It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AT&T tries to con me. Stupidest offer ever

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
You won't believe this... (ok you might)

On the phone with at&t today to switch to a 10c/min pre-paid plan to save money, the rep graciously offers me "additional plans that aren't available online."

"We have a 50 minute plan for only $19.99," she says.

At this point I'm almost a little confused by the offer and questioning that I heard her right.

I said, "50 minutes for 19.99? Are you kidding me? I can pay $5 for 50 minutes!"

"But that would include taxes," she reminds me.

"That 19.99 plan would include taxes too!" I explain.

She says, "Well, that's true..."

These people are hitting all-time lows, but basic math saves the day!

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by glitchinmymatrix

Yeah, it is stupid, but I have some sympathy for those folks working the call centers. They are required to push plans. If they don't they get fired. Everything they say is monitored and they don't get very good pay.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Are you sure you didn't misunderstand the operator? .. A quick google search of at&t plans, brings up no such plan..

If this plan does exist.. THAT IS RIDICULOUS!

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   

I'm on Boost mobile with a smartphone, 50$/mo unlimited everything and great service!

I'd recommend you switch. It might even be more cost-effective to break a contract

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by TechVampyre
Are you sure you didn't misunderstand the operator? .. A quick google search of at&t plans, brings up no such plan..

OK read my OP carefully, you'll see that she told me she'd tell me about some that were NOT available online.

As far as the $50 unlimited...yes, at&t has the same offering. But, I rarely use my phone. I was paying $45 before I switched, and I was wasting a lot of money. I used a total of 33 anytime minutes last month.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by b3l13v3

I'm on Boost mobile with a smartphone, 50$/mo unlimited everything and great service!

Oh sorry. WITH A SMARTPHONE....now that's a better deal because at&t will require a separate data plan if you have a smart phone. then again, i can't say for sure because i'm not sure what coverage you get.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
The thing is though, they probably get away with these tactics on many people. Reminds me of some Wal-Mart cashiers...I always check my receipt before I leave the store, because three times already they have overcharged me, and I suspect they are pocketing that money, since it happened so frequently.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler

Yeah, it is stupid, but I have some sympathy for those folks working the call centers. They are required to push plans. If they don't they get fired. Everything they say is monitored and they don't get very good pay.

When I have called twice within the last few months to AT&T they ask if they can offer me special rates/plans. So I'm assuming you had that choice. But I did have my troubles with them. I switched to the mid-tier DSL and at the same call canceled my long-distance plan because I have 1000 minutes on their new sister, T-Mobile. Next bill, they have me listed as having some half-pint long-distance plan for about half the price. I called and complained. Supposedly, it was removed (the second time). I wonder if it will still be evident on my next bill?

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by glitchinmymatrix

Originally posted by TechVampyre

OK read my OP carefully, you'll see that she told me she'd tell me about some that were NOT available online.

As far as the $50 unlimited...yes, at&t has the same offering. But, I rarely use my phone. I was paying $45 before I switched, and I was wasting a lot of money. I used a total of 33 anytime minutes last month.

Well, did your old plan have mobile to mobile or "in" calling, if so then you may have actually used many more minutes but they don't show up in your anytime allowance because they are not relevant to this allowance. You may actually spend much more if this is true. Personally, I barely use my allowance minutes at all but with Verizon I can call everyone in my family (we all have Verizon) my fiance (Verizon) and many friends with Verizon without using any minutes. I also have unlimited data and text, my portion of the plan my mom, my two brothers, and I share is only 45$. If you have friends or family that would want to split a bill for great coverage and unlimited phone time basically then I would recommend phone-pooling. It's quite beneficial.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkSarcasm

Well, did your old plan have mobile to mobile or "in" calling, if so then you may have actually used many more minutes but they don't show up in your anytime allowance because they are not relevant to this allowance.

Yes. I used maybe 19 or 20 minutes M2M (mobile-to-mobile) minutes. Not sure of the exact number, but my total for anytime minutes, night and weekend, and M2M was like 60 or something. So I could have saved 39 dollars by being on the 10c minute plan.

Now, not every month is that low, but I'd much rather cut back on the phone time than fork over money to that awful company.

One thing I'm not sure of...When I made a call for the first time, instead of hearing a ringing tone, I heard an advertisement from at & t. If this is not just a one-time / first-call on pre-paid thing, I will cancel this trash service as soon as the funds expire and will try to find a service that doesn't do that.

Can you imagine hearing that shhhhh every time you call someone??

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by JiggyPotamus

The thing is though, they probably get away with these tactics on many people. Reminds me of some Wal-Mart cashiers...I always check my receipt before I leave the store, because three times already they have overcharged me, and I suspect they are pocketing that money, since it happened so frequently.

That'd be almost impossible. They (like all cashiers) have to balance their register at the end of their shift or being on a register...so if any discrepancies with the receipt tape, they'd quickly lose their job, after only a few such incidents.

More likely, the items were signed wrong (such as the sale being over, and someone didn't change the signing, etc.). I used to manage in retail, and saw this all the time.

Of course, Walmart (and most other stores), will own up to it, and give it to you for the sale price anyhow. (as it was their error).
edit on 8-8-2011 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler

I have worked in many call centers both on phones and in verification form. Most call centers pay very well esp when all you need is a HS degree or equivalent to get the job. The reps are a dime a dozen and those places are always hiring.

I will agree they PUSH you do say those things otherwise you can lose your job. I hated being in retention for Bright House, the area you are sent when you want to cancel a service. When they say they have to transfer you that is where you go and we are required to ask you up to three times to keep your service and offer all this free stuff to keep you. I didn't like it at all. I know what it is like to cancel due to price and I wasn't going to force people to keep something. I asked once maybe twice but if their tone was a definite no I didnt even bother. I just canceled their service for them. After that I did verification, where I verified sales of agents on the floor. I also took half those sales away and had to recall the customer and re-offer the product because the original agent stopped the tape which is not allowed because we don't know what you are telling that person. People have been told they would get a car and other crazy things just so the rep got their commission. I was not like in the dept but it came back on me if caught so I wasn't putting any bad sales through but sadly it happens.

I do not like calling customer service esp because I have worked in them and I know they havent a clue about the product most of the time. It's frustrating. I called Cisco routers the other day and long story short changing your password is considered "tech support" and mine expired so they tried to tell me I had to PAY to change my password. I complained a lot and got it free. Since when do I have ot pay to change my own password and even then the information they ask just seems completely irrelevant and they wanted access to my computer from where they are, the Philippines and I said no.

Anyway call centers mostly imo are crap there are very few good ones our there that actually train their employees well. I worked as a long distance international operator for Sprint and it was a great job. Good pay and all the overtime you wanted! That was great company and they were strict but you knew what you were doing...They were shut down due to outsourcing and about 600 people lost their jobs. The whole company, all the contracts they had their went over seas to Indian and The Philippines.

new topics

top topics

join