It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antarctic electrical phenomena?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
This video is about strange occurrences at the German Neumayer Station. Are these guys wearing radiation suits, or Faraday suits?
www.youtube.com...
Here is the link to the camera that is looking at the station. Over the last few days there have been some very interesting images, and I can only think they are electrical in nature.
www.awi.de...
I can't find an archive of the older images, but did save a couple that look like they are writhing blobs of plasma or electricity. They might be classed as plasmoids.

I emailed to see if I could learn more about these images, no reply yet, but I did look into the electrical environment of Antarctica, and static electricity is a big problem. Blowing snow or ice crystals cause surface charging due to the triboelectric effect, and most electrical failures of their equipment are due to static discharge. One station reported that they had seen sparks inside the station jump a gap of over a foot. How much voltage differential does that take??
I'll be keeping an eye on that camera and trying to match the weird activity to any solar activity and changes is the magnetosphere and ionosphere. I'm now wondering if this may tie in with Elenin in any way, as even if it does not represent a physical threat, could it upset the electrical and magnetic fields that protect the earth from the solar wind plasma, and if 2012 might see some huge electrical storms that could be a threat to life on this planet?

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
It could be due to the huge CME we received on the 5th. It was a M9.3 solar flare. If anything it disproves the whole earthquake/solar flare dispute, but as far as the OP is concerned it may have something to due with magnetic field disruption. Really cool pictures though, I'd sure like to know more.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
That seriously looks more like snow and lights than electrical arcing.

The youtube movie is a bunch of malarky in my opinion. The moment 2:25 starts to roll around and he says "we see the second sun" i realized he's a complete idiot. It looks like the moon and, when he points the the "hue of something following the second sun" it confirmed my first thought. It's obviously lens flare, and he's making himself look like a sincere moron. I can't express how frustrating this guy is.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
This has been discussed here on ATS less than a week ago.
Let me try and find the thread for you.

Here's one from July 15th: Thread
Another from the 28th (not much discussion): Thread 2

The thread from July 15th was the earliest posted I believe.

edit on 8/6/2011 by UnholyBones because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/6/2011 by UnholyBones because: Added links

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mapkar

The youtube movie is a bunch of malarky in my opinion. The moment 2:25 starts to roll around and he says "we see the second sun" i realized he's a complete idiot. It looks like the moon and, when he points the the "hue of something following the second sun" it confirmed my first thought. It's obviously lens flare, and he's making himself look like a sincere moron. I can't express how frustrating this guy is.

Just kind of curious about the tone of your post. You state the moment that he "see's the second sun", you realize that he's an idiot, then in virtually the same breath, you yourself state that "it looks like the moon".

So essentially, you are saying that YOUR opinion is right, and any other deviation from your given perspective, automatically makes the person an idiot.

This makes me wonder if you are either incredibly immature, egotistic, OR, you are purposefully attacking his message in order to convince others that they themselves are morons/idiots for even THINKING that the guy just may be onto something. I'm sure that there is a label for people that sabotage, or otherwise destroy a thread by isolating, degrading, and chastising either the OP, or a subsequent reply.

So tell me , just which of the three descriptions that I have outlined, are you?

Furthermore, the whole "it's a lens flare" excuse thing? Swamp Gas, Weather Balloon, ect, only worked for so long , as well. Get it? Got it? GOOD................

Sorry buddy, just getting tired of the people trashing threads and not making mature , positive contributions to forums such as this one. It's getting awfully old, isn't it?

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
ok - now after reading this thread I'm going to tell you what happened to me on 5th August - I haven't mentioned this to anyone but my husband as I personally thought I was going crazy or something and thought well, if I think it then sure enough others will too - you had to see it to believe it.

I certainly can't explain it. Here goes -

I'm 62 years of age and have never had this happen in my life. I'm in New Zealand - Wake Up - Head for bathroom - busy day ahead. Quick wash - then look in the mirror while drying my face. My Hair was standing up with static and I mean STANDING UP! The whole of the top layer of my hair up on end. You can imagine the shock looking in the mirror.
Ok I think - it's something to do with the new conditioner I used for the first time yesterday - that's it, I'm washing this off my head (God knows what's in it to make my hair do that)

So I turn on the shower - I always turn it to full hot while I wait for the hot water to come through - then add the cold.

So I give it the usual couple of secs to come throught and open the shower curtain again to add the cold - only to look down and see the strangest thing -

Just like hail stones jumping around in the shower tray - as water does when it hits with a force only - these were illuminated like pearls jumping around and much higher - they were literally lit up - well I stood watching them for at least a couple of minutes - totally dumbfounded!

I then turned on the cold mix and they stopped immediately so I turned the cold back off to check if it happened again - nothing!

Now what the hell that was is beyond me - hope some one out there can find an explanation!

I promise you I am not normally manic/crazy/ excitable or anything of the kind but I'm wondering if I'm heading that way. This world is turning real topsy turvy with things we don't understand.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
LOL this guy is hard on the head...helicopter spotlight while landing perhaps...shadow from the building the camera is mounted on...moving in unison to the shadow on the other building...man this guy is annoying...:pulsing pulsing pulsing....how about spot light blowing snow and crappy frame rate....this guy is way to scared of shadows for his own good...

