It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Priest says Hell is an invention of the church to control people with fear

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   

"if you have heaven as a place where you are rewarded for your goodness and hell as a place where you are punished for your evil then you sort of have control of the population"

"we talk about being 'born again', when you are 'born again' you are still a child; the people do not need to be 'born again', they need to 'grow up' and accept responsibility for themselves and the world"

"the idea that the truth of God can be bound in any human system, by any human creed, by any human book is almost beyond imangiation"

"God is not a christian, God is not a jew or a muslim or a hindu, a buddhist; all of those are human systems, which human beings have created to help us walk into the mystery of God"

"you and I are emerging people not fallen people, our problem is to that we are born in sin, our problem is that we do not yet know how to achieve being fully human"

"the function of the Christ is not to recuse the sinners but to empower you and to call you to be more deeply and more fully human than you have ever realized there was the potential within you to be"

"maybe salvation needs to be conveyed in terms of enhancing your humanity rather than rescuing you from it"

"life is a startling and wondrous experience, and eventually I think we are going to discover that god is unfolding through the life our consciousness and our self consciousness and is not a parent figure up in the sky

"I believe because I am related to something that is not bound by time and space that I will share in whatever Gods eternity is"

this you all know as true in your hearts ♡
beneath the surface and beyond our differences, we are all fundamentally the same - children of Gods universe ∞

LOVE

edit on 6-8-2011 by awake1234 because: LOVE is ALOHA

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
"I honor my tradition, I walk through my tradition but i do not believe my tradition defines God but only points me to God"

the aloha spirit infuses all of the religious traditions

LOVE

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
thats only half true... the church is infamous for using hell (amongst numerous other control mechanisms) as a fear tactic... but no they did not "invent" it... like so many holidays, practices, holy lands, and books of the bible (think old testament)... they "borrowed" the concept

controlling populations by fear only works when ignorance is prevelant thats why before knowing how to read was a "big deal" churches insisted that only the heads of ceremony be able to read and interept the word... to keep populations ignorant of the source material... governments use fear in the same way today just with different mediums
edit on 6-8-2011 by 11165 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by awake1234

"you and I are emerging people not fallen people, our problem is to that we are born in sin, our problem is that we do not yet know how to achieve being fully human"

"the function of the Christ is not to recuse the sinners but to empower you and to call you to be more deeply and more fully human than you have ever realized there was the potential within you to be"

Technically being fully human is the problem. Greed, anger, self indulgance, selfishness...etc etc are all "human" nature... The beast within so to speak

Christ did not tell you to be "more fully human" he said look for the divine within, what is against human nature for the most part.

Love others as you love yourself...

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
That man seems very wise.

I'm sure he has to deal with the ridicule and torment of other Christians who find his ideas radical, and it goes to show you, who's the real Christian? Who's really the good person?

Hell is not a place you go, if you not a Christian
it's the failure of your life's greatest ambition
It's a bad decision to blindly follow any religion

-Immortal Technique
edit on 6-8-2011 by b3l13v3 because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-8-2011 by b3l13v3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
So is the priest proposing that there is no hell? I can't watch the video right now, but I'm curious. Is he saying there is not heaven too?

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Pretty interesting... Though there are churches who also don't believe in Hell because the Bible actually doesn't mention Hell the way most think of it as. It is merely a grave where we are not conscious. The only parts that the Bible does talk about Hell, the person saying it is trying to teach people whom already believe in Hell, such as the Pharisees.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

YOU are a PRIEST? I can´t believe. With your statement Hell is just an invention to control people?! Have you ever read the New Testament? Have you ever read what our Lord Jesus mentioned about Hell?
He mentioned Hell several times and with it a severe warning.
HELL DOES EXIST - otherwise YOUR statement is an insult to Calvery and Jesus´ word is a lie!

No, YOU are no priest at all! You are a false prophet, a deceiver and a LIAR!

www.thomasdietz.com

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeker58

YOU are a PRIEST? I can´t believe. With your statement Hell is just an invention to control people?! Have you ever read the New Testament? Have you ever read what our Lord Jesus mentioned about Hell?
HELL DOES EXIST - otherwise YOUR statement is an insult to Calvery and Jesus´ word is a lie!

www.thomasdietz.com

If Eric Cartman had been present here, he would probably have said:

"'True' christian war. 'True' christian war".

However he isn't here, so instead I'll say, that you guys' interpretation quibbles say quite a lot about how some christians apply their own religion.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
The problem with Hell, is that the word is used in most translations of the bible.

So, if you're a christian, there is a hell.

What hell actually is, that's the Lie.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeker58

www.thomasdietz.com

Really? Let's look. These are all words that got translated directly into Hell to fit the churches fire and brimstone scare tactics:

1. Abaddon - Hebrew for "destruction", not a fiery pit of punishment.

2. Gehenna - The name for an actual geographic location outside of Jerusalem. It was called Valley of Hinnom. THIS was the word Jesus used for "hell". Again, not a fiery pit of punishment. In fact, I read the weather was quite pleasant there.

3. Hades - Greek word for Sheol. It means "place of the dead" or "among the dead". Again, not a fiery pit of punishment.

4. Infernus - Latin for "being underneath". We think of fire when we here this word because of the theme placed on it by the church. Again, not a fiery pit of punishment.

5. Sheol - Hebrew for "the grave". Again, not a fiery pit of punishment.

6. Tartarus - The only word that actually means "hell" (as in a different dimension) and is only used ONCE. In Peter 2:4, it was used as a place to send the angels who did not follow the plan. Again, not a fiery pit of punishment.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by 11165

thankyou for contributing
correct, them term is not their (christian) invention, but rather the modern use of the word is perhaps theirs

LOVE

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by JoeDaShom
So is the priest proposing that there is no hell? I can't watch the video right now, but I'm curious. Is he saying there is not heaven too?

Heaven - yes.

Hell - no.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

thankyou

being fully human is to embrace our dark, and light designs in a divine balance

the divine within is the divine with-out; there is no-thing which God is not - the creator of creation is in creation

LOVE

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by b3l13v3

thankyou

nice quote - immortal technique

redemption is in realization = of God connection in LOVE eternal infinite universal

LOVE

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by JoeDaShom

the lake of fire is the lake of fiction

"I believe because I am related to something that is not bound by time and space that I will share in whatever Gods eternity is"

this may express his view in part on heaven

LOVE

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Meech

thankyou

yes many churches have greater awareness of the subjectivity of the interpretation of the bible and its terms, and the beliefs arising from these interpretations

believe as you perceive

LOVE

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by truthseeker58

thankyou

yes, you are correct, and for clarity this ats poster is not a priest

and yes the priest in the video is a priest, and belief in a lake of fire does not make one a christian, or a priest, rather the belief in Jesus and God

the fire lake fiction is mentioned by Jesus in Matthew and Luke, though not enough to equal in importance his teachings of LOVE for our brothers, which many of the religious are quick to disregard in practice

again, it is not belief in punishment which makes one a true believer, it is belief in a savior and salvation

you are right - the time is now for all to WAKE UP!

LOVE

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by bogomil

thankyou

sarcastic and observant

LOVE

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by xxsomexpersonxx