It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Power companies prepare as solar storms set to hit Earth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Power companies prepare as solar storms set to hit Earth

news.yahoo.com

Three large explosions from the Sun over the past few days have prompted U.S. government scientists to caution users of satellite, telecommunications and electric equipment to prepare for possible disruptions over the next few days.

"The magnetic storm that is soon to develop probably will be in the moderate to strong level," said Joseph Kunches, a space weather scientist at the Space Weather Prediction Center, a division of the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).

He said solar storms this week could affect communications and global positioning system (GPS) sat
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I'm not sure about you but Ive had an instance of dim lights with a short power outage 3 days ago, which normally indicates a short in wiring. My wiring is new. My concern over this may be partly because my power company accidentally sent a 70,000 volt power surge through my house in 2008 and burned my house down. I had good insurance but dont know how to prevent a surge during a massive solar flare. Any tips? Maybe other things to watch for besides power grids?

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Time to get my super duper EMP protecting tin foil out

edit on 6-8-2011 by CasiusIgnoranze because: .

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by wonderworld

You need a single phaze surge protector,You should be able to aquire 1 from electrical distributor (trade supplier) best bet is to call in a reputable electrician.

You can buy protectors for your appliances:

www.amazon.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
there is nothing to worry about with the solar storms. I work in the sattelite broadcasting industry and SES Astra, Intelsat, Eutelsat, Arabsat, World Skies ect ect haven't even issues a potential warning.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
They haven't issued a warning? That doesn't mean squat IMO.

Perhaps part of the "bring down the grid" plan?
The entire world seems so absorbed in the credit rating (predictable) downgrade, it's a perfect time for a major grid failure.
S&F

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

It does mean squat, they are all reliant on their satellites that cost them millions to launch each to operate so they can make them profit. The sattelite operators spend more money watching the sun than NASA does. I will make you a $100 bet now nothing happens on the scale you suggest this cycle. Modern electronics is mostly sheilded these days.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
so thats why cia blimps fall out of the sky, seal team 6 helicopter fall out the sky, orange goo washes up near haarp and chinas getting a typhoon...

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by hrmmm
reply to post by wonderworld

You need a single phaze surge protector,You should be able to aquire 1 from electrical distributor (trade supplier) best bet is to call in a reputable electrician.

You can buy protectors for your appliances:

www.amazon.co.uk...

Thanks, I wish I was an electrician but there are these things/220 at the main breaker and if 1/2 of it goes out you have semi power, if that makes sense? I'm not real concerned about fire now since Ive updated all smoke alarms, wired and battery plus many Fire extinguishers. I have surge protectors on each thing, computers, TV, all delicate electronics, etc but that didnt work last time. We have some odd things going on scientifically with our solar system.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes
They haven't issued a warning? That doesn't mean squat IMO.

Perhaps part of the "bring down the grid" plan?
The entire world seems so absorbed in the credit rating (predictable) downgrade, it's a perfect time for a major grid failure.
S&F

Good point, that makes me wonder about the breach in security with all the Government hacking lately from China! That makes more sense.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grimnal
so thats why cia blimps fall out of the sky, seal team 6 helicopter fall out the sky, orange goo washes up near haarp and chinas getting a typhoon...

Yes that would be HAARP, not to mention earthquakes and droughts and weather manipulation.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I guess I’m seeing this from a scientific view point. For thousands of years, solar flares have been responsible for a multitude of calamities, from blackouts to disrupted communications to strange lights in the sky. They do disturb the Earth's ionosphere, which in turn disturbs some radio communications, and energetic ultraviolet radiation, they heat the Earth’s outer atmosphere, causing it to expand. It has negative effects on out ionosphere. With our reliance on satellites a major solar storm could be disastrous! This time I wont blame HAARP for the world wide auroras.

Maybe in layman’s terms your Satellite TV or possible internet connection will go down, maybe even cybercom, which is already compromised by hackers will fail to protect US security, among other issues.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 04:24 AM
link   
I have read in another members post that an un-plugged microwave is a faraday cage.
If true, it would be a safe place to store a phone, radio, etc.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by CitizenNum287119327
I have read in another members post that an un-plugged microwave is a faraday cage.

That's correct, how do you think it contains the microwaves lol.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by CitizenNum287119327

never thought of that.

Is there a microwave that will fit my Mercedes in.

without damaging the leather?

and no I am not Charlie Sheen

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by CitizenNum287119327

I did not really understand and would like to ask why is it necessary to put phones and radios into the microwave?

top topics

join