Sorry if i am wrong, but this seems like he is just scared of his own shadow....

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
oldenough is this you in the Vid doing commentary?

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by oldenough

Originally posted by Mapkar

Just kind of curious about the tone of your post. You state the moment that he "see's the second sun", you realize that he's an idiot, then in virtually the same breath, you yourself state that "it looks like the moon".

So essentially, you are saying that YOUR opinion is right, and any other deviation from your given perspective, automatically makes the person an idiot.

This makes me wonder if you are either incredibly immature, egotistic, OR, you are purposefully attacking his message in order to convince others that they themselves are morons/idiots for even THINKING that the guy just may be onto something. I'm sure that there is a label for people that sabotage, or otherwise destroy a thread by isolating, degrading, and chastising either the OP, or a subsequent reply.

So tell me , just which of the three descriptions that I have outlined, are you?

Furthermore, the whole "it's a lens flare" excuse thing? Swamp Gas, Weather Balloon, ect, only worked for so long , as well. Get it? Got it? GOOD................

Sorry buddy, just getting tired of the people trashing threads and not making mature , positive contributions to forums such as this one. It's getting awfully old, isn't it?

Alright, I'll admit that the tone of my post wasn't 100% objective. I was actually in a conversation with someone in person about the very same topic not even an hour prior and may have been very irate about their logic and made the assumption that the youtube author was coming from the same angle. My tone wasn't appropriate and the use of the terms "idiot" and "moron" may not have been 100% appropriate, I'll admit that's wrong and I'll apologize for that to anyone who may have been offended.

To answer your question, I wasn't purposefully attacking anyone for THINKING that the guy may be own to something. I was more so going after the guy himself for posting the video for trying to vehemently to state that it could only be something crazy happening at Neumeyer Station. I did say that it looks like the moon, I didn't go so far as to proclaim it to be absolutely 100% without a single shred of doubt, the moon. And, I did make an educated assumption, based on personal experience with cameras, that the "huge of a second object" was lens flare because it behaved exactly like lens flare should.

As far as the remark about lens flare falling into a category with swamp gas, weather balloons, and ect... It's not so much as an excuse as a plausible explanation for some things. Are weather balloons sometimes seen as a UFO? Probably. Are some UFO's weather balloons? Probably. But, can a weather balloon actually be a weather balloon? What about lens flare? Can it account for sightings of some UFO's or other things? Sure it could. Could the "lens flare" actually be something else? Absolutely. Sometimes we have to call it as we see it, but it doesn't hurt to add a little logic to the mix. This guy on youtube may see a second planet, but I see lens flare acting as it should when working under the assumption that what was causing the flare was the moon. I personally don't see how a planet or other sun that just happens to show up randomly when camera's fits into the standard model of physics or logic. I may be wrong, but that's how I see it.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by oldenough

Hi oldenough,
Hope you don't mind but I thought I would comment on your post.

You state the moment that he "see's the second sun", you realize that he's an idiot,
That would pretty much do it for me too yet I didn't even get that far. It was all the "Nibiru/brown dwarf/planet X/UFO/subscribe to my useless fear mongering YouTube channel" BS plastered all over the video that convinced me he is an idiot.

As far as opinions go a second Sun is way down the list of possibilities, don't you think. Even so the question would then be, why can't anyone else see it?

I'm sure that there is a label for people that sabotage, or otherwise destroy a thread by isolating, degrading, and chastising either the OP, or a subsequent reply.
You might be thinking of ad hominem but in this case it doesn't matter. This guy is an idiot. Unless you actually believe that we have two Suns and only this guy can see it? If this is the case then maybe this is an ad hom attack and therefore you would need to back up his claim.

A lens flare is a lens flare no matter how many times it has been shown to be a lens flare or not. What is your point, there have been so many lens flare explanations that this one must be a real...second Sun/planet X/Nibiru/UFO?

What's getting old are idiots like this youtube poster attempting to scare people for no other reason than to get YT hits. Seriously, you don't believe this tripe do you?

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drala
oldenough is this you in the Vid doing commentary?

No, I'm afraid it is not. Personally, I give the guy an 'A' for effort, and am certain that he really believes what he is seeing . The point is this: Most all of us that view video's, read threads, and research, are looking for answers, and hopefully are indeed, finding some truths.

A mans perception IS his truth. It is all he has to work with. This neither makes it right, nor wrong, just simply what he see's and understands. No use beating up a person for trying to understand this crazy world. No matter how wrong he may or may not be.

Engaging in productive dialogue is what we need to be doing, not berating or otherwise belittling ones work.

