It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another Anti-Mac Post...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Mac v PC = PS3 v 360 = Republican v Democrat

The game is rigged. Everyone buying into the rivalry is a loser. I have a PC, and I have always had PCs. I have had many issues with both PC software and hardware. I don't think PC is "better" or "worse" than Mac, but I do wonder why people pay so much more money to get the same essential product.

To those who claim Macs are "easier" than PCs, I genuinely wonder how it can possibly get any easier than point-and-click, which is common to both Mac and PC, so what makes the Windows GUI so much more "difficult" than Mac?

All computers are susceptible to viruses, so to claim otherwise is ignorant; all computers also have anti-virus options anyway.

All computers are also susceptible to hardware issues, if for no other reason than simple wear and tear, though it's more than likely that both PC and Mac design their systems to have a shelf life. In the case of PS3 and 360, I have yet to find anyone with a system that lasts more than a few years without some kind of cataclysm. Neither Mac or PC have an interest in one-time sales; they are much more interested in return customers (duh).

I doubt I will ever buy a Mac mainly because 1) unjustified price inflation and 2) rebellion against proprietary bullcrap. If other people buy them, that is fine with me, but many Mac users seem to have a sense of pride and accomplishment for having bought a Mac, which seems both naive and bourgeois to me.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   

i do not use apple products. they are the walmart of the computer world with a macys price tag.
reply to post by CaDreamer

What makes it Walmart? which Im assuming you are using as a put down. Is it the solid aluminium construction, magnetic break away power cords, Innovative touchpad technology, Software and OS can be subjective but the ones that come with mac are so seamlessly integrated and useful. The compatibility issue Mac once had with software and peripherals giving PC an advantage in the market is diminishing at a rapid rate. Here are some interesting articles
Are Mac Users Smarter?

INFOGRAPHIC

IE users have smaller IQ
edit on 6-8-2011 by g0dhims3lf because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I've been running Windows 7 on this latest machine for a year and a half now. Happy to report that I haven't had a SINGLE blue screen in all that time... *now lemme find some wood to knock on*

Also happy to report that in all the web browsing and the software I had acquired - not a single virus! Pretty happy here.

On the other hand, I've had two of my Mac user friends bring their machines over to me to inspect and fix during that same time frame. Why do Mac users bring Macs over to a PC user to fix, you my ask? Probably because PC users actually understand computers, but that's just my opinion.

Khar
edit on 6-8-2011 by Kharron because: typo

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Kharron

Well many factors must be taken in to this. No one is saying you will not have issues with either or the argument is statistically Macs have a way better track record. Also considering Macs are much easier to troubleshoot I guarantee had your friends owned a PC they still would come to you, Money buys technology not intelligence, simply owning a certain machine doesnt mean you know anything about it.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by drew1749
reply to post by g0dhims3lf

But it can't and games don't work because the hardware can't play then. Sorry

Mac's can play the FEW titles that get released for mac. What mac's can't do is play those games with anywhere near the performance of a true gaming pc. Thats just plain fact. I'm a hardcore pc gamer, I don't play xbox or ps, and if mac's could do it better I would have one.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by drew1749
Macs cost over nine thousand dollars and all you’re paying for is the OS.

I see what you did there.

Anyways, yes, Macs are horribly overpriced and the hardware is nothing spectacular.

There is no logical reason to buy a Macintosh computer OR laptop.

And if you can't handle the "complexity" of a Windows/Linux based OS, that's like saying you don't know how to change tires on your car, or change the oil, replace a brake light - etc.

I haven't had a virus on Windows XP/7 in 4+ years using Avast and Ad-blocker Add-on for Firefox.

Want to see why you should never buy a Mac?

i54.tinypic.com...

Go there XD
edit on 6-8-2011 by b3l13v3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by b3l13v3

And if you can't handle the "complexity" of a Windows/Linux based OS, that's like saying you don't know how to change tires on your car, or change the oil, replace a brake light - etc.

Is it logical to pick the more complex of the two? Thats seems to be the opposite of logical.
also your analogy wouldnt be not knowing but more like wouldnt have to because your new car does it for you giving you more time to drive it and less time fixing it.

edit on 6-8-2011 by g0dhims3lf because: added side note

edit on 6-8-2011 by g0dhims3lf because: added qoute

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Well, let's look at some of the dynamics here.

