It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will you sacrifice your pets?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by JewelFlip
reply to post by guessing

This question has bothered me since I read A Handmaid's Tale...
(My husband adds: We stock up on their food as we stock up on ours, lets hope its all enough if it ever comes to it)

How about you?

My dove is my only lifeline to a home anyway. We would stay, with his food being
at least twice my supply. I would die before I give him up, and he will not starve here.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I would kill and eat someone before I would my cats.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by dainoyfb

Thats is exactly why my animals come before even my partner in the rankings of who goes first. I hate to sound ungreatful of her but once I took my animals home I decided for better or worse I am their master and I must provide and care for them as I would any child.

Im weird I know?

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
This link is for all of you who are planning to "release" your pets if THSHTF.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   

I would absolutely never give up or abandon my pets, unless it was truly life or death for me or my family and I knew that the animals had no chance of survival with or without me. I have a beautiful american pit, and my gf has 2 cats. Cats are a little harder to manage and keep in tow if tshtf, but I would do my best to keep this little family unit together despite any hardships. The animals didn't choose us, we chose them, so it's ultimately our responsibility to keep them happy and healthy. They rely on us fully for everything, they can't really go back to hunting / foraging

Although my pit likes to walk along blackberry patches here on the coast and pick the ripe ones, it's insanely cute.
I think the only pet I'd have to "set free" would be my 1 little beta fish. Nothing I can really do for him. I'd probably smoke a bowl with him, say my final words to him, then split him between the 2 cats. haha.
Seriously though I'd never willingly abandon any of these animals, they're family.

But honestly, if the markets shut down and food was scarce, I could keep me, my gf, the cats and the dog all fed by hunting and trapping. I can catch tons of fish off of the coast (assuming it was still there =P ) and the cats just love me for that. Everyone will survive or I'll go out trying

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I briefly considered a worse case scenario and what about the cat...
it was painful - I blocked it out

so I will instinctually say that I would treat the cat like my kids and give my portion to the cat

but thats only in the beginning... if it eventually came down to "the cat or the kids"
the kids would be eating the cat

in consideration of any scenario, I'm just sooooo glad my kids aren't kids anymore

I could not possibly imagine having to care for a small child in a SHTF situation
and I feel bad for anyone who would...

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by guessing
reply to post by Night Star

The time is approaching, if push comes to shove.....

Will you?

I do not mean eat, I mean discard. some will say eat...

For the record, I have no pets

What happened to them? Your family still around?

Deebo

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
When this happens there will be more pets on the streets than people. People will throw them out and they will band together. It will become dog eat dog and survival of the fittest. Packs will form, some will be small and some will be really big and really bad!

If your pet includes dogs then count yourself lucky, because if you cannot run with the dogs you will not survive! A family dog cannot only provide food but they can protect you from becoming food.

I put my faith in having and keeping my dogs to the end, then they can eat me if I don't make it!

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Hi, Star and Flag for you, excellent question. Heres my take and a bit of information.

We all know that pets over the last 10 to 15 years have become literally members of the family. Heck some people even buy health insurance for them, and the pet product market is a huge percentage of peoples outlay of cash. That being said I wasnt raised that way.

I have cats and dogs. The cats are house pets simply for the joy of sharing your life with an animal, we dont have mice so they really dont have a job unless you count the one that catches flies-shes a fly decimating machine.

The dogs on the other hand are a whole different story, I raise black german shepherd/Malinois security dogs. They have a job, and are bred and trained to do that job. Thier job is to bark a warning, and bite intruders, and protect my family, and they do it very well. We raise these dogs to be your personal body guard, to respond to your commands, and unlike a guard dog they have the training, and the good sense to attack without command if they feel you are threatened.

Would I give up my dogs-no, they are a part of my arsenal, and make me some money (no I am not a puppy mill, we only breed for pups when we have atleast 8 orders waiting, so that we dont have excess pups, and a spay/nueter clause is part of the contract, and we check to make sure its done if we dont do it before the pups leave our property.)

