It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another Anti-Mac Post...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   

“I dual boot my Macbook laptop with Windows & Mac OS. I love it. It’s like having two computers for the price of two.” – A Mac User

Edit: First off let me tell you this is a rant post. Macs do work. However thinking they are better than Windows simply because this is a common thought is insane. It is also false. I kind of got heated in this rant though. I don’t 100% hate Macs. They just aren’t special. Stay tuned for if my opinion changes.

I don’t like Macs much. It isn’t because the OS is bad, It’s decent at best. No, the reason I have a huge problem with Macs is first and foremost I’m a gamer. Steam is helping make Macs easy to game on however it still isn’t good and will never be good simply because the Mac hardware sucks!

Macs cost over nine thousand dollars and all you’re paying for is the OS. I mean I don’t know why they are so over priced. I can get a windows that runs as good as a Macbook for around four hundred dollars. I have never understood why they cost so much DUCKING money!

Don’t start with the “It’s because Macs don’t get viruses hurr durr” nonsense! Macs do indeed get viruses and it’s going to be a awesome day when virus makers decide to start making more viruses for Macs. You know why? You won’t be prepared for them!

I always feel like Mac users are of the type who feel like Windows has to do with hardware, or the type who think that Windows breaks all the time. Sorry to tell you but when your PC crashes it isn’t always Window’s fault. It could be the parts within your PC that weren’t made by Microsoft. However Apple hand picks the hardware they put inside Macs. I feel like this makes Apple more liable for when your Mac crashes but guess what, the repairs cost much more than the average windows repair.

So what do Macs have going for them? The cases are nice…oh and they’re lightweight. That’s about it.

/rant

edit on 8/5/2011 by drew1749 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I use a windows with Linux, now I don't get viruses. Macs are expensive, I can get a cheap computer anywhere. Windows is nice.
edit on 5-8-2011 by Heartisblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Heartisblack

Well it also annoys me that people seem to think that Windows will always get a virus. I mean if you get a virus it's your fault, simple.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I'm not going to try to change your mind about Mac because obivously nothing i could possibly say would change your mind.

That being said. I've used OSX for about 3 years now, before that I used Windows. My reason for using Mac is that its just easy. In the 8 months I had a Dell, and the 12 months I had an HP I had to reboot, reinstall, reformat or system restore more times than I would like to remember. And I never did anything to cause it besides surf the web.

Since I've had my Mac I've never had to do anything with the Software and the Hardware looks just the way it did when I bought it.

That's why I use it. Plain and Simple.

ETA: I also got my Mac for free when I went to school which is why I don't complain about the price tag. Pays to be a student-athlete

edit on 6-8-2011 by isthisreallife because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by drew1749

Yea.. Pretty scary rant. Watch out. I have had 4 computers.. 3 windows computers and a Mac. The Windows computers were junk at best. Worked well for 6 months tops.. Start to slow down. Crash all the time. Blue screen of Death etc. My Mac never an issue with. Cost me under a grand and starts today just as fast as the day I took it out of the box. Gaming? Your going to make such a stupid post and defend it by saying "I am a gamer." great... A one sided rant by someone who has thier basic facts wrong and should be on a playstation 360 anyhow.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Apples are for idiots that dont know anything about computers and dont feel like learning. dumbed down OS to be much more user friendly, and less flexible. LINUX all the way

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by isthisreallife

I had to reboot, reinstall, reformat or system restore more times than I would like to remember. And I never did anything to cause it besides surf the web.

Why do I keep hearing this from Mac users. If it's so common why has it never happened to me? I leave my PC on all the time and it doesnt have any issues. Besides some programs crashing occasionally. Though I think that's firefox's fault.

Since I've had my Mac I've never had to do anything with the Software and the Hardware looks just the way it did when I bought it. That's why I use it. Plain and Simple. ETA: I also got my Mac for free when I went to school which is why I don't complain about the price tag. Pays to be a student-athlete

If you get a Mac for free I don't have as much of an issue. They are decent at best in my opinion. It's the simplicity that's the issue.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by GArnold

Yea.. Pretty scary rant. Watch out. I have had 4 computers.. 3 windows computers and a Mac. The Windows computers were junk at best. Worked well for 6 months tops.. Start to slow down. Crash all the time. Blue screen of Death etc.

