It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bethesda sues creator of Minecraft over use of the word "Scrolls".

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
www.destructoid.com...

Bethesda has lodged a complaint with Swedish courts against Minecraft creator Mojang over a trademark filing earlier this year. The trademark is for the title, "Scrolls," which Bethesda feels is an infringement on their trademark for, "The Elder Scrolls." The entire drama is laid out in a post on the blog of Mojang founder Markus "Notch" Persson.

Wow, well that's a bit of a stretch, I didn't know you could sue someone over the use of the word "scrolls". Next we'll see them suing someone for the use of the word "The".

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Nosred

Go behtesda, i can look the other way on this one because elder scrolls is my favorite rpg series of all time. Morrowind Oblivion and im sure Skyrim will blow me away

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by plaguedone

So it's alright for you for a huge company to sue a small indie company because they used a common word in their game's title?

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I always hate these types of copyright cases.
But I can see the issue.

It would be like if another operating system called itself Windows.

Too confusing to those with IQ's of 2.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Thats some bull. I guess the big developers are pissed at the little guy becoming popular. Games were better when it was like 6 guys working on them, instead of a thousand. Now modern games resemble crappy blockbuster movies with terrible plot/stories, and wall to wall boobs.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580

Actually it's more like Nintendo suing another game developer over the use of the word "Super", claiming they have it trademarked because of "Super Mario Bros".

Edit: I could understand it if someone was using a name like "The Older Scrolls" that was clearly intended to cause confusion, but just the word "scrolls" alone? That's just ridiculous.
edit on 6-8-2011 by Nosred because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Now it's time for the city of Las Vegas to sue Bethesda for using the word Vegas in Fallout New Vegas

If Bethesda wins the case im gonna find people with the same name as me and sue them.
edit on 6-8-2011 by NeoSpace because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
I always hate these types of copyright cases.
But I can see the issue.

Are you mentally retarded? The Elder Scrolls does not mean you get to sue people who use the word Scrolls, dimwit. Now if The Elder Scrolls game was called Scrolls and then an indie company wanted to make a game called Scrolls your analogy would be correct. Windows is called Windows by everyone, one word.... Forget it, why do I even try, it would be like competing against a kid in the Special Olympics with some of you people......

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by shug7272

I specifically love the irony in that post. The "IQ of 2" lol

BTW: Oblivion sucked. I enjoyed bits and pieces but the level scaling thing turned me off...

FALLOUT FTW

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Lash out at the competition, because whether it is justified or not, if said competition is a small company, you could easily bankrupt them in legal fees alone. I doubt that is what is going on in this case, but ya never know.
It seems like a stretch to me also, and I do not think anyone should be allowed to trademark a single word.
A phrase I can understand, but a word? The word scrolls and the phrase The Elder Scrolls seem extremely different to me, and that is what makes me wonder the point of this action by the company.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
This is funny and dangerous too.
I foresee an upcoming date when all Scottish folk around the world sue McDonald's for having Mc in their name.

Or what about scrapbook.com? Sounds awfully close to Facebook.com if you ask me.

Stop the insanity!!!!!

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Came across this in the minecraft forums.
There seems to be some (understandable) confusion in regards to where the lawsuit is coming from. To clarify, "Bethesda Softworks" (publisher and developer of game titles) and "Bethesda Game Studios" (Creators of games like Oblivion, Skyrim etc.) are not the same entity. BGS is an in-house game-making team led by Todd Howard which is one part of Bethesda Softworks, and has no direct connection to the lawsuit in progress by Bethesda Softworks. Unless further specified by the acronym "BGS", any references to Bethesda in the following article assume "Bethesda Softworks". Sorry about the confusion!

www.minecraftforum.net...

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by rootlevelaccess

And "Bethesda Softworks" owns "Bethesda Game Studios" so I don't see what the point of that was.

new topics

top topics

join