It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time-Travel, Teleportation, and Probability

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I'd like to elaborate upon a few thoughts I've had regarding probability and it's pure properties as well as the feasibility of applied mechanics using these properties. Let me stress that I am not an educated physicist.

The atom, as we presently model it, consists of a nucleus of protons and neutrons and an electron cloud that orbits the nucleus in many different shapes (e.g. the F orbit, S orbit, etc.). These clouds are clouds of probability as an electron has very little mass and moves rapidly around an atom. It is difficult to measure speed or position and impossibly to measure both simultaneously (Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle).

(Electron orbitals)

(The equation describing the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle)

I hypothesize that electron clouds and electrons themselves can be mathematically viewed as a universal manifestation of probability itself. This hypothesis implies that nothing perceivable is real but only possible. By this logic, to move objects or otherwise affect them physically one must, in some manner such as pushing an object, change the probability parameters of its locality within the universe. By throwing a ball, one is making it more likely that the ball (a group of electrons, made material by electrons) is on the ground away from the hand than in the hand of the thrower. Conversely, one is making it less likely that the ball is in the hand rather than anywhere else. It is through this method, which is at the base of all laws of physics, matter, and energy are governed in the universe. Any and all physical interactions function by fluctuating probability densities.

What if this probability could be altered more specifically using methods that are more than physical? What if a time travel (temporal displacement) or teleportation (any method of instantaneous travel) passenger bypassed more conventional, theoretical facilitations of these methods (machines, etc.) in favor of the source of all physical interactions? As stated, to affect probability, one must affect electrons. This is only achieved by, at the heart of electron particle interaction, utilizing polarity repulsion.

To explain this, let me use the concept of the infamous Philadelphia Experiment. Whether it was a hoax or not is irrelevant as I am using it merely to explain the idea. The Philadelphia Experiment or Project Rainbow was, allegedly, an experiment in electromagnetics carried out by the United States government to investigate the feasibility of military applications of electromagnetic fields to displace radar waves during World War II. The end result was projected to be a “cloaking device” of some type, used on-board military craft such as a warship, facilitating the avoidance of radar. Theoretically it works; electromagnetic fields can interfere with the paths of radio waves and other types of radiation, though not including visible light as shown by James Clerk Maxwell's equations regarding the physics of electromagnetism. (Also note that Faraday's law is involved with these physics.) Large electromagnetic field generators were placed upon the ship U.S.S. Eldridge and activated to perform the experiment.

The alleged end result of the experiment's final occurrence was the total physical disappearance of the destroyer-class warship used in the experiment as well as a brief change of location to Norfolk, Virginia. When the ship reappeared in its original location, several persons aboard the ship had been fused into bulkheads on the ship while others were unharmed and yet others had vanished completely.

As mentioned, to affect probability is to affect electrons and vice-versa. I postulate that the interactions of the energy of consciousness, the mind, electric process configurations in the brain, or any combination of the three, interacted with these powerful electromagnetic fields, provided that these fields reached a required power level for such an interaction to occur. (I can't really speculate on what that power level or other properties of electromagnetic fields might be). With this logic, it can be reasoned that crew members who wanted, perhaps subconsciously, to be somewhere other than the ship were transported there. Those who wanted to be on the ship were fused to it while others who might not have had any desire to be anywhere in particular remained on the ship, unharmed. In short, their state of mind changed the probability configurations of electrons at several points within space and/or time. Let me restate that my use of the Philadelphia Experiment was used for explanation only and is not a statement as to its occurrence, whether true or false.

I hypothesize that temporal displacement (time travel) or spontaneous locality alteration (teleportation) function most easily upon the concept of probability alterations regulated by the mind (as we change probability everyday using the mind as it acts through the body) If one (or manypersons), by generating the appropriate electromagnetic interference whether mechanically or biologically, simply makes it more likely that they are in 1776 rather than 2011, in New York City rather than Tulsa, Oklahoma, or a dragon is present where there was none, the universe will act accordingly and compensate (through mechanisms upon which I do not herein speculate) for the changed probability (electron) configuration by transporting the being to that space-time locus.

If this method, which I call (remote) intentional probability alteration, can be utilized and adequately mastered, space travel, faster-than-light speeds, and time travel will not require ships or other technologies. I encourage discussion on anything I haven't mentioned as well as anything I have ignored.

