It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

one true god, no one true religion,my thought anyways

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Right so just so you know this is my view on god and religion it may not agrre with yours,and by no means is this a call to completly give up a religion if you are part of one.
There have been non stop arguments in the past about the true religion, my simple thought on it is they are all right, and they are all based on the same god. Heres how, consider how differnt humans precive things. take a painting some one might see one kind of message portrayed in it, and another person could very well see the exact opposite, same thing with songs, speeches and pretty much anything that is open to be interpreted by the human brain, so couldnt the same thing be applied to god? someone might have a differnt perception of god than someone else, those two people could than go find some other people with a similar interpretation of god and than two completly differnt religions could be formed because of two differnt preceptions of the same entity(for lack of a better term). so if people were all to interpret things the exact same there would be only one religion, at least in theory. So thats my look at it, multiple relgions based on the same god, they are all equaly right.
Questions,comments anyone??

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Religion is man made! God is absolute! I can't remember where I originally found this, it's been on my computer for a long time, but very good.

"God is absolute. All other absolutes are derived from His absolute character. But when any man, or grouping of men, think that they have determined the absolutes of God absolutely and set about to impose them absolutely on others, then you have the absolutism of religion.

It is the natural propensity of man to want to get everything figured out. We have a "lust for certainty." We want everything to be "cut and dried," black and white, right and wrong, with no loose ends. We do not like paradox, antinomy or dialectic.

Most men cannot accept that the Infinite God is bigger than their finite ability to understand. So we set about to reduce God to fit within our rationalistic and intellectual reasonings. We reduce God to fit within our mental "box," then we nail it shut, construct our creed, and absolutely affirm that we have God figured out. We have reduced God to no bigger than our cranial cavity."

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by NeoAlef2012

god to me is one mystery i doubt any lifeform will ever solve. so religion may attmept to try to explain god, or what humans think is god

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
It's beyond our thought process.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by connorromanow

Dear connorromanow,

I want to make sure that I understand you, all religious beliefs are right, there are no religions that are wrong? Did I get it because I am pretty sure that somethings are just silly. I also have a hard time reconciling Satanism with Judaism or Christianity. The Satanists would openly tell you that there are two Gods and that we (Christians) serve the wrong one. I would tell them the same; but, I have a friend who is a Satanist and we don't have such arguments, we respect each others right to believe as we will.

All beliefs are not correct, 2+2+4 and not 5, some beliefs are just wrong. All beliefs are worthy of respect and we are all wrong some of the time, heck, maybe most of the time; but, some of us are also right more than we are wrong. Here is another thing I know, we never know when we are wrong till another shows us where we have made a mistake in our logic. Interaction is pretty good for finding where we have failed in our logic.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

i forgot to clarify that, im not completly sure where satanist stand in this belif, they have a preception of god(that theres no god) so in this case this one may be wrong, i dont know. im not satanist
the other thing is that satan is part of religous preception of something as well, what that is is very hard to know, and if the story's of demons,satan and other names throughout religions are true, lets hope we never find out what that something is
edit on 7-8-2011 by connorromanow because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Religion, by itself, without God, or any diety, absolutely, all the same in all areas of degrees, and they fulfill the need for the human condition to want to look to a higher authority, to something beyond themselves for direction. It's hard wired within us, and something basic towards the function of any society, ie. one must have a leader to keep the group together since most people require to be part of a group, or hive mentality, ie. drones or sheep...

But, going further into this one, true religion bears only positive fruits entirely because it's directly in contact, and has taken all of it's direction from the creator of all that exists, itself. Adding humans into being the instruments automatically means there will be those that simply don't get it, and create a public spectacle of "their" version of the religion which is absolutely not what it is in the first place. Example being, Christians that shun all those that do not conform to their perfect ideal, well guess what, this happens in all of the faiths and it's a human expression and perversion of what the true faith they are supposed to represent, represents. Keep in mind, one can take any words and make them say something entirely different then what they were meant within the original context, and this includes every religious text created, thus backing up a flawed understanding of it in the first place to the layman.

Do all lead to the same place? Absolutely not, not with true religion! Some get to the same place that may "seem" like different religions, but in reality, are only part of the same one, just putting forth efforts within part of it's aspects while ignoring others. They key to this from an inside perspective is if one is actually in true reality, in touch with God himself, or if they are simply trying to fit in with some group.... Sadly in the Christian world, the latter is most common of the case, thus the many negative remarks made to it, and seemingly within it itself. Jesus hanged out with tax collectors, prostitutes, beggars, thieves, etc. as the example to follow, not that he was like them, but he gave them respect and dignity the rest of society never does, and thus, they "all" turned to God and led very productive lives afterwards. We are one in the same as those poor people he visited, we just tend to want to think an impressive stock portfolio holds higher esteem then someone like Sister Mother Teresa who helped countless of our destitute....

God is Love, and that is the core of the faith, all faith, regardless of it all, and if one has God, they also have Love...