As far as hunting to survive, my dogs hunt with me thats part of thier training. They are taught to bring down big game, like deer,and if asked, bear, providing food for my family, and in turn themselves. In a sense my dogs are a tool, and a tool that I would not want to lose, they would help me to survive. So no I wouldnt part with my dogs, but they are a tool, not just a pet. For others thats not the case

No as far as people getting rid of thier pets because they have no shelter, food etc. I have to ask where have you been? I my central US area every other ad on craigslist to give away a pet notes that the current owner cant afford the animal, or are parting with it because they have to move. This is already taking place in my area, already we are hunting packs of dumped dogs,and this will only get worse as time goes on. I deal in alot of farm animals so I have been watching animal ads for several years, the instances of people getting rid of thier pets for financial reasons, or moving is happening at the rate of about 10 times what it was a year ago.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
No. My dog is my friend and protection. I will buy extra dog food and when that runs out, share our meals. The cats can catch ground squirrels and bugs and also share scraps as necessary - nobody will miss a crow or dove if we should happen to plunk one every now and again for the cats. We live close to a lake - they can eat the fish guts.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Wikka Man is a band...there's no such thing as a Wicca Man unless you mean a bloke that follows wicca religiously. A Whicker Man was, according to Julius Ceasar (think war propaganda here) used to sometimes sacrifice criminals and occasionally innocent humans; this coming off a people who perpetuated the Colisuem deaths based off older Etruscan ampitheatres, who really were killing people in the name of their gods.

What isn't said though is that theres no evidence of this going on... the criminals in pre-roman times had already sworn an oath before becoming criminals ( and knew full well what would happen to them if they were caught ). And you're missing the point yourself about sacrifices, its your own, consensual sacrifice that carries the most 'weight' in just about any religion.

And, no, I won't be eating my budgie...may end up sprouting and eating his stockpiled seed though.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
nah, I wouldn't. He has been with me since I was 8 years old ( 24 now) and he has gotten me through some really tough times..... and honestly,He is nearly 16 now( September 12th) and just kind of lays around most of the time....

So, he probably wont be around long enough for me to have to make such a choice anyway.... But if I did....No I could not sacrifice him.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
If it came down to it I would eat absolutely anything I had to to survive. Be it a dog, cat, rat, goldfish... Whatever.
I also think the vast majority of people in the world would do the same if they had no alternative.

Eat or Die.

Peace
edit on 7/8/2011 by Tachalka because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   

We've made as many preps as we can for our animals. Mine are cats so I think they're a bit better equipped to survive on their own if need be. They're also fixed, so won't be adding to a population if something should happen to me.

People are already giving up pets because of foreclosure and unemployment. Shelters are full of these animals. So it isn't a "what if" situation for a lot of families.

If you want to get a good idea of what will happen to most domestic pets after people disappear, watch "Life after People" from the history channel. Linky

I imagine it being similar when disasters/wars/illnesses begin to happen more and more

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I would become a dangerous criminal for my furry children, with all the stealth and cunning I could muster, because I utterly despise people in general, so it wouldn't be too difficult.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Tachalka

I'll bet ya anything, you are racially, either Asian or Hispanic. Si?

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by dainoyfb
I am bonded to my pets more closely than I ever have been to any person. They are by far the best part of my life. I consider their well bieng as more important than my own and would sacrifice anything to help them live a happy, healthy life. As things get rough I will be doing what ever anybody else would be doing to ensure the well bieng of their children. It is the responsibility that I accepted when I made the choice to affect their lives for better or worse by adopting them. They, more than anything else have made my life a positive experience. Returning the favor at whatever cost is the least I can do in return.

I totally agree with you...you have stated how I feel.....the author of this thread does not have pets....I'm just saying.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by simone50m
I would become a dangerous criminal for my furry children, with all the stealth and cunning I could muster, because I utterly despise people in general, so it wouldn't be too difficult.

Completely agree with ya on this. Why would it easier for me to kill another human and steal their food than to harm my own animals? Simple, they are not pets, they are my family. People with children think the same way I would assume.

Goodbye neighbors. Goodbye innocent people walking happenstance by my home. I will kill, steal and maim to feed my furry family members. When Shtf of course. Until then I will remain within tolerance of societal standards. Canines come first in my small family.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I dont have any pets but if I did I couldnt see myself eating them, but it all depends on the circumstances. I'd like to think if I did have pets and things got really bad that I'd probably just leave the house doors open and take off for the wilderness(fish I'd let go in some open water) where I know theres animals to eat, if I had a dog the dog would be coming with me and the family for obvious reasons(protection and hunting), not until things got really really bad to the point of almost starvation would I even contemplate eating that dog.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I figure my dog to be one of my greatest assets if TSHTF...he will be hunting rabbits and squirrels with me, not to mention an extra small measure of protection. Certainly worth keeping around. If I had a cat though, that thing would be stew before I went a full 24 hours without food.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join