It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SOCIAL: Space Exploration

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I am a firm believer that our future lies in space. Maybe in this solar system, maybe in another, but the first step to leaving Earth is learning more about our surroundings. Current issues in space exploration revolve around the problems with the shuttle program, the International Space Station, Mars and Moon study and possible human landings, as well as the uncertain future of Hubble. I would like to see all the candidates address this topic in the upcoming election.

George W. Bush:

Inspired by all that has come before, and guided by clear objectives, today we set a new course for America's space program. We will give NASA a new focus and vision for future exploration. We will build new ships to carry man forward into the universe, to gain a new foothold on the moon, and to prepare for new journeys to worlds beyond our own.

Source: www.whitehouse.gov...

Bush clearly wants the shuttle program optimized if not overhauled, and I agree the current shuttles are bulky, fuel hogging, space torpedos. He wants more probes and telescopes to study those areas we can not yet reach, and has a clear timeline for completion of the ISS - 2010. I have not looked into other candidates positions on NASA and such, hopefully other members of the forum can present their candidates views.

[edit on 8/17/2004 by zsandmann]

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I am a huge advocate of space exploration. As a populist; one, we don't have a candidate
and two, the party line is that the people would approve any space mission before it could commence. Personally, I want to see the shuttles retired and better alternatives developed, including the space elevator which could be built in a little as 15 years.

I would also like to see us launch solar power stations into orbit to beam power back to the planet. Studies have shown that the electric needs of the entire country could be met by a constillation of satellites collecting solar power and sending to the US.

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 09:32 PM
link   
The United States must maintain a leadership role in space exploration, and development. It is easy to point to financial resources earmarked for NASA, and ask if it could be better spent elsewhere. This shortsighted view will curtail, vice enhance future economic growth through related technologies development. The ability to provide for the worldwide space market (satellite launchings, zero-G experimentation and industrial production, and research forums) will enhance domestic capital investment. President Bush has a clear vision and a stated goal to achieve, and maintain these objectives.

President's Space Vision

President Bush's Record Science Investments

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Well since no other parties chose to give agendas, I looked over Kerry's website and found almost no mention of NASA or space exploration except for a blanket promise for more high-tech jobs.

Provide broad-based increases in funding for research, helping to create the industries and jobs of the future. John Kerry will boost support for the physical sciences and engineering by increasing research investments in agencies such as the National Science Foundation (NSF), the National Institutes of Health (NIH), the Department of Energy, the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), and the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA). This funding will help with the broad areas of science and technology that will provide the foundations for economic growth and prosperity in the 21st century including:

SOURCE: www.johnkerry.com...

His only comments about 'SCIENCE' in general are his stands on nanotech and stem cell research. I really want to see more commitment to the sciences in a party platform.

[edit on 8/18/2004 by zsandmann]

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Space Exploration

The Issue: Government has historically asserted a monopoly on space exploration.

The Principle: Voluntary, peaceful use of outer space should not be regulated by government. Space related activity is not a proper function of any government except for the protection of the terrestrial borders of that nation and its people located within that territory.

Solutions: We support all peaceful, private, voluntary attempts to explore, industrialize and colonize any extra-terrestrial resources.

Transitional Action: We support the privatization of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration

SOURCE: www.lp.org...

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 04:22 AM
link   
THe US government should continue to explore space!

There are several reasons for this. The simple one is Manifest Destiny. We will always have the urge as a specis to explore.

The money spent on the new technology will have spillover benifits for mankind here on earth.

Untold amount of resources may be avalible from space. From asteriod mining to colonies on other plantes. We need to keep making strides in our space program to get from here to there.

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
THe US government should continue to explore space!

There are several reasons for this. The simple one is Manifest Destiny. We will always have the urge as a specis to explore.

The money spent on the new technology will have spillover benifits for mankind here on earth.

Untold amount of resources may be avalible from space. From asteriod mining to colonies on other plantes. We need to keep making strides in our space program to get from here to there.

I totally agree here. As a species we are very curious, and have a longing urge to explore. The universe is something that will have to be explored eventually. In exploring the universe, many of our scientific questions will be answered, and more questions unasked. Hopefully, the universe will one day become explored just like the earth, and in doing so, the creating of new technologies, and ethics will have to follow.

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 07:00 AM
link   
I find all the money we spend on "humanitarian" type projects are best spent on space exploration. Why?

Dumping money into relieving problems on earth delays the inevitable. But space holds the keys to solving many of humanity's problems. From elbow room to resources, space holds the key to our future.

We cannot continue to hold our eggs in this basket, we need to diversify. Manifest destiny indeed!

And Kerry, like Clinton, seems to ignore this fact, something that too many liberals do, to ours and their peril.

top topics

join