It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Tea Party Republicans Are Responsible For The Ratings Downgrade

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by inforeal

Most points that need to be covered here seem to already be addressed in the thread responses, but I did want to add at least one more.

The fact the Standard & Poor's is only NOW downgrading out credit rating, and only did so down to AA+, is simply ludicrous. Complete and utter collapse of US finances and ability to handle all liabilities has been a long-time coming. Former US comptroller David Walker (prior head of the GAO) has been a voice crying in the wilderness about this for years, as have others.

Additionally, the fact that the US can *currently* only (supposedly) continue to meet its obligations via continued borrowing is quite telling as to our true situation. Washington has not been serious about addressing any of the true factors for what should long-ago have lowered our credit rating for decades, and there are very few innocent in the matter.

On a closing note, S&P happens to also be full of crap, frankly. Even Obama, while publicly screaming to high heaven and saying he couldn't promise to pay the bills (thus himself and his administration actively leading to loss of confidence, and likely the downgrade), were actually letting banks and other institutions know that they honestly would *not* be defaulting as was obvious ahead of time, for anyone willing to look at the actual numbers involved.

Washington is bloated, ineffective, and deceptive. Pretty much everyone on the Hill is culpable since this was not honestly an imminent risk toward default at this time anyway, and there should be more than enough programs/departments/projects that can readily be trimmed or eliminated outright without doing much harm to anyway.

Also, Ron Paul proposed an easy fix that no one seems to have wanted to honestly consider for some reasons - one that would have given us $1.6T in debt-limit breathing room as well as exposed the Fed for the farce it is. And if anyone wants to squawk about that having been a selective default - who honestly cares if you default on money owed to yourself with no other outstanding liability tied to it? It's a shell game anyway.

Take care.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

the only thing the teaparty didnt do

kill bin laden

That makes the Tea Party the ONLY party without blood on their hands!

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by professornurbs
Lets get to schooling the OP. How can 1 group who doesn't even have a majority in not even 1 house be responsible for this. They cannot pass bills with out support from others in congress. It is simple logic to follow.

They had enough votes to block anything they didn't like from passing them. Sure Democrats could have come together with other Republicans to outnumber them, but the other Republicans were more interested in showing their allegiance to the Norquist pledge than to the country. The Dems offered up more than I ever expected them to. They offered up programs that have alienated their base. And STILL the non Tea Party Republicans were more interested in showign a unified Republican front for the purposes of the 2012 elections then they were with solving the problems.
These are the facts.
Looks like OP isn't the one who needs schooling.

And, God help me, I'm a Republican. One who has defended many of the Tea Party actions and concerns in the past. This time it went too far by a wide margin and that the rank and file Republicans caved to people who were acting like a lunatic fringe who have no grasp of economics, the global economy, or the fact that the wars left over from the prior administration require a revenue hike and tax cuts that are leftovers from the prior administration weren't creating jobs anyway....for real. When I, me, who adored Reagan, considered Alex P. Keaton the ultimate role model for a generation, and considered the Young Republicans Club just about the coolest thing in the world; when I look to the Dems for sanity....

Well, right now I wish the Tea Party a lump or two to go with their tea. And I aint talking sugar.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
How quickly people forget their history:

- Tea Party movement starts, very small on very local levels during the bush era as a loose collective of disenfranchised democrats, republicans and independants all fed up with their government as a whole

- Tea Party movement begins to grab small amounts of fame via word of mouth and alt media outlets covering the various protests and functions being preformed by this new group of unaffiliated citizens.

- Fame continues to grow, someone gets the clever name of Taxed Enough Already and the tea party gets its new name.

- Party rejects, primarily the religious right who are being marginalized as the republican party realizes their folly begin to get into the disenfranchised spirit and latch onto the tea Party for some very key issues

- sarah palin gets a woody for the tea party, Glenn beck gets a woody for Sarah Palin and the wonder twins go on the offensive.

- This is where the Koch bros start getting involved iirc and the tea party starts getting hijacked in a number of righteous republican holdout areas and all media attention on the tea party covers THIS activity.

- Tea party becomes an official political party and politicians run under it's banner and some even get elected.

So you have the Tea Party and the official Tea (GOPee) Party which are, to anyone who cares to remember, quite distinct entities.

I'm just sayin' is all...

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Praetorius

And what, show the people the shell game going on???

Go back and watch Idol.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

No, you got it all wrong.
The Tea Party was designed by the Koch Brothers, Bush, Cheney and Haliburton while they drank virgins blood out of the skulls of freshly killed illeg.....er I mean undocumented workers.. All the time sitting on a huge pile of money like Uncle Scrooge had.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Praetorius

You said the US has to borrow to meet its obligation.
Fine, but did you know we are collecting taxes at a rate the same as during the 1950’s!