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
A very BIG problem with religion, for example judaism & christianity is mistranslations. The greeks mistranslated a TON from the ancient scriptures, for example. The hebrew word "sheol" means the grave, where as the greeks mis-translated this word for their word "hades", when translated into english, it became hell. With that one mistake it changed an entire meaning of alot of things in scripture. The catholics really messed it up. When compiling the "bible". They changed verses, added verses & destroyed entire scrolls that they didn't agree with. They used religion to control the masses. There is an awsome book entitled, "Misquoting Jesus" by Bart Ehrman. I strongly suggest this read for everyone.
edit on 7-8-2011 by NeoAlef2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Dear connorromanow,

I was trying to be amusing, not attacking. We look for agreement to prove a truth; but, truths always start from one and grow. The question is not how do we reconcile all wrong, seek to find the truth and then understand that we are all imperfect and understand imperfectly. I have no reason to believe that every religion is wrong, just because I find that false does not mean that there is no truth. Don't worry about agreeing, worry about being agreeable. Do all things in love and don't worry about being right, worry about people going without and help them. At least that is what I have learned. Be well.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

ill try to follow some that advice in that post there, it makes sense

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by NeoAlef2012
A very BIG problem with religion, for example judaism & christianity is mistranslations. The greeks mistranslated a TON from the ancient scriptures, for example. The hebrew word "sheol" means the grave, where as the greeks mis-translated this word for their word "hades", when translated into english, it became hell. With that one mistake it changed an entire meaning of alot of things in scripture. The catholics really messed it up. When compiling the "bible". They changed verses, added verses & destroyed entire scrolls that they didn't agree with. They used religion to control the masses. There is an awsome book entitled, "Misquoting Jesus" by Bart Ehrman. I strongly suggest this read for everyone.
edit on 7-8-2011 by NeoAlef2012 because: (no reason given)

You are correct along mistranslations, but not in the manner you describe at all. I have three parties of studies I deal with. One on the surface reading, within literals along the current translations and texts, the other along each translation, being brought back to their roots along the meanings behind them, and tracing them back is very easy to be addressed these days, the third is the context upon what they are written unto and for, I can go into a fifth which will get more into metaphysics and spirituality, but that is not the point of the remarks upon the comment.

My typical bible study within a mainstream green protestant church, only stuff on the surface counts, and this has dangers since you indeed, are practicing and following a flawed mistranslated understanding of scripture. Understand though, this is only within small limits and is not the bulk at all of their understanding and what's being taught. The deeper ones, tend to deal with people in their 60s and 70s +,. seasoned a bit more and are looking for the deeper meanings to things, "since they have exhausted the surface studies",

I find the Catholic's study more along the latter aspect then the rest by far, and I also take note here, the Catholic bible has 7 more books then all of the protestant bibles. The Orthodox have more, but not a lot, and the fact you made that they omitted books was false, they were the ones that formed the original cannon entirely based upon public acceptance and use, the rest either have tossed them out, or ignore books all together.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   
No they're not the same. Some people think nature is God, others think the universe is God, and some even think they are God. The Abrahamic faiths and other faiths are mutually exclusive. They're not all describing and worshipping the same God. Saying so involves a lot of hand-waving to ignore the contradictory descriptions of God.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   
All religions are pointing to the same thing. The truth. Some call IT God, some call it the Atmam, some Christ.
They are all pointing toward awareness, consciousness, this, being, the self, now and here, the divine place.

Take a look at this;
youtu.be...

Or this;
youtu.be...

Namaste.
edit on 7-8-2011 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
If you remember this fact, you can then look around you and figure it out:

We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience. The human experience is the artificial reality that allows our spiritual development. It is what it is as you are only the witness. Avoid being the judge. One being has this capacity. Your only job is to develop love for God and love for others. Within this mindset, you can then rightly divide the truth from all belief systems. The job is to separate the truth from the counterfeit. Counterfeit truth can only ride along to the mind if it is wrapped in truth. LINK

Originally posted by connorromanow
Right so just so you know this is my view on god and religion it may not agrre with yours,and by no means is this a call to completly give up a religion if you are part of one.
There have been non stop arguments in the past about the true religion, my simple thought on it is they are all right, and they are all based on the same god. Heres how, consider how differnt humans precive things. take a painting some one might see one kind of message portrayed in it, and another person could very well see the exact opposite, same thing with songs, speeches and pretty much anything that is open to be interpreted by the human brain, so couldnt the same thing be applied to god? someone might have a differnt perception of god than someone else, those two people could than go find some other people with a similar interpretation of god and than two completly differnt religions could be formed because of two differnt preceptions of the same entity(for lack of a better term). so if people were all to interpret things the exact same there would be only one religion, at least in theory. So thats my look at it, multiple relgions based on the same god, they are all equaly right.
Questions,comments anyone??

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
For clarity I'm part of a Christian church and a massive part of any religion is following the faiths interpretation of the bible, scripture or anything else that is deemed "the truth". If you don't or won't learn and follow their truths you are not really a part of their faith.
I ask though "do you know scripture (or whatever) or do you know God"? To know God is what is required, not to know the bible and where everything is in it and all about it. The bible is teaching us what is right and what is wrong, for me I have mostly always known when I have done the wrong thing and the same is true for the right things. This is what we inherited from the garden of Eden, to know the difference of Good and Evil. Scripture and writings are there to reinforce this and to help understand it. It seems most if not all religions are force feeding their interpretation of right and wrong upon their followers when the goal that has always been was to create unity with our creator, one on one. This is what was lost in the beginning and what I feel is most important, to know God. I personally found God long before I found any religion and from what I can see and understand every religion holds a piece of the truth, all we need to do is piece it all together to form the bigger picture.

