It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The issue of race...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Kinda like we older folk treat the youth. Personally I don't they're pretty much my buddies. I look out for them and they give me a hand if I need it. Unfortunately some of my neighbors don't. They act like they're all criminals, I guess the old bastards forgot what it's like to be young.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Of course there is racism still, although it is not widely acceptable anymore so those that are racist have to cover it up for the most part. We have some openly racist organizations still but overall we as a society have been getting better and much less ignorant when it comes to what people believe are differences that seperate us from each other.

I don't believe in the idea of race myself, the only race that matters is the Human race and to me that is the only legitimate race. We have differences only because of one major similarity between us all. Our amazing ability to adapt to our environment. We are all the exact same, different adaptations provided certain benefits such as darker skin providing more protection from the Sun. Our adaptations developed over thousands of years but now we adapt our environment to us so I wonder how we may develop in the future.

Eventually we will all look the same again as blending of people around the world continues. We will likely be better off for it by keeping all of the different traits of what we call different races around the world that are most beneficial for all.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bullcookies
What's the difference between racism and multiculturalism?

Multiculturalism (in practice) has been used as a tool to combat racism. The majority of "races" show differences in skin colour and culture so be embracing these cultures and showing them to be equal to the majority culture or making favourable comparisons thereto was an attempt to reduce one of the supporting planks of racism viz the blanket labelling of whole cultures as inferior.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

Originally posted by Watts
there is a racist element in America unquestionably

you are either a joke or blind with biased and are probably just one of the racists in the country that were against the man for no other reason than the color of skin and oddness of his name.

So let me get this straight...
ONE newspaper prints an article with ONE misleading headline, and therefore the whole country is racist.

ok. I see your logic.

1. You can be seriously saying that this is an isolated event related to a "misleading" headline. You can't be.
2. Where exactly in my ENTIRE post did I say the "whole country is racist"? Loool
... in fact, the thread's opening sentence says "there is a racist element in America unquestionably against Obama."... apparently you don't know the meaning of "element" in this context.

edit on 6-8-2011 by Watts because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
The only racism I see is whe I watch NASCAR.

Other than that?

Weak excuses for a false argument.

edit on 6-8-2011 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

"Weak excuses for a false argument."
That hardly qualifies as a relevant reply. Especially given how plainly everything has been laid out.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by DOADOA
this country was attacked by a terrorist organization lead by osama bin laden, we then went after saddam hussein. then we elected a black president name barack hussein obama. OHhhh the irony.

someone is playing the mother of all joke and nobody is laughing except for the guy pulling it and me.LMAO

tell me oh wise one, name one president that is/was not hated. i can point the finger at five people that hate you RIGHT NOW and you're just a name without a face. now imagine if you posted your picture and if you're ugly even more people will hate you. does that make them racist? no, we naturally hate ugly people. but does this mean there isnt a race issue? of course not, its not that we're denying it, we do not care either way.

Wait a minute.... I give evidence of racism and you start talking about a name conspiracy, everyone hating everyone, especially if you're ugly as if to say "its not racism, people just don't like him because he's 'ugly'..." Then at the end of your unfocused reply that starts off AGAINST the claim, you admit that yes, there is indeed a race issue and its not being denied but people just don't care either way.

...so really you're arguing just for the sake of arguing.
Sorry, but I see no point in your post.
edit on 6-8-2011 by Watts because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tiger5

What's the difference between racism and multiculturalism?

Multiculturalism (in practice) has been used as a tool to combat racism. The majority of "races" show differences in skin colour and culture so be embracing these cultures and showing them to be equal to the majority culture or making favourable comparisons thereto was an attempt to reduce one of the supporting planks of racism viz the blanket labelling of whole cultures as inferior.

I agree, I think the presence of different races/cultures is invaluable. Its a breath of fresh air to have so many varied takes on "life" and all of its little intricacies.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   

What's the difference between racism and multiculturalism? I'm not trying to be funny or cruel. On one hand we are told to embace our differences and on the other we are told not to. Personally I treat folks like I want to be treated regardless of what they like to eat, dress, or dance to. Besides why pick at each other when we have politicians.

Racism is the idea that one group is inferior and should be treated as such because of their differences.
i.e. "They eat llama so they must be filthy subhuman animals because my race would never eat those, we eat cows over here, that's REAL food."

Multiculturalism is like acknowledging the differences, but understanding and respecting the value of those differences within the context of the given culture.
i.e. "They eat llama because that's what's available in that region and its actually quite tasty roasted over a fire pit. They should try some of this cow, I think they'd like the taste of this as well."

Racism is entirely negative. Multiculturalism is a neutral or positive.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by isthisreallife
Race is a made up concept that allowed the British to enslave Africans.

Don't give in to the divisive action by the leadership. Race is not a problem in the world when others do not try to divide us into our "rightful" class.

I hate to break it to you but race is a biological reality. It is like trying to say Robins and Eagles are the same thing. Heck if we honestly examined ourselves we would conclude that the different races are actually different sub-species and the different ethnic's are different races.

It is like talk of "there is no such thing as evil" by those who wish for there to be only evil. By saying there is no such thing as race I have to be suspicious if your planning a genocide of some sort or advocating genocide.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Genocidal, anthropocentric white supremacy is as American as apple pie. It always has been. MLK might have made a valiant attempt to change that, and he made some headway, but American racism isn't going anywhere, any time soon.

If you don't believe me on that score, check out YouTube sometime.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Race is an issue still?

The only people that I see having an issue with race, is the people of that race themselves.

I dont understand why Americans have a problem with race still lol

It was funny, I was walking through Boston park once with 2 work collegues (both are middle eastern) , we were visiting a Conference in America, this was in the early 2000's and they bought cheap luggage bags and cases and we were heading back to the hotel, I had didnt buy any luggage bags
Everybody where starring with their jaw gaping open.

WTF? Did they think they where my slaves or something?

I was in the store below the hotel also, everybody calling everybody else "Brother"; i was thinking wtf? are you two related? The guy calling him his brother was white, why does everybody there think they are related to everybody else? Even online they keep calling me "bro", I aint your brother dude.

Even thinking about that today I cant stop laughing how stupid Americans are.

edit on 16-8-2011 by JennaDarling because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Racism is the idea that one group is inferior and should be treated as such because of their GENES.

There, fixed it for you. I have already witnessed racism being brought up as a response to rants against muslims or illegal immigrants, for example. That is not racism by itself.

Racism is entirely negative. Multiculturalism is a neutral or positive

Racism is also quite distinct from multiculturalism. One refers to culture, other to biological race. As for multiclturalism being positive, that cannot be always said with certainty. Not when the differences between cultures are more profound, IMHO.
edit on 16/8/11 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

edit on 16/8/11 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

edit on 16/8/11 by Maslo because: correction

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maslo
Racism is also quite distinct from multiculturalism.

Racism implies that an individual should be negatively discriminated against, because of their being a member of a different ethnic group.

Multiculturalism implies that said discrimination should be positive, or benefit the individual being discriminated against in some way.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join