learning tools, recipes, ability to make a resume, etc. for these poor families, why would you hate that when EVERY other piece of this Government is corrupt and millions, billions, trillions are being spent on tanks and bombers and ships and missiles and nukes and blah blah blah.

Why is it always the people who can easily afford something who complain when someone poor gets a little help. Anyone who acts like living on welfare is some paradise has obviously never had to do it. Or else is just acting falsely about it.

It's really sad that you should hate people just because they are poor and deny them any sort of leg up. When you're down it's hard to get back up, as everyone will soon learn first hand (this economy isn't getting any better any time soon.)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join