It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO investigations on ATS

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 06:14 AM
link   
First off id like to say that I believe in aliens out there somewhere in the universe its just that i dont believe anything that moves in the sky that isn't a plane is a flying saucer. I want to find stuff that stands up to scrutiny.

I grew up reading storys of encounters where people claim to have seen strange and fantastic crafts and i have always loved to debate the subject of the possibilities of flying saucers and UFO's. I spent a lot of time studying all the famous cases along with psychology and general conspiracy theory before joining ATS. I love trying to work out the truth behind all this type of stuff and im always looking for those sightings that i can present to friends as good solid proof that there is something strange going on.

But the quality of the UFO sightings that are generally reported on ATS is generally very depressing. All the youtube videos of Chinese lanterns , remote controlled copters , balloons at a distance ,pixel blips on google maps ,kites with LEDs , birds flying in formation and bugs viewed with night shot camera's are beyond frustrating. If someone presents a video of a fuzzy dot in the sky and claims that just because they cant immediately identify what it is that its absolute proof that its a flying saucer they are just not being sensible.

There is never any need for rudeness and i think that people like me are to quickly labeled as 'debunkers' or 'skeptics' when in fact we are just realists and truth seekers. When someone is called a skeptic or a debunker after they provide a possible explantion to something its just as insulting as calling someone a crazy or an idiot when they dont have any proof. It almost seems that a lot of people here don't care about finding out the truth, they just want their 15 mins of fame or to promote their agenda of belief without reason. I realise that good UFO sightings are very , very rare but just posting anything slightly ambiguous and claiming it as 'proof' a is not helping to prove anything.

Putting up posts like "this is my UFO video , skeptics try and debunk this.." is just immature and does harm to the whole UFO investigation movement because it does not encourage sensible debate it just starts heated arguments with rudeness on both sides.

edit on 6-8-2011 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
I was a skeptic until I saw a missile or a white bright 4x4 object with a long white streak, pass by over my head. [No proof of that]

But, I agree with you. I do think, something is up there per say but I'm not going to say it's a UFO. And I really think that the debunker's shouldn't comment unless they have definitive proof to back up the photo or manipulate it in some fashion to prove that isn't a bug or a lantern or a bird. Not just some Youtube video that happened years ago, miles ago from the location.

A bright orb compared to ghostly orb is not proof of a camera malfunction nor is any proof of a Chinese Lantern, or dew spots or a ghost. I can tell the difference.

Some Youtube videos are interesting to say the least.

Cheers.

And being rude, kills the moment. Do us a favor and don't comment.

[It's like drinking and having my buzz on, and then someone wants to steal my seat and start a war. Game on buddy...]

S&F
edit on 6-8-2011 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

I agree manhunter "Some Youtube videos are interesting" and i do enjoy a good debate.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   
There are no doubt many gems amongst the myriad of ridiculous 'UFO' videos found at youtube....some of the best threads here at ATS are full of them ( like ones from Kandinsky/IsaacKoi and ROSSO last day or so) and many more are waiting to be discovered. I think it is too easy to dismiss a video because it came from youtube. Bottom line is that if someone films something odd, that is pretty much the only place to put it if you want it discussed. On the other hand I agree that there are too many threads started with a poor excuse of a ' UFO'
Sad but true, and I admit to have fallen into that trap myself!

As far as the debunkers/skeptics go...they sure do provide balance and balance is needed here but there are some who are, umm, ascerbic beyond belief.
I think it would be wonderful if everyone had an open mind rather than a closed one with attached blinkers as many skeptics do. And there is never a good reason for rudeness. Never.
edit on 6-8-2011 by annella because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
]And I really think that the debunker's shouldn't comment unless they have definitive proof to back up the photo or manipulate it in some fashion to prove that isn't a bug or a lantern or a bird......

I am having a hard time understanding the ignorant mentality you must have in order to state such drivel. So, you are crying because you don't want a "debunkers" opinion to be expressed without concrete evidence of "debunking" (which is often impossible due to the nature of the evidence)....but your 100% fine with the often at times complete drivel of an opinion that a believer would, by your standards, be able to give whenever on whatever? Talked about one sided and idiotic.

