It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would happen if America STOPPED outsourcing its manufacturing jobs to China?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I wonder what would happen if America STOPPED outsourcing its manufacturing jobs to China and started to give those jobs to Americans.

1) The price of goods would skyrocket to offset the building of manufacturing facilities the US doesn’t even have anymore.
2) Unions would ensure that workers in American manufacturing facilities would receive the salaries and benefits far higher than manufacturers are paying the Chinese. Therefore, the price of goods would go up even higher.
3) Americans would cry out in anger at the high price of goods and in many instances truly not be able to afford them.

It’s a case of having your cake and wanting to eat it too. We’ve driven ourselves into a hole where we want high salaries and cheap goods and services. Coupled with the recession we are experiencing, we may not have a choice but to use the Chinese.

Of course, there is India and Korea standing in the sidelines, licking their lips.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by jupiter869

30 years ago when the USA still did alot of their own manufacturing; their goods always lasted 20+ years. Today, Chinese manufactured products last 5-8 years.

The USA can't compete with Asian manufacturers. I personally would rather pay alittle extra for a better product.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Yeah baby...S&F!!!!!

I think American Companies should be required to do their manufacturing here or get the hell out of the country. I mean take your whole damn family and move.
You like communism enough to go and support their system?

Then live there.

So sick of American and global corporations liking America enough to live here, and keep their families and a couple of houses here...but they don't love America enough to help us out by keeping their business and manufacturing jobs here - which sucks.

It is treasonous and back stabbing - if you ask me.

edit on 6-8-2011 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5

30 years ago when the USA still did alot of their own manufacturing; their goods always lasted 20+ years. Today, Chinese manufactured products last 5-8 years.

The USA can't compete with Asian manufacturers. I personally would rather pay alittle extra for a better product.

Absolutely the truth!!!

And we don't always agree...

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I agree it would not be pretty, at first.
But it isn't so great now and at least we whould have some real 'hope and change' And new jobs going on.
I would love to see it happen

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   

What I love is hearing from those who work in cushy, air-conditioned offices sitting at a desk making high five to low six salary figures complaining about the price the plumber charges the to pump the basement or snake their tiolet.

That plumber works for a living...they don't IMHO.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Reply to post by jupiter869

For the same reason they havent cut international aid to other countries. The second financial crisis is an orchestrated event to bring in a one world currency and with that, the new world order. There is no way to fix a designed problem.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Monkeygod333

There is no way to fix a designed problem.

There are no problems. Only solutions that have not been tried.
edit on 6-8-2011 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
you answered your own question

anyhow the problem with supply vs demand. the amount of goods the american public demands is far greater than what its current population can produce.
also, the american public's mindset of "these are for the third world countries" (there are many with that mindset) makes it difficult to offer them these jobs.
also, no company would want to increase their costs and decrease their profit. that'll be un-american.

(forgive the lack of punctuations)

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5

that's exactly right, goods made in china don't even last 5 years, i used to be able to buy work boots, that would last a couple of years, and i mean i was hard on them. the last pair i bought only lasted six months, they were made in china, went to 5 different stores to find replacement, couldn't find any that weren't made in china. and two pair i looked at the seams were already coming apart in the store. the only choice i have is to pay for some that are at least three to four time higher. imean i used to be able to find a good pair for about $80.00 now, a good pair of made in the usa start at $125 and they arn't the kind i want.
edit on 6-8-2011 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   

You failed to vector in the real cost of living. It is not cheap electronics, appliances, or toys.

It is housing, transportation and most of all fuel. If our jobs were to come back we could actually afford those things.

When I was a kid my mother stayed at home and my father worked at GM. GM was making record profits and still payed my father well enough that we had a good life with just him working.

We do not save much from cheap goods made in China. They outsource not to make it so we can buy the goods cheaper, but so the executives get almost pure profit.

WAKE UP AMERICA PLEASE.

We are being fleeced!!

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex

What I love is hearing from those who work in cushy, air-conditioned offices sitting at a desk making high five to low six salary figures complaining about the price the plumber charges the to pump the basement or snake their tiolet.

You have to be careful with that distinction. Theres nothing wrong with working in an office if you are generating intellectual property or supporting the people that do. You need scientists and engineers in labs in offices creating the IP to be manufactured.

Its not a blue collar/white collar issue.

The problem is that the wealth of the nation has been siphoned off to support a parasite class of money manipulators that generates neither product nor the intellectual property necessary to make it. The good white collar and good blue collar jobs have all been exported leaving gods of wall street and serfs.

Know your enemy and its not a software engineer working 14 hour shifts in the office for crap pay lest his job gets exported to India.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   

It would be possible to do this; however, steep regulations would need to be in place, including rent controls and food price controls with government making sure neither industry went underwater. Most of us only have the bare bone essentials anyway. We could definitely cut off China, but there are too many business interests involved and ideologies in play that would prevent it.

Imagine the government coming out right now and saying they are freezing all rents and food prices. Imagine all the extreme right capitalists up in arms. Imagine the government coming out and saying no more of our money leaving the country to fund overseas operations. The extreme right capitalists would have a fit, they want global influence and will not be able to obtain that. Imagine that jobs start returning home and foreign goods get dried up. Prices would rise to untold levels and people reduced to slave labor wages to compensate for the lack of buying power of the population.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by justwokeup

Originally posted by TDawgRex

You have to be careful with that distinction. Theres nothing wrong with working in an office if you are generating intellectual property or supporting the people that do. You need scientists and engineers in labs in offices creating the IP to be manufactured.

Its not a blue collar/white collar issue.

