It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AURORA BOREALIS during the day!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Here are some pictures of what I believe to be a Auroa Borialis during the day.

The picture's were taken around 3PM USA Eastern Time.
Here are the pictures for thread attention.

AUG 5TH Image of the AB Oval.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6d1cf011c3f2.gif[/atsimg]
----
Here is how it started:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f3a6e30727d4.gif[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f07d78cff1b4.gif[/atsimg]
----
Here is how it ended:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9387b2b96dae.gif[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a7b1215e72bb.gif[/atsimg]
-- --- --- --- ---- ---- ---- ----- ----- ----- ------ ------ -------

All the photos in between can be found in my folder :HERE

-------------------
Here is my geographical location give or take:

Latitude: 41°37'17.65"N
Longitude: 72°34'50.39"W
------------------

It was actually pretty scary. It started off with the clouds growing with light on one half of the
sky, it filled only half, but in a Eastern direction. The direction the light was traveling was opposite of where the sun was setting. The direction of the photo's were to the East. In the images named "behind" is to the South, meaning this was not sunlight or the reflection of a sunset. (This can be determined via visiting the coordinates I posted above.) Behind

Does anyone else have a theory on moving and disipating light?

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
awesome pictures, very well captured!

thankyou!

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Very nice pictures. I tried your first link and it gave "forbidden". We didn't see nothing here.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Okay Here are the direct links to all the photos. They are 2.5MB and up.

www.ao1-squads.com... 1
www.ao1-squads.com... 2
www.ao1-squads.com... 3
www.ao1-squads.com... 4
www.ao1-squads.com... 5
www.ao1-squads.com... 6
www.ao1-squads.com... 7
www.ao1-squads.com... 8
www.ao1-squads.com... 9
www.ao1-squads.com... 10

edit on 6-8-2011 by SelfSustainedLoner because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 03:41 AM
link   
All of them are really nice. Thanks for posting more. It worked for me that time.

The colors are just awesome.

edit on 6-8-2011 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   
First, what is your location?
Second, I don't think that is aurora, to me it looks more like the sunset angle of the sun reflection off of different pollution particles which illuminate the sky in many different colors. Did you by any chance catch a shot of where the sun was in the sky? Was it on the horizon. It looks to me like the clouds are just reflection light.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by DarkSarcasm

Location was given in the opening post...

Here is my geographical location give or take:

Latitude: 41°37'17.65"N
Longitude: 72°34'50.39"W

reply to post by SelfSustainedLoner

Very interesting thread. Have not got time to look at all the photos yet but great stuff. Thanks S+F

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Oops double post - sorry - pesky mouse button

edit on 6-8-2011 by Muckster because: double post

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by SelfSustainedLoner

Interesting. 3pm EST is I assume about 7pm UTC yes? That would mean the first of the CME's had just hit but the KP was not high at that point. The main part hit just before midnight UTC.

I guess DarkSarcasm has not twigged that you don't get sunsets at 3pm in the summer months, but never mind. Debunk failed.

I think I agree that this may well be an aurora although I have never heard of one in the daytime before. I was going to say it is a shame there was cloud cover, but that may just be the reason you were able to see it.

Thanks for posting.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   
The Mrs. and I spent from 22:30 PST 8/5 to 00:30 PST 8/6 (05:30-7:30 UTC/GMT0 8/6) at approximatley 45°47'30.81"N 118°48'28.42"W with viewing conditions between class 2 and class 3 on the Bortle Dark-Sky Scale

We saw maybe 2 dozen meteors, one of which arched brightly across 30° or 40° of sky illuminating a fantastic corkscrew smoke trail in its wake. Capella put on such a show we both thought for some minutes the twinkling star cluster were white aircraft collision beacons flashing over red/green recognition lights before we recognized it but we did not see so much as a flicker of the aurora.

I would add that the setting moon was spectacular tonight, the color looked similar to what I have seen during partial lunar eclipses in the past. The color of the linked photo is below nearly identical.

I seem to recall there has been recent volcanic activity in Iceland so the brilliant hued clouds in your photograph and the rust/ochre tinted moon I saw tonight were possibly related phenomena.

I don't wish to be insulting and suggest you were only photographing the sunset but your photos definitely are not the aurora borealis and local atmospheric conditions would be a good guess.

It takes a significant event to hope to see an aurora this far south under the best viewing conditions, the best those of us below 60° can hope for from an M9 might be a dull smokey wisp low on the northern horizon.

Sorry to pop your bubble but I hope this helps.

I had read earlier reports from europe claiming sightings in Germany and Denmark, does anyone else within the continental U.S. believe to have gotten a view?

edit on 6-8-2011 by Drunkenparrot because: time

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Drunkenparrot

I don't wish to be insulting and suggest you were only photographing the sunset but your photos definitely are not the aurora borealis and local atmospheric conditions would be a good guess.