A bright orb compared to ghostly orb is not proof of a camera malfunction nor is any proof of a Chinese Lantern, or dew spots or a ghost. I can tell the difference.

Having never seen a ghost, I can't spot the difference. So glad we have you around to sort that out for us!!! But then again, by your own standards I don't care if you can "spot" the difference between a ghost and a purple unicorn flying a reptilian space-orb....if you can't give us DEFINITIVE proof of your assessment then, again going by your standards, you should not be allowed to post.

Sounds like by your standards you would prefer this place become a ghost town, or morph into some absurd board like GLP, LOL.

And being rude, kills the moment. Do us a favor and don't comment.

Some might call it being rude, others might call it pointing out reality. I can understand how the ignorant can see reality as a rude thing, it often smacks them in the face repeatedly before they fully understand it.

But I ask you, which does more damage to this subject, a fleeting moment of someone poiting something out you consider rude, or the continued and perpetual ignorance that makes us all look like idiots far too often? And on, I don't expect an honest answer about that from you on that, your feathers are too ruffled and your pride is going to get in the way of you admitting I am 100% right (and you know I am).

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by annella

I totaly agree with you annella people with closed minds on both sides of the argument should not even bother to join the debate

If i see a video i think is a bug of a balloon i try to say '"i think its a balloon or a bug" and try to give a good reason why i think that way . Theres no point in saying it "im right and your wrong so end of story".

IMO one of the main problems with this debate is that no one knows for sure what a real UFO would or should look like but many people do know what a chinese lantern or a weather balloon does look like and they tend to come down to hard on people making claims that what they have seen is a UFO.

edit on 6-8-2011 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   
the majority of the time it is people just really wanting there to be something, (suppose there isn't much wrong with that, dont we all?) but at the same time when a spec of dust on a camera lens becomes the most talked about UFO on the forum it just gets silly. they just wont take any debunk proof because they really want it to be a real alien spacecraft. in some cases i think people do just want their 15 mins of fame though.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
I think they are out there but when people post "proof of aliens" when its anything but, they have to be addressed.

You have to go through the most likely scenarios before screaming aliens, when something looks translucent, wasnt seen by anyone and only noticed by looking at a photo, its more than likely a lens flare or reflection.

Some people just have no methodology.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by MainLineThis

post by MainLineThis
Some might call it being rude, others might call it pointing out reality. I can understand how the ignorant can see reality as a rude thing, it often smacks them in the face repeatedly before they fully understand it.

There are ways and means of doing things , you can either point out and and show people why what they think they are seeing is not really what they are seeing , if they don't accept that then so what ...... or you can use a stick , having read your posts you seem to prefer the latter.

post by MainLineThis
I don't expect an honest answer about that from you on that, your feathers are too ruffled and your pride is going to get in the way of you admitting I am 100% right (and you know I am).

Case in point

post by MainLineThis
the continued and perpetual ignorance that makes us all look like idiots far too often?

You keep using this argument , how does what someone else thinks or believes make us all look like idiots , and to who , nobody cares .

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   

You are more than welcomed to your opinion. I never claimed UFOs or Aliens or Ghosts.
"I said: Something is up there" So, could mean anything.

I think if someone is going to debunk something, then re-enact it and debunk it. If you know CGI then do your own reenactment of CGI. That' is what I mean. Rather then just say, "FAKE", "CGI". It's been proven. But, you haven't done it. So how do you know for a fact that it is CGI and that they're right? You don't. Not unless you do it yourself.
edit on 6-8-2011 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I believe, but I have never seen anything myself. I allways knew something was up, all the secrecy of everything made wake up. imo I didn't learn anything in school (exept reading and writing though), we are getting teached the wrong stuff. Why learn about Hitler when we dont learn about the Nazi-ufo projects? Why learn about the egyptians when we don't learn of acient aliens? The truth is removed from our educational systems around the world. So thank the universe for the internet. Cause the infomation must get out.
My investigation is simply this, viewing interviews. Mostly Project Camelot and Avalon. And lots of other interviews. In results of my investigation, along with my good friend Skekke (who also is a ats member) we created music. Called our selfs Mystery & Science. Music that can inform-educate-teach-wakeup people.

