It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could the Universes Other Worlds All Be Dead right now?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Sorry I hit enter button in Title by mistake.

They say light is the fastest travelling waveform in the known Universe.

So as is common knowledge we are in fact looking back in time when we gaze at the night sky , espescially outside our solar system.

Therefore could the Universe be dead?

All the stars dead?

Extinguished?

We wouldn't know as it takes years for light to travel to our eye?
And radio waves are slower.
It probably isn't dead, but then again?

edit on 6-8-2011 by Dr Expired because: no body

edit on 6-8-2011 by Dr Expired because: Clarity of Thread Subject

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Hmmmmm......I guess I dont see what you mean there.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
No because you are observing it

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

So its kind of like an ink blot test, but it's an ink blot thread, we see what we want to see and there is no wrong answer.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
If the universe was dead, we would be dead too.

If we're dead too, would we know we're dead?

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit

Do we know we are alive?

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I get what you're trying to say. I don't think the universe is dead.

But with that said I am sure there are some Universes somewhere that are being sucked up by dead stars if the supernova theory is correct. If that is true though I don't believe you would be getting any light from dead stars.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Expired

That has always fascinated me about the stars.

The fact that the light we see from them is from so long ago.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I'm a thinkin' if the universe was dead...it'd be awhile before we caught on

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
look up mr. wizard.. see that big bright thing in the sky..it takes 8.32 minutes for light to travel from it to us

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Time is an illusion....
Everything that can happen, IS happening now, because NOW is all that ever was.

Existence is only manifest through the possibility that it could ever exist to begin with!
Existence is a thought - an unending blink of an eye that is never open and never closed...

We are the "thought-blink" itself...
Us and everything that exists, exists only in this instant.

"Before" and "After" are simply NOW reconfigured.

edit on 6-8-2011 by DeReK DaRkLy because: ...

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l

Do we know we are alive?

Not for sure, we could be like Schrodiger's cat to an outside source, in here in our pale blue dot of a world

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by lcbjr1979

That has always fascinated me about the stars.

The fact that the light we see from them is from so long ago.

Yes thanks for staying on topic

The science says light travels from a source at approx 185,000 miles per second.
It takes years for the light to travel to our eye from even the nearest star or galaxy.
Our solar system may be alive and kicking but perhaps all others died say six months ago?
That is the point of the thread, it is the science section not the skunk works section.
Thanks for being one of the few to reply with respect

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   

I would say that based merely on observation as a point of reference, sure, I guess "most" of the universe could be "dead" save for our solar system and any solar systems that are observable within a few light-years. As far as the complex science that could prove otherwise through physics or otherwise, well, that is certainly not my specialty.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
The Hubble telescope sees much more detail than the average backyard Telescope, one day there may be a breakthrough in optics and a star will be able to be seen as we see our own Sun?
Theoretically we could see a fleet of Alen starships leaving their dying solar system?..if the magnification and optic breakthrough came?
It spins my mind as I look through my eight inch reflector amd see the light of worlds that may not exist.
I think so much of our knowledge about stars and other solar systems is based on assumption, not what may be the reality?

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Only systems EXTREMELY far away could be dead. With the time that we've been observing the stars, most of the ones we observe are close enough we would know within a lifetime.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Not necessarily: www.youtube.com...

As per the OP's point... the fact it is "popped" may have just not reached us yet.

Namaste!

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   

If that were the case we would know by now. The closest star to us is Proxima Centauri - about 4.3 light years give or take. Since a lightyear is the distance lgiht will travel in one year, it takes light about 4.3 years to go from Proxima centauri to our solar system.

If the system was dead, we would have known a long time ago as the light would no longer be reaching us.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

If that were the case we would know by now. The closest star to us is Proxima Centauri - about 4.3 light years give or take. Since a lightyear is the distance lgiht will travel in one year, it takes light about 4.3 years to go from Proxima centauri to our solar system.

If the system was dead, we would have known a long time ago as the light would no longer be reaching us.

But if the star died say 4.2 years ago wouldn't we still see the light coming to our eye?
Would not the radio telescopes receive input from the star also?

So the whole universe further away and including Proxima Centauri? could in fact be dead?.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Well there is space in all directions, so there could even be worlds farther away from the big bang than us wondering the same thing.

There's no way to know if ALL worlds are dead, but im betting that multiple worlds have some form of life. Probably even mars. Even water at extreme temperatures can harbor life(North Pole, anyone?) so with NASA "Finding out" that there's water on Mars there is probably life on it somewhere.

And it takes light very little time to reach us from Mars(relative to the rest of the universe, at least).

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join