It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Government Announces New Hacker-Recruitment Program

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Government Announces New Hacker-Recruitment Program

www.redorbit.com

The US Defense Department is recruiting hackers to help it bolster its defenses against cyberattacks, a former hacker now working with the government said on Thursday.

The program, known as Cyber Fast Track, was announced by Peiter Zatko during a keynote speech at the Black Hat conference in Las Vegas, according to John D. Sutter of CNN.com. The program, he says, "is aimed at hackers and computer security experts" and officially launched Wednesday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
blogs.forbes.com
www.defense.gov
www.redorbit.co m
www.blackhat.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
DARPA wants hacker help

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
If you can't beat 'em, buy 'em.

The new Hacker recruitment program - called Cyber Fast Track - was launched on Wednesday. But sbctinfantry gave ATS a heads-up back in February...

DARPA will fund hackers AND let programmers retain their Intellectual Property Rights for commercial purposes.

...the idea behind the new Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) program is to "cut red tape for hackers to apply for funding for projects that would help the Defense Department secure computer networks,"

...Cyber Fast Track is intended to fund independent cybersecurity research, though neither the total investment in the program nor the size of individual grants were disclosed.

About 20 to 100 such projects will be funded each year, according to Zakaria, and those working independently on government project "will be allowed to keep the commercial intellectual property rights while giving the Defense Department use of the project."

Check out the DARPA site.

www.redorbit.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 6/8/11 by soficrow because: add link

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Hmm....perfect timing or what?

Especially considering the Facebook and police ops released by Anon and AntiSec today. If you can't beat them, buy them, you had a perfect line right there to describe this.

Hacker retaliation by those wanting to vandalise the site to give their answer perhaps? Not condoning it but if I could think of it, I'm sure some of them are already planning to do it by now.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
They already have a bunch of hackers, they're called anonymous.............

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
there going to need alot more than security expert i have no formal education in IT and for 20k worth of nvida cuda tesla will crack any md5 encription in a few days or less... beter buy the quantum cryptographic keys aww wait i was wondering australia been shooting sbl in pine gap who would have thought they were encripted photons.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
"...a former hacker now working with the government..."

Former... bahaha because he works for the government does not mean he's not a hacker anymore.
This program is doing just that... using hackers to do the military industrial complex' shady operations

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimnal

I work in the IT security field and I can tell you.. they can buy the best cryptographic system there is and still be hacked.
Hackers like Gary McKinnon have shown how bad their systems are.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Haha, what they're doing is allowing the ranks of Anonymous and other hackers who are also trying to expose these things, and now that they're on the inside. You'll see even better drops.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by AzureSky

now that would be too good to be true !

i'm sure they would get the pwnie award for that

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
ROFL you are kidding yourselves if you didn't see this coming. I said it before, Anonymous and Antisec may be attacking them, but the main reason I think the Gov hasnt done much is because they know and see hackers as a valueble asset to them.

Why Jail someone when you can use them?

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
But they're going to just allow anyone to join, sure, background checks and all that fun stuff. But if the real hackers behind anon are very much hidden, then they will never know. Perhaps they PLANNED for this to happen at defcon.

Haha, This is going to be amusing if that is the case.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Cautionary tale, they will hire you, test you, check you work for recent patterns against their hacker intel data base, and lock you up forever as a terrorist. They already have all the hackers they need on the DARPA payroll

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   
I dunno, I'd request a full presidential pardon for any of my mis-deeds before I signed onto the payroll.

Lord knows what they'd be able to find once your in their clutches.

And the last thing you want is for them to pin you in a corner with "We know what you did on xyz date, to pqz server system, and if you don't do this for us, it's off to Federal prison".

Not something I'd be inclined too do, at least, if I had anything to hide..

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by jheated5
They already have a bunch of hackers, they're called anonymous.............

You're wrong, the government pushes people away from privacy and anonymity, anonymous promotes anonymity while pulling of simple non access attacks and program alteration or erasure. The government has no connection to anonymous, their MOs are completely reversed.

But on topic, this is pretty stupid of the government,

Govt, "hey guys (spoken like a stoner), we should hire hackers to combat hackers"
Anonymous (to themselves): hey guys, go apply for these positions so we can have a man on the inside"

Haha, that's what she said, sorry had to do it.

Government: "oh, S***, we've been erased"
Anonymous: "Haha, those idiots let us walk right in."

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by revs0lution

dont think there's to many script kiddes that can crack undisclosed pipe that traffics quantum cryptography keys or has a network card that even receives photons..

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   
It sickens me that companies encourage hackers, to attack their site.

Facebook started giving rewards, paying , encouraging them to attack our accounts.

Why the F should I now use facebook eh facebook?

That was the worlds stupidest move.

If you want them to play with something, set up something for them, a sandbox and watch them. Dont reward them for attacking the live product.

All you do is lose customers

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   
reply to post by DarkSarcasm

Spoken like someone that doesn't understand compartmentalization.

2nd.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   
mckinnon is old school like early 2000 that gonzalez dude and i love you were the real mob

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   
actually i love wasnt very good bud mckinnon was nothing compared what did he produce

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
This is interesting.

Just curious, where would I sign up?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join