It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
We get so worried, so fearful, so anxious about tomorrow, and all for no reason. We can be lost in the most oppresive emotions, and yet a milimeter away it seems, it is so easy, Heaven. Heaven is right there before us, so close. A thought away. A belief that connects man to his God.

To emphasize the importance of belief, in the bible, in deuteronomy 8:3, it says "He humbled you, causing you to hunger and then feeding you with manna, which neither you nor your fathers had known, to teach you that man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of the LORD.". The Hebrew word for mannah is Man. The two letters Mem Nun are the principal letters in the word eMuNah - faith. In other words, man lives according to his belief. Ultimately, man lives on the word of God alone.

It is amazingly funny that we make things so painful for ourselves. Its not nice to say that to someone who is suffering, but i guess by yourself you can understand and percieve the energetic humor in it. Sufferring has no inherent reality. Its like the clouds of the sky; there one day and gone another. But the sun - the light - is always there.

I notice that many spiritual traditions teach this truth. Buddhism does (Buddah is traditionally represented as laughing) and also Judaism, suprising as that may be, teaches this aswell.

The Jewish Rabbis say that in the messianic era, Isaac will be the patriarch most invoked as their forefather.. In the book of Genesis, both Abraham and Jacob are treated much more abundantly than Isaac is. Isaac has a few narratives and they are all very vague. Isaac in Hebrew, Yitchak, means, "he will laugh".

Just today for instance i was walking my dog through the park. I let her off her leash to let her walk around. Suddenly i see that shes going off on her own into the main park area where kids are playing and parents talking. Just watching her so casually walk by one human to another, sniffing one and going off to sniff another. Finally she reaches another dog and they both sniff each other.. I couldnt help but laugh at this. This dog walking around humans seeming almost dignified and respected, and watching these humans acknowledge my dog as another civilized creature. It was just so hilarious to see. It was incredibly cute.

Humor is transcendence of opposites. Humor occurs when two contrasting things unite.. Watching a dog - a clownish animal - walking by a human being with his own abstract and sophistacated perception of things, and seeing the two of them acting towards each other with love; dogs feeling loved and so walk about us with a natural confidence, and us, appreciating the beauty of this fact, it brings together two different realities and makes a light of them.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Happiness has sadness, love has fear, contentment has anxiety, but humour stands apart on its own. It is almost unique to humans, and the ability to laugh at the world, to find humour in the darkest of situations is the mark of a truly enlightened man (or gal .....
)

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 03:00 AM
link   
What sound does a pig make?

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by don't really

I am is amused. I understand you completely. I saw this with the animals and children first, then the plants and flowers stop me in the steet, now i see it in everything, feel it.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by dontreally

Thank you for bringing this up. Not enough people realize that humor is no laughing matter. It's a very important part of life. I used humor to get me through 70 days of jail. Being incarcerated, ironically, or perhaps not, offers one many opportunities for humor. In fact, I've found that, for me, humor comes more easily when I find myself in a precrious or less-than-favorable situation. Humor helps us realize that, yes this life is full of hardships, but you know what, we can make it and it isn't so bad as long as we have eachother. Humor is magnified exponentially when shared.

Maybe this has something to do with why solitary confinement has such an effect on a man's sanity. Because he doesn't have the ability to share a simple laugh with anyone, so, in a sense, solitary confinement is actually a form of humor deprivation. You lack the ability to magnify the humor you come across, and not only that, you are only exposed to your own humor that you are able to find and so you also miss out on all the "collateral" humor coming from other people you would normally come into contact with. I think this could really be a big part of why people will get damaged mentally and emotionally from too much of this type of punishment. Remember, humor is no laughing matter, we need it. Require it.

Simple contact with humans is the main part of that, I realize that. But what I'm getting at is that humor is such a major, vital, and always present part of human contact, that it in and of itself, is a viable and measurable determining factor in creating a healthy environment for a human to exist within on a daily basis. Thanks again for the topic.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Silend

i don't know....what sound does a pig make......?

top topics

join