Peace..................
edit on 6-8-2011 by oldenough because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I suppose the youtube vid may have been messed with, but if you have a look at the direct link to the camera, then every now and then you will see some weird stuff. Not knowing what the camera is makes it tough to decide if it is lens flares or an overloaded CCD, or the automatic exposure circuits getting confused. The two images I linked to (I captured about 16 over a couple of hours, all showing strange balls/blobs of light) puzzle me though, it could have been someone pointing a very strong light at the camera, but why would they do that? And the suits those 3 guys were wearing?
Another thing to consider is that the station sits pretty well under the polar auroral oval, which is very energetic, and research has shown 'patches' of a wide range of sizes of very highly ionised particles drifting over the surface.
I'd like to see a better camera installed there, and a live, 24 fps video stream. Don't tell me we dont have the technology to get a decent video out of there through a satellite. And as someone on those other threads mentioned, the south pole is still a mystery to us in many ways, and they don't seem to wan to tell us a whole lot.
It will be interesting to see if the big recent flares cause any more strange sights though.
Interesting post there from quedup. I noticed last week just how bright the Sun seemed, even when looking down or with my back to the Sun, my eyes hurt. Also, I was getting zapped with static, which is very rare for us here on the Pacific NW coast, as the air is usually quite moist, which stops static buildup. The hair standing on end is certainly from static, but glowing, bouncing water drops is a new one on me. Did you hear a high pitched sound at the same time?

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Oh, almost forgot to state my view concerning this particular South Pole phenomena. I cannot be certain that the lights, apparent celestial objects, and related aspects of movement, are anything other than what we are looking at in the first place: An incomplete video, comprised of 10 minute incremental snapshots of an area that none of us have been, nor can really draw comparison to, real life experiences.

In other words, unless I see an unbiased, historically accurate south pole sky chart (is there such a thing?) , and an unedited real time streaming video, I have NO IDEA what the hell is going on down there.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Devino

Hi oldenough,
Hope you don't mind but I thought I would comment on your post.

You state the moment that he "see's the second sun", you realize that he's an idiot,
That would pretty much do it for me too yet I didn't even get that far. It was all the "Nibiru/brown dwarf/planet X/UFO/subscribe to my useless fear mongering YouTube channel" BS plastered all over the video that convinced me he is an idiot.

As far as opinions go a second Sun is way down the list of possibilities, don't you think. Even so the question would then be, why can't anyone else see it?

I'm sure that there is a label for people that sabotage, or otherwise destroy a thread by isolating, degrading, and chastising either the OP, or a subsequent reply.
You might be thinking of ad hominem but in this case it doesn't matter. This guy is an idiot. Unless you actually believe that we have two Suns and only this guy can see it? If this is the case then maybe this is an ad hom attack and therefore you would need to back up his claim.

A lens flare is a lens flare no matter how many times it has been shown to be a lens flare or not. What is your point, there have been so many lens flare explanations that this one must be a real...second Sun/planet X/Nibiru/UFO?

What's getting old are idiots like this youtube poster attempting to scare people for no other reason than to get YT hits. Seriously, you don't believe this tripe do you?

I'm glad you enjoyed dissecting my post. Totally in context, of course.

My post had absolutely NOTHING to do with whether or not I believe the mans video. Your attempt at intellectually jousting with me, was, well, rather mediocre. None the less, I applaud your effort.

Now, the really important question is: "Why does the ship in your avatar, NOT have rat guards on the mooring lines"? Do you not realize that rats will climb up on, and board your ship?

All in good fun. Enjoyed reading your reply, thanks.

Peace.................

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Hi oldenough,
Yeah, your post caught my attention.

I meant no disrespect to you nor the OP but I feel that since UrsuAdams posted his video for public viewing then this makes him fair game for criticism. I am quite familiar with the theory of Nibiru as well as that of a binary stellar orbit (brown dwarf) and the etymology of planet X. These things are not related in any way and the use of them as such tells a lot about the knowledge, or lack there of, of the YT poster.

I am quite stern when it comes to these types of doomsday theories. Extraordinary claims demand extraordinary proof and I see no proof of this solar system having a second Sun. There have been way too many people posting end of the world claims on YouTube and elsewhere and I feel that this distracts us from what is really important, thinking positively about life. Gloom and doom and the end of the world thinking is a dead end.

Your attempt at intellectually jousting with me, was, well, rather mediocre. None the less, I applaud your effort.
Perhaps an 'E' for effort?

Now, the really important question is: "Why does the ship in your avatar, NOT have rat guards on the mooring lines"?
This ship was about ready to sail and the rat guards were removed to ready the mooring lines to be dropped. Not all ships use these things by the way. I think sometimes they get lazy and don't use them here, not many wharf rats on this end of the pond.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by GaryN

At 3:55 there is a beam from above. Try Travis Walton or Tesla ship for an explanation.
Comment Pending Approval.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Time-lapse images from a webcam.

Absolutely nothing to see but the Sun, Moon and the station lights going on and off in response to the normal daily cycle of light and darkness. The ‘flare’ is just the camera’s auto-exposure mechanism failing to cope properly with changing lighting conditions.

The sun is visible nearly all the year round from Neumayer, which is only at 70º S.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
now what could be there by Antartica? Stargate maybe?

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
The youtube video is worthless. The three people in the picture are not wearing radiation suits. They are wearing aluminized fire suits. They are coated with Mylar to deflect heat. They are also insulated to protect you from heat. Incidentally, it will also keep you warm in the cold.

new topics

top topics

join