Our third video is called: UFO's

video link
Mystery & Science - UFO's
mp3 link
Mystery & Science - UFO's

Check out our other videos if you have the time, peace

edit on 6-8-2011 by Krowmoe because: spelling error

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

Hello PhoenixOD,

While I generally agree with your opening post, I'd like to address this part of it:

But the quality of the UFO sightings that are generally reported on ATS is generally very depressing.

Nowadays, UFO sightings mostly surface from three sources. Youtube, UFO Reported Sighting Sites and MSM. Even though the quality isn't always there, once in a while a good catch comes along. And it makes for an interesting discussion. Russo's latest thread is a good example...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I tend to avoid threads that just show a yt vid without explanation or a little basic research. I also tend to avoid the threads that are clearly put up as bait. I also tend to avoid threads that turn into s*** slinging circuses. But I realize that some members enjoy them.

ATS is made of members from all over the world, from different status and personalities. Different backgrounds, ideologies and beliefs sometimes collide. Some people are cool with that, some...not as much. I think that rudeness is often times mistaken with a direct approach. Saying things as they are perceived based on the facts being shown isn't always easy to swallow. Yet, this is how we learn.

While I agree that the quality of UFO sightings is shaky at times, it makes for a nice learning experience. When I look at it this way, ATS is a Great school !

S&F.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Nice post. You have to keep ATS in context it's like a hobby its not here for facts. A bunch of amateur pseudo scientist, as far as the name calling there are alot of 20 year old kids on here that think of different thought as threatening. Just a part of growing up. Use the old Bruce Lee saying "absorb what is useful, discard what is not and add what is specifically is your own".
edit on 6-8-2011 by professornurbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by SonoftheSun

I agree SonoftheSun Russo's latest thread is very interesting , i missed that when it was posted. Thanks

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by gortex

You keep using this argument , how does what someone else thinks or believes make us all look like idiots , and to who , nobody cares .

Dude, seriously? You think when a newscaster is forced to read some story about UFO's on the msm and always ends it with laughing or making a joke it has nothing to do with the heaping amounts of ignorance displayed by those that have represented this subject to the public for over 50 years? Your smarter than that.

But, if you have no real desire to EVER get to the truth or heart of the matter, then by all means encouraging ignorance by putting on rose colored glasses and sitting idly by while admiring how tolerant you are by letting people believe anything and everything they want to.....well, your smart enough to get the point I'm making, right?

I am more than happy to have a meaningful discussion about this, but just read the threads on this very front page. The people your trying to defend can't even accept a simple explanation of something mundane.....they are THAT IGNORANT. If your too blind to see how and why the stereotype we have earned has nothing to do with disclosure or getting to the bottom of the real phenom of UFOs, well then your a part of the problem. But I do understand your desire to be politically correct and not dare ot hurt anyone's feelings. And you probably wonder how this world got so screwed up.......because people are too chick to say what everyone should be thinking.......becasue they don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. Gimme a break.

And before you guys cry, the word ignorant is not an insult.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

Are sure you even read my reply and understood it? Oh, but I guess if I give an opinion that doesn't support your ridiculous need to jump to the least likely conclusion first I must be labeled a debunker? How come I can't just say, "I'm not trying to debunk your religion here, just giving my educated and experienced opinion". would that still make you cry/

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
But, I agree with you. I do think, something is up there per say but I'm not going to say its a UFO.

Your not going to say it is unidentified? How do you do that? I don't get this statement...so you know what everything is?

Orbs, you know what orbs are? An obtuse way to give a manufactured descriptor to something someone doesn't want to do further research on, on the fear that the continuing research will only reveal something mundane, like dust or a plane on approach or dirty lenses and out of focus flash-lit bugs, etc... Its lazy, self limiting thinking...

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   

And before you guys cry, the word ignorant is not an insult.

Im pretty sure anyone would be insulted if there were called ignorant, including yourself.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   

I am ignorant of many things. Thankfully I am not so stupid as to not know what the word ignorant means. However, yes, I can be a bit miffed at times when someone who doesn't understand basic, elementary common sense calls me ignorant. But then again, that is the majority in this field it seems. I can provide many examples that fully illustrate this point, all pulled from the first 10 threads on this very page.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join