As always, I implore the reader to keep such discussions intelligent, on topic, and civil.

(If a more appropriate placement of this thread is in the "Science and Technology" thread, I encourage it's replacement.)

edit on 8/6/2011 by Lifthrasir because: Added a bit of punctuation.

edit on 8/6/2011 by Lifthrasir because: Adding even more punctuation.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Lifthrasir

In a manual handling lesson i was told before picking something up and moving it first check the area you wish to move it to. Where are we going to put these things we are moving with a time machine? Can we be sure there is another time than now?

I wrote this on another thread about time travel:
If time travel was possible and you stepped into the machine and blasted off and you went back just 10 minutes who would be there? You are the only one who stepped into the time machine so surely there would be no one there when you stepped out. All other people would still be where they were when you left them. This would be the conclusion of the physical material world.

If they were all there when you reached 10 minutes ago would you ever be sure if the other people existed in the real time you left?
It may be that we carry the whole universe with us where ever we go. The bubble we see and experience is it, where ever we are.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Very good questions and the latter concept is certainly a viable possibility. A question that presents itself as a corollary is, "What happens when two or more atoms exist simultaneously within time and space?" Do they annihilate each other? Does the universe compensate in some way? Is another universe created? Of course, as something moves through air or other gases, the air must be displaced first. If a motorcycle hits a brick wall, the atoms within both structures do not begin to co-exist. What happens is an energetic consequence in keeping with the second law of thermodynamics (the brick wall breaks, the motorcycle is damaged, or the rider is injured.)

Short answer, I don't know what would happen. I think these things are purely possible, but what consequences present themselves when something is removed from its temporal or spatial location? With time travel, the obvious problem of the very existence of time presents itself. Is time "stored" in some way (e.g. Temporal progression is merely moving through similar universes) or does a moment happen and can never be experienced again? Would time travel only be able to take an entity back to points in its own existence? Would instantaneous spatial travel only result in the transport to locations within the entity's perception?

Spontaneous matter generation does occur in the universe. Throughout the void of space, small particles appear and disappear spontaneously without any apparent destructive events surrounding them. Whether they come from other universes, the space between them, or simply originate from within the universe is anybody's guess. (I think they come from other universes, adherent to the second law of thermodynamics. Also, I believe that the second law of thermodynamics is a law that can describe the quantum mechanics idea of event-based universe bifurcation, or the "everything must happen" idea). Though this does occur, spontaneous particle appearance only seems to happen with extremely small particles.

edit on 8/6/2011 by Lifthrasir because: Typed it in the wrong language!!!

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Time travel & teleportation is very much possible, but it isn't going to happen in this that body that we have! In order to leave this prison body of ours, we have to seperate our spirit from the physical. When you attain that moment it is a natural feeling of fighting the exit. Myself...I have died in a motorcycle accident and have had problem ever since.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I like deep thinkers: Gr8 post!!! S&F ..Most interesting subject! I most certainly enjoyed reading and look fwd to reading others view/thoughts on this as well. The Phillie Experiment always fascinated me as well..and I have always wondered about things such as this ...

I'd love to go back in time and change few things...but who wouldn't?!

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by NeoAlef2012

Well, it is definitely possible that the human body in its current evolutionary state could not withstand or otherwise transverse space or time instantaneously. I am a believer in the soul and since it is electromagnetic energy (or another sort of energy altogether), it can transverse time and space instantly without having to displace matter first since waves are smaller than atoms and their chemical bonds.

But I think it can (to achieve this with a human body may not be presently possible) by affecting the laws of probability. Maybe the universe does compensate by affecting the probability of matter around the arriving mass. As I said in the OP, we affect probability everyday in everything we do. (These probability affectations, I believe, follow the Newtonian law of action-reaction, as they are electron movements.) The entity may just be moving faster than its usual speed. Without death of the body, I'm not so sure. Would the bond between brain and consciousness be broken? I cannot say. I believe that a body lives because of neuroelectromagnetic induction (a field such as the soul animates the body, induces and regulates electric current within the brain). It is feasible that this induction could be lost through instantaneous travel of any kind.

edit on 8/6/2011 by Lifthrasir because: Added a word.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
That's a very interesting thought! Hmmm

top topics

join