Is it more logical to spend 150-300% the price of a non-Mac computer for "simplicity"?

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by b3l13v3

Like I said money buys technology not intelligence. If you cant afford it then yeah get a PC and, "Learn how to change the tires and oil", then save up so you can get a better machine. Only spoiled kids get a brand new first car most start with fixer-upers

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   

So, it's logical to buy something that requires less work but is more pricy and less performing because one doesn't wish to take a few hours to learn how to operate a more powerful and cost-effective solution?

That sounds like laziness, not logic.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by b3l13v3

Considering I did not word it like that, no I already said why. I have been a PC user since 2000, and only recently been a Mac user this past year. Mac simply makes things easier, yes this appeals to lazy people as well as people that want to spend more time working, watching, listening, programming, developing rather than troubleshooting. Id rather spend my time researching the things I use and work on and not how to fix other problems that arise in the middle of them. Should they happen tho, no problem Ill browse forums and articles to find a solution and move on. The whole reason it is so much easier is because developers spent so much time working on and assessing all the "complexities" just become a developer if you like working on that.
edit on 6-8-2011 by g0dhims3lf because: spellcheck

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
People that buy Macs are idiots. plain and simple. I'm sorry but there's no way of justifying spending more than double the cost of a PC, for a computer just because it looks prettier. There's a reason the majority of Mac users are girls.
You can get a top of the line PC, or you can get the bottom of the barrel Mac for the same price!! I'm talking about system specs. Numbers don't lie.
There's a reason why 90% of Mac users don't look at , nor understand, what the system specs are...
edit on 6-8-2011 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Macs are for computer illiterate people. They are simple. Im not saying windows is simple but mac os only keeps vital options to make it easier. They are overpriced if you look at it from a hardware stand point, but a 2.0 dual core cpu is going to run faster on mac then it will on a pc. But I do think they are a ripoff because you are paying for the name. Its trendy, they look cool and unlike windows, only one comapny makes computers for mac os, so its easier to advertize. I dont understand how such a large company can only have 5 different new models to chose from, while pc their are 1000's of new different hardware setups you can buy. I would probably be using mac os if they made games and good software for it. If i could upload the os to my system with out having to hassle with any thign i would. Most mac software is over priced and simple.
edit on 6-8-2011 by sabbathcrazy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Like I said money buys technology not intelligence. If you cant afford it then yeah get a PC and, "Learn how to change the tires and oil", then save up so you can get a better machine. Only spoiled kids get a brand new first car most start with fixer-upers

Wow am I the only person who read that and just thought how snobby of a comment it was. Sorry buddy but normal people don't want to blow over one thousand dollars for a computer. I have a great gaming computer and I payed 800 bucks for it.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

There's a reason the majority of Mac users are girls.

and students. Want to talk about a conspiracy talk about the conspiracy that schools all over the US are giving students Apple Computers. That's a conspiracy if I've ever seen one.

Apple trying to indoctrinate kids.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by sabbathcrazy
Macs are for computer illiterate people. They are simple. Im not saying windows is simple but mac os only keeps vital options to make it easier. They are overpriced if you look at it from a hardware stand point, but a 2.0 dual core cpu is going to run faster on mac then it will on a pc. But I do think they are a ripoff because you are paying for the name. Its trendy, they look cool and unlike windows, only one comapny makes computers for mac os, so its easier to advertize. I dont understand how such a large company can only have 5 different new models to chose from, while pc their are 1000's of new different hardware setups you can buy. I would probably be using mac os if they made games and good software for it. If i could upload the os to my system with out having to hassle with any thign i would. Most mac software is over priced and simple.

The thing about Macs is really the price. It's over priced for simplicity. Simple does not = more expencive. People don't understand that the hardware on Macs just are stupid. Apple would have more respect from me if they just unlocked their OS. Let it be sold seperate from the computers. Then it could be real competition.

It's trendy and I really feel like that's what makes it sell. People think "I have a Mac, I'm smarter and better." kind of like some people feel like being liberal makes you smarter. But that's another topic.