Peace

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Most religionists are inconsistent when it comes to the implications of divine "oneness".

The title of your thread contains just such an inconsistency, although it is very common, just look at the replies so far.

If you want to have "one true god", then the most logical thing is to actually have, "one true religion".

In fact, this is what the more "traditional" brands do believe. Orthodox Jews don't think anyone else has the right answer. Catholics (not so long ago) actually called their religion the "One True Faith". The Islamic crowd may have it's divisions too, but they will be happy to tell you about how their religion is the "only" true one, etc.

As impossible as it is for everyone to be right, at least they are being logically consistent!

In fact, there is one other caveat here to be aware of. It has to do with consequences. All of the above, regarding the logical consistency of one true god, one true religion, only actually matters if the god that is believed in, has attached consequences to a failure to believe, accept, etc. Sometimes, there is a bit more wiggle room, these kinds of religionists might offer the possibility that the apparent non-believer might still have a good heart, or some may even go for a theological definition, something like "invincible ignorance". But the whole paradigm still requires consequences, otherwise, the whole thing becomes absurd.

The New Age has it's brand of "oneness" that has blunted the consequentialist aspect, but still retains just enough to be (somehow) credible to enough followers. Their watered-down consequences might involve Karma, which usually translates to being reincarnated "down". Obviously, something like a "hell" is a bit more serious when it comes to consequences.

In actual practice, most religionists are stuck with difficulties that are hard to resolve. Protestant Christianity for example, they are forced to retain the need for "oneness" in religion, but are in the absurd position of having to stretch definitions of what constitutes the "church" to begin with, and then on the other hand, are forced to pare down theological beliefs to bare essentials. Otherwise, the concept crumbles, since there is little unity in fact with what they purport to adhere to. No wonder, the most viril remnants of this brand are also the most conservative, as they attempt to hold a line that can rapidly evaporate, if vigilance is relaxed too much.

So, historically, monotheist traditions have recognized the logical need for a kind of "oneness" in their religions.

Of course, this has been a recipe for constant conflict through the ages, which is probably why modern Christianity and Judaism has become considerably watered-down. Perhaps a "good" thing, from a practical standpoint, but not an internally logical one. Eventually, their slippery slope will continue on into more and more rationalism.

Sadly, this trend is not likely to be strong enough to overcome what appears to be a human need for certainty, which only suggests that the future could involve even more potent forms of absolutist theism, and the "one religion" that logically proceeds from such a notion.

My personal study seems to suggest that there may be something of a convergence ahead, and a "One World" mega religion will come to be accepted by the majority at some point, as history itself becomes radically reinterpreted to accomodate what would today still be considered "wild" syncretism.

I suppose if it were merely "natural" forces at work, as we contemplate this coming convergence, there might be little to worry about. But, I see evidence that TPTB want it this way. It's possible that our masters will not be happy enough to have merely our bodies behind barbed wire, they might actually prefer to have our minds collectively even more enslaved as well. All to better serve them in their coming Utopia (our Plantation).

Considering how enslaved so many already are in their thinking, this is not a pleasant thought about our future.

JR
edit on 7-8-2011 by JR MacBeth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by JR MacBeth

I thought you might like to see this;
youtu.be...

One world religion, the next step. We need to keep our power and stop giving it away. Give the power to the Self only.

edit on 7-8-2011 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   

I like what you had to say. I would only argue with you on one part of that, though... Rather than say they are all equally right, perhaps you could just say that they are all equally wrong... After all, if they proclaim to be the only true religion, then they are wrong already. And I could think of a lot of other things that are wrong with religion. I believe people should have a god, not a religion. Religions try to tell people the right way to worship, and how to please your god and avoid hell, how to perform ceremonies and stuff and its all man made... We don't have any idea if god wants us to sing songs while people in the world suffer, or give our money to a man calling himself a man of god, or eat a cracker and drink some juice or wine and pretend its the flesh and blood of Jesus... We should all just follow our hearts and do what we know is right which is kindness towards eachother and helping eachother. That's IT.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   

I like what you had to say. I would only argue with you on one part of that, though... Rather than say they are all equally right, perhaps you could just say that they are all equally wrong... After all, if they proclaim to be the only true religion, then they are wrong already. And I could think of a lot of other things that are wrong with religion. I believe people should have a god, not a religion. Religions try to tell people the right way to worship, and how to please your god and avoid hell, how to perform ceremonies and stuff and its all man made... We don't have any idea if god wants us to sing songs while people in the world suffer, or give our money to a man calling himself a man of god, or eat a cracker and drink some juice or wine and pretend its the flesh and blood of Jesus... We should all just follow our hearts and do what we know is right which is kindness towards eachother and helping eachother. That's IT.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   

top topics

<<   2 >>

join