Reasonable people keep telling the tea party republicans that WE NEED TO RAISE REVENUES and cut, but they won’t listen.

Even S& P mentioned this as one of their concerns.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

- sarah palin gets a woody for the tea party, Glenn beck gets a woody for Sarah Palin and the wonder twins go on the offensive.

Oh my God, when I read that coffee went everywhere. True! but funny as hell.
edit on 6-8-2011 by TimesEnd because: typo

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

Yeah yeah, just go back to sleep, I know..."Move along, nothing to see here!" as someone posted in response to myself the other day.

Eventually the blinders will fall off and the game will be exposed. Too sad I think the players will have made all their own preparations by that point, and we'll be left with the fallout. Be well, friend.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by watcher3339
And STILL the non Tea Party Republicans were more interested in showign a unified Republican front for the purposes of the 2012 elections then they were with solving the problems.

What do you mean by a non Tea Party Republican? There are Republicans and Tea Party members that ran against each other. The Rebulicans never finaced the Tea Party members. so you are right Op isnt the only person needing school welcome to the class student.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by crimvelvet

It's called the straw that broke the camels back!
The tea party republicans in this instance is the straw

Its amazing how I refute your bloated posts with a few words of wisdom!

edit on 6-8-2011 by inforeal because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman
reply to post by eNumbra

The Tea Party was designed by the Koch Brothers, Bush, Cheney and Haliburton while they drank virgins blood out of the skulls of freshly killed illeg.....er I mean undocumented workers.. All the time sitting on a huge pile of money like Uncle Scrooge had.

For giving out this info, you are now dis-invited to the annual "Spank Tiny Kittens Using Spatulas With John Stossel" event.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by inforeal
reply to post by crimvelvet

It;s called the straw that broke the camels back!
The tea party republicans in this instance is the straw

Please provide the Tea Party Budget that is the smoking straw.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   

reply to post by eNumbra

I'm sure there are some people out there who actually believe this.

Sadly divergent realities are becoming a bigger problem these days; but that's what happens when you only listen to one side of the mouth the media speaks from.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
LOL!

link   
reply to post by macman

No NO NO!

you are reading the LIBERALS script now go back to page three scene two line one and start again

link   
reasonable people hold on to their cash when their government has a history of blowing that cash time after time and beggin for more.

a fool and his money are soon parted.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by eNumbra
. . .

. . .

Good, I am not the only one who felt very uncomfortable with the way Beck looked at, talked to, and talked about Palin. And that was when I was a fan of his.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

reply to post by eNumbra

For giving out this info, you are now dis-invited to the annual "Spank Tiny Kittens Using Spatulas With John Stossel" event.

Oh man!!!
I hate cats too.

Damn it.

Oh well.

You going to the freemason/Tea Party/skull and bones party tonight??

I hear Rummsfield is doing his impressions tonight, and they have karaoke.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by inforeal

You said the US has to borrow to meet its obligation.
Fine, but did you know we are collecting taxes at a rate the same as during the 1950’s!

Reasonable people keep telling the tea party republicans that WE NEED TO RAISE REVENUES and cut, but they won’t listen.

Even S& P mentioned this as one of their concerns.

You'll want to take note of that *supposedly* I threw in there, and that I mentioned S&P as being full of crap.

There is more than enough that we could cut without eating in to the people. The reason we're still only collecting as much now as we were in the 50's is because tax increases are politically unpopular for representatives to inflict on their people, so instead of simply limiting their expansion of government and spending to so live within their means and not overreach their authorized power, they fell back on borrowing from other countries and monetizing debt via the Federal Reserve.

Starve the beast and cut the problem off at the root, don't punish the (ignorant) innocent to keep feeding that SOB! If this government would stick to the bounds of its contract with the states and the people, we wouldn't be in this mess. S&P blaming the TEA partiers (and anyone saying we DO have to keep borrowing, OR further tax the people when this monstrosity has already put them and the next few generations on the hook for $100T +) is simply lying or delusional, if not more hopefully just ignorant and mislead - and on the level of the major players, that last bit doesn't apply.

EDIT -

To clarify the taxation/50s issue somewhat - we would likely no be in this situation had we also retained the same kind of spending levels we had in the 1950s. Spending is the problem...the government has plenty of sources for and incoming revenue if living within its means.

edit on 8/6/2011 by Praetorius because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join