It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats Up With The Word..."JACK" ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
jack, jacks, jackie, car jack, hi jack, lo jack, pallet jack, jack frost, jack rabbit, jack of all trades, jackal, jack pot, jack hammer, jacket, jack knife, jackson, jack o lantern, jack ass, jack be nimble, lumber jack, cracker jack, jack of hearts...it goes on and on and on...whats up with the word...jack?...theres no other name/word that comes close to the multiple uses of this word...why and how does one word have so many different meanings?

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I don't know, but I suuuuuure do love it

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by blocula

Pot
You forgot, "pot" .
Oh, and " off ".
edit on 6-8-2011 by TerryMcGuire because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-8-2011 by TerryMcGuire because: Punctuation.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
actually many of these merely have 'jack' in them.

for example 75 words have 'say' in them.

hope that helps you.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
ya its crazy, check this out, its 132 words containing the word jack... www.morewords.com...

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by gunshooter
ya its crazy, check this out, its 132 words containing the word jack... www.morewords.com...
thanx for the info...the twenty or so examples i thought of were off the top of my head,i didnt realize there were "that" many!

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
jack comes from a french name : jacques. this name was first used as an occupational adjective, like "Smith".
it meant general 'support'. those refered to as 'jacques's were sort of freelance handyman types.

hence the proliferation: 'jack of all trades' = jacques, but also were used on objects: a general support device is called a 'jack'.

good thing
good name
edit on 16-11-2011 by galactix because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I surprised that we did'nt name our planet...Jack...

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I work with a guy named Jack...Really great guy. He really is a Jack-of-all trades, within his realm of responsibility.
My big problem is the big vacation calendar.
Written in big red letters for each employee:

Kelly off
Joe off
Pete off
Jack...well you can see where I am going with this.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Jack And Jill...Jack And The Beanstalk...Little Jack Horner...Jack Be Nimble...Flap Jack...Pallet Jack...Car Jack...Hi Jack...Lo Jack...Jack O Lantern...Jackal...Jack In The Box...Jack Of Hearts...Jack The Ripper... Springheel Jack...Jack...Jackie...Jackson...Jack Frost...Jack Rabbit...Jack Of All Trades...Jack Pot...Jack Hammer...Jacket...Yellow Jacket...Jack Knife...Jack Ass...Lumber Jack...Cracker Jack...It goes on and on and on...Whats up with the word...Jack?...No other word is used for so many different things and once being used as an occupational term like Smith isnt cutting it for me,theres way too many types of things here that Jack is being used to describe that go beyond occupations...
edit on 24-11-2011 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I don't know jack about the origins of it but, personally, I love it! I'm not seeing the problem here.

edit on 24/11/2011 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

top topics

join