It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need Feedback on a PhotoVoltaic array on my roof

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I'm decided to use some of my 4 -fold gold gains to install a solar array on my roof...
i desire to buy a system that will generate all my family needs --- and then be able to send my excess solar-generated electricity to the local electric utility (as required by law)

Question: 'how does one protect their (personal) solar array from the likely/ predicted solar flares & CMEs that will 'fry' the grid?"

? Is there a 'Faraday-Cage' type of thing i could deploy over the photo-voltaic array to protect it?
my desire is to spend enough to have a supply of electricity to be off-the-grid --- but remain on-the-grid until they no longer buy the electricity i produce --or my system can no longer produce excess electricity because of a solar storm or something.

anybody got ideas or notions about possible scenarios for my proposed solar array

thanks... & i'm just interested in the facts ...not theories

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
The solar cells themselves would not be affected by a solar flare or EMP. They are just silicon wafers.
The real danger area lies in the rest of the system.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   
The main danger in Solar Flares and Electromagnetic pulses disabling electrical devices is due to Inductive Reactance.

Faradays law of induction states:

The induced electromotive force (EMF) in any closed circuit is equal to the time rate of change of the magnetic flux through the circuit.

Or alternatively:

The EMF generated is proportional to the rate of change of the magnetic flux.

en.wikipedia.org...

What this means, is that a magnetic field of sufficient strength and movement or alternating flux will induce current flow in conductors, or semiconductors.

The reason that this is a problem for electronic devices, is due to the extremely small semiconductor based transistors in those electronic devices.

If the change of magnetic flux is strong enough, it will cause voltage spikes within the devices that are beyond the devices ability to ground, and thus will cause heat beyond the devices ability to radiate away.

Basically, Electromagnetic pulses "Melt" the semiconductors from the inside out, and thus, you would only see this happening to small integrated circuits and microchips.

Since Photovoltaics are actually designed to not only work under large temperatures, but also dissipate relatively high current loads, you should not have a problem with photovoltaics in this particular fashion.

en.wikipedia.org...

new topics

join