(to add on the liberal thing so you guys don't get mad at me, I have a very liberal lean but that doesn't make me any smarter)

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   

There's a reason the majority of Mac users are girls.

Is there some sort of poll or statistical proof you can link to for this?

and students. Want to talk about a conspiracy talk about the conspiracy that schools all over the US are giving students Apple Computers. That's a conspiracy if I've ever seen one.

Sounds like good marketing to me, plus it use to be PC's doing this when I was in high school Hewlett Packard filled the library, and recently taking a Web Design and PHP course in CA they had it filled with IBM, it varies everywhere.

Wow am I the only person who read that and just thought how snobby of a comment it was. Sorry buddy but normal people don't want to blow over one thousand dollars for a computer. I have a great gaming computer and I payed 800 bucks for it.

Everyone in this thread sounds a little snobby and set on their ways, wasnt trying to tho. The price point I understand, Mine was a gift, before this I had saved up to buy myself a Toshiba NB205 which I was proud of geting myself and as far as Netbooks go it kicked ass. Had I not gotten the Mac as a gift my opinion might be different seeing as how the world is split with the Haves and the Have nots and the opinions of both will always differ. That said people are talking as if Macs suck when they are far from that and most of the comments in here are opinionated with no links to statistics, articles or other cited references. Im done in this thread tho, both obviously are doing something right with the types of profits they make but Apple is moving on up..
Apple beats Microsofts profits!

edit on 6-8-2011 by g0dhims3lf because: typo

edit on 6-8-2011 by g0dhims3lf because: grammer

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Oh my.
Why don't some of us go back to 4chan and troll there?

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by g0dhims3lf
Mac simply makes things easier, yes this appeals to lazy people as well as people that want to spend more time working, watching, listening, programming, developing rather than troubleshooting.

I'm not sure if you're aware, but any modern non-Mac prebuilt PC used for working watching and listening works just as well as a Mac if not better. And as far as programming and development, I'm sorry but Linux/Windows simply dominates the arena.

I'll give Mac this much, some of the audio/video editing tools on Mac are incredibly easy to use but any professional programmers use Windows or Linux for application development or game development. Mac simply does not have the development capabilities and support that Microsoft offers, period. There is no disputing this.

Id rather spend my time researching the things I use and work on and not how to fix other problems that arise in the middle of them.

Unless you're trying to build a space ship, I'm not sure what problems you're talking about. Please, indulge.

Should they happen tho, no problem Ill browse forums and articles to find a solution and move on.

And if you're capable of this there is no logical reason to own a Mac. Trying to be hip, possibly?

The whole reason it is so much easier is because developers spent so much time working on and assessing all the "complexities" just become a developer if you like working on that.

The only "development" that really takes place in Mac is audio editing and some video editing. There is a small development arena for Mac-based programs, mostly dominated by Mac themselves.

There is virtually no program development that takes place in Mac OS. Those who program in Mac OS program for Mac OS, basically.

90% of the market is dominated by Windows so therefore it is a logical assumption that 90% of developers develop programs for Windows.

I'm not sure where you have received your information from, but I would hope that you realize everything you've just said is exceedingly exaggerated or completely false.

The two good pieces of hardware/software Mac themselves have invented? The iPhone, one of the best smart phones and the iPod. That is all.

The fact remains that 90% of the OS market is dominated by Windows, clearly signifying it as the superior Operating Platform for virtually every form of work, gaming and entertainment.

For supercomputers and such, Linux is utilized. Linux controls and operates such computers as those which operate the LHC.

For toys, and flashy hip people, the Mac is utilized. Unless Mac does something exponentially creative(as they did in the 80s), they have no future besides profiting off those who hold a uneducated love towards their products sheerly out of facade.

Mac is inferior in every way compared to Windows and Linux, asides from "simplicity" which is highly debatable.

Mac is a scam, they are a ripoff and there is no reason what soever to use their computers unless you are incapable of common sense.

PS: Quarterly profits are not yearly profits or overall profit. Beating someone else in one quarter is nothing to be proud of if you've been dominated for quote on quote 20 years.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Once again Ill remind you can just run windows in mac and yes Im building space ships and trying to be hip

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join