The problem is that the wealth of the nation has been siphoned off to support a parasite class of money manipulators that generates neither product nor the intellectual property necessary to make it. The good white collar and good blue collar jobs have all been exported leaving gods of wall street and serfs.

Know your enemy and its not a software engineer working 14 hour shifts in the office for crap pay lest his job gets exported to India.

I apologize as you are correct.

I was referring to people I know who in my opinion make entirely more than they should, mainly because they knew somebody. Most work in Marketing, HR, IT and Accounting. (I think the accountant definately earns his pay)

Many of these folk have a elitist mindset and would not know how to change a flat tire if their life depended upon it. They think blue collar work is beneath them. But it does make for interesting debates.

But they do pay me to do the little things for them that are beneath them from time to time.

And I do make them pay me well. Money, Steak and lots of Hoegarden Beer.
Whenever I do work for them, we'll do a BBQ & debate. They buy the beer and since they drink wine, I get to take the beer home with me as well as money in my pocket. I have to admit, I like them, though I still think they make to much money for what they do.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I think you can just stop outsourcing to China at once. But, we can begin by taxing all Chinese-made products at an additional 20% - maybe even 25%. Enough to hurt, but not enough to kill. Instead of buying a $500 computer, you will buy a $600 computer. We will start demanding better quality because the items cost more money - so many Chinese products have planned obsolescence and are intended to break within a short period of time (i.e. cell phones, Barbie dolls, clothing, etc.). China kept their currency artificially deflated in order to take over entire markets and we must counteract that. Any country which deflates it's currency in order to do business with us must be taxed that percentage to bring the products back to market value. We should never do business with any country or company who uses slave labor, child labor, or does not pay a living wage to employees or does not follow our own stringent environmental codes.

The acquired tax revenue should be used to fund automated manufacturing in this country, to fund alternative fuel research, and for rebates to families agreeing to install solar energy into their homes or to purchase alternative fuel vehicles.

Outsourcing should also be encouraged in the Americas. If Mexico had a higher standard of living, these people would be less apt to come here illegally and draining our government programs. Take care of The Americas first. We've got to do more to encourage partnerships within our own hemisphere. And for God's sake, end this thing with Cuba!

Legalize pot to be administered under each state government (akin to how alcohol is controlled) to get rid of the Cartels and make manufacturing drugs here and transporting manufactured drugs (such as meth) across the nation's borders an long-term sentence of at least 10 years with NO chance of parole. Force those convicted for such an offense to work to make their keep and provide training to them and a means to find new employment when they are out. Second offenses are automatically life - crappy prison with virtually no perks - just sitting in a hole until they die. We've also got to get our own government agencies from stirring the pot by selling guns/drugs to the bad guys. What the hell is that about, anyway? Presidents should automatically be removed from office when the high-level CIA, Homeland Security, etc.commanders have agreed to perpetrate such offenses well as any of those officers implicated in the crime even if they were merely following orders. The same rule should follow at state level. This should keep both parties constantly policing such agencies.

At the college level, we must even out the spots given to foreign students. The Chinese and Indian students should not be occupying the vast majority of the science/math slots. Grad students are almost all Chinese these days in such fields. China is paying big bucks to get those students educations and to learn about all of our research (which is mostly conducted on college campuses). They take that expertise and those stolen ideas back to their own country to further destroy us. This is so very detrimental to our own population, it isn't even funny. No more than 1/8 of such students should ever be of any foreign nationality. The other 7/8 must be US citizens.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
The problem is we have been so accustomed to not sacrificing. Even a little sacrifice, for the benefit of our own children's generation, is too much to ask.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
the cost savings has gone to bottomline profits, not to consumers. It's all a scam. You pay as much as they can sucker you into paying, nothing less. How else could market sectors take turns showing record profits for decades on end?

The key to prosperity is liquidity. For the sake of ever increasing profits, corporations have bled the consumer dry. We have fewer jobs and pay that fails to keep up with the nations relative wealth, which has led to an inability to spend. To counter the ill effects of a nation run by corporate accounting, they invented ever more creative ways to allow us to spend what we don't have, for the sake of, profits.

It's the mentality that led to the 2008 bust, led to a 15 trillion dollar debt and will now lead to further collapses in the system. Part and parcel, it's all connected to one thing.... For the sake of profits.
edit on 6-8-2011 by Fiberx because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by jupiter869
2) Unions would ensure that workers in American manufacturing facilities would receive the salaries and benefits far higher than manufacturers are paying the Chinese. Therefore, the price of goods would go up even higher.
3) Americans would cry out in anger at the high price of goods and in many instances truly not be able to afford them.

Right now, due to lack of jobs, Americans can't afford goods anyway.

I don't think inflation would be that bad, as long as wages increased too. Inflation would save the housing market.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
What would happen if America STOPPED outsourcing its manufacturing jobs to China?

Janky Red would be thrilled!
edit on 6-8-2011 by Janky Red because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-8-2011 by Janky Red because: Disgustingly poor humor

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Not entirely true. If manufacturing companies followed the 30 to 1 ratio in terms of pay scale and Congress actually made use of the windfall tax for companies with an outrageous profit it could be pulled off with minimal price differences.

What would happen is that prices would stay the same as they are now more or less. Because right now everything is higher because of monetary inflation(the prices of today actually reflect pre-outsources prices before you consider the fact that our currency is worthless compared to pre-outsource currency). What will happen is that as more production is developed domestically(giving value to our currency) monetary deflation will occur. And the revaluation of the dollar would absorb any labor cost increase.

Somethings like gas would go down, electronics would go up slightly and the rest will stay the same.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join