Then don't be and look at the time reported. 3pm. Sunset?

Which planet would that be on then?

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   
ummmm every day in the afternoon i see the sky like that, like all pink. it's just the sun.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan

Then don't be and look at the time reported. 3pm. Sunset?

Which planet would that be on then?

Trust me, I'm not inulting the OP.

Perhaps you would care to exercise that astute observational power and obviously sharp wit in pontificating a possible mechanism to reconcile the OP's creative writing project with their photographical contribution?

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Lat 41° is far too south to really be seeing auroras, if that was the case it would of been widely reported elsewhere.
I don't think it's an aurora, more likely some kind of cloud based reflection.
edit on 6-8-2011 by pazcat because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Perhaps you would care to exercise that astute observational power and obviously sharp wit in pontificating a possible mechanism to reconcile the OP's creative writing project with their photographical contribution?

Believe me when I say that my observational powers are no greater than anyone else's, it is just that yours are obviously not since there cannot have been a setting sun at 3 pm. Just on the odd occasion it helps to read the content of a thread rather than making assumptions.

As I clearly stated I have never heard of an aurora being visible in the day time, but this does not preclude the possibility that such a thing could happen and that conditions may be such that the clouds reflect this.

Actually the only pontificating going on around here is your self assured conviction that you are right. The word you were looking for was probably promulgating.

Can you prove that it is not possible for this to have been as aurora (assuming that the given times are correct).

The OP no more has a creative writing project here than your reply.

I have said I believe it may be an aurora being displayed by some mechanism which I do not understand. Until this is proven otherwise I shall continue to believe this and your refutation was neither reasoned nor final.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   
In TN. early dusk skies are like this. However, I have read reports where people have seen the Aurora Borealis during the day (usually 3 days before) an earthquake. tsunami, or other natural disaster. This has led people to believe that HAARP is involved. A whole other conspiracy unto it's self.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

You may want to take a quick moment to actually view all of the OP's photographs, specifically this one...

Anything look amiss yet?

If you have an EXIF reader you may want to check the EXIF data on the remainder of the OP's photographs of what the OP has described as an auroral event as viewed from Connecticut at 3pm EST on August 5th.

For lack of a metadata viewer I'll help you out....

The photo's were taken between 19:12 and 19:14 on August 1st ... sooooo, you were saying?

Will you be needing any help getting your foot back out of your mouth?

As I said, I wasn't being rude. I could have called the OP a hoaxer or a fraud?

If it makes a difference, I have both an laymen's interest and an idea how the auroral mechanism works which is how I knew the O.P. was fibbing. It would take a lot more than the M-class flare we had today to show that high in the sky at 41° latitude, much less be visible at 3PM in the summer.

Trust me as well that pontificate is exactly the verbiage I intended...

The OP no more has a creative writing project here than your reply.

I have said I believe it may be an aurora being displayed by some mechanism which I do not understand. Until this is proven otherwise I shall continue to believe this and your refutation was neither reasoned nor final.

In light of the above revelations, I'm sure you can understand how it grows into its own ATS branded dogma after awhile...

Still all friends I hope? After all, the OP is the faker, not you or I.

edit on 6-8-2011 by Drunkenparrot because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   
ive seen similar things like that b4, and i started seeing them the past 3 months, and I live in the carribean. However when I see them its close to sunset, but there has been ocations ive seen it in earlier hours maybe 4pm, not sure never checked the hour, but I do know it was daytime.

But the odd part is, ive lived here since 1992, and ive never seen anything like that till this year, and its been occuring more often the past few months.

also, there was a solar flare I think it was yesterday or the day before, and these past few months the sun has been having some pretty big flares. So an Aurora is possible to be seen through the clouds.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Some pretty pictures...

www.gdgps.net...

and

"A major geomagnetic storm is in progress following the impact of a CME on August 5th around 1800 UT. Sky watchers at all latitudes should be alert for auroras after nightfall. Tip: the best hours for aurora sightings are usually around local midnight.

Analysts at the Goddard Space Weather Lab say that the CME impact may have strongly compressed Earth’s magnetic field, directly exposing satellites in geosynchronous orbit to solar wind plasma. Stay tuned for updates on this aspect of the storm."

Source:

thewatchers.adorraeli.com...

Oh how I wish I could post actual pictures....too lazy to learn at the moment...sorry

OP I think your theory has credence too s& f

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Nice find, thought it looked abit dodgy, although the date & time settings on the OP's camera may well be incorrect to cause this EXIF date to show what it is but in the pic you present it shows stars in the sky which unless I'm incredibly mistaken do not show up at 3pm in the summer days

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join