I seriously don't know why I hear this so much. This is everyone's response. I've never had a issue like that. Worst that's ever happened is I got a virus. Though it was my fault.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaDreamer
Apples are for idiots that dont know anything about computers and dont feel like learning. dumbed down OS to be much more user friendly, and less flexible. LINUX all the way

To be fair let's not insult them. I do agree however that Macbooks are far too simple.

I have no experience with Linux but isn't it on the same base as a Mac. i.e unix. What makes linux better? I'm honestly asking here.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Why do I keep hearing this from Mac users. If it's so common why has it never happened to me? I leave my PC on all the time and it doesnt have any issues. Besides some programs crashing occasionally. Though I think that's firefox's fault.

I'm not sure. Maybe youre lucky? What OS are you using? XP or 7?

If you get a Mac for free I don't have as much of an issue. They are decent at best in my opinion. It's the simplicity that's the issue.

Macs are better than decent. They are good. They work and they don't have problems. Thats enough for me. Why is the simplicity an issue?
edit on 6-8-2011 by isthisreallife because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by drew1749
I don’t like Macs much. It isn’t because the OS is bad, It’s decent at best. No, the reason I have a huge problem with Macs is first and foremost I’m a gamer. Steam is helping make Macs easy to game on however it still isn’t good and will never be good simply because the Mac hardware sucks!

Life long Mac user here, unfortunate PC user right now.

You say you are a gamer well then a Mac wouldn't be for you. I don't play games I do design stuff and basic internet functions. Apple is perfect for me and I have never had a single problem with my Macs or their OS's, just other people handling them.
I have nothing but horrible luck with PCs. If you ever hung around chat you would see. PC's are out to make me completely insane and they are half way there

Macs cost over nine thousand dollars and all you’re paying for is the OS. I mean I don’t know why they are so over priced. I can get a windows that runs as good as a Macbook for around four hundred dollars. I have never understood why they cost so much DUCKING money!

Where do you live first of all because if it's the US that dollar amount is not correct and over exaggerating

Yes they are more but again it comes down to need and quality. I have had a couple PC laptops and a few Apple laptops. My Apples were of much better quality and worked 100x's better. My PCs well I could write a book on the issues i have had in the last year and a half with PC's. It's a nightmare. I never had issues on my Apple, I didnt have to worry about viruses and all that crap.

Don’t start with the “It’s because Macs don’t get viruses hurr durr” nonsense! Macs do indeed get viruses and it’s going to be a awesome day when virus makers decide to start making more viruses for Macs. You know why? You won’t be prepared for them!

Hehe sorry but i have to

I can't figure out these scan programs on here to save my life and it drives me crazy.
I know Apples can still get viruses but it isn't nearly as much as a PC and you don't need to buy protection which I like. I use to download all the time and I never had a single problem and none of the social sites ever crashed my computer. If I have to have protection on my computer why not just make the computer with it? It makes no sense to me to sell a product that will be vulnerable to "attacks" unless I buy various kinds of program to protect it. One is fine but more than that becomes a pain. I am aware of the free ones but those too are not all that great and then I know someone will say well add this and this as well. Again WHY have so many things to protect it when you can just make it that way to begin with? I spent twice as much for my computer I had that lasted a year because of all the wonderful issues I had with it. It was not fun esp when you have online courses with a school in another state.

You pay more for a nice car or nicer shoes and to me you pay more for a nicer computer. There are PCs that get in Apple price range. I dont mind paying the extra money for something that works and it is a OS I know.

I always feel like Mac users are of the type who feel like Windows has to do with hardware, or the type who think that Windows breaks all the time. Sorry to tell you but when your PC crashes it isn’t always Window’s fault. It could be the parts within your PC that weren’t made by Microsoft. However Apple hand picks the hardware they put inside Macs. I feel like this makes Apple more liable for when your Mac crashes but guess what, the repairs cost much more than the average windows repair.

Yes this may be true but when I have never had to repair an Apple due to computer issues. Dont even get me started on PC repairs.
Most of my problems are Windows related, it says "error windows has crashed" then it does all kinds of other stuff and I just reset and wait.

So what do Macs have going for them? The cases are nice…oh and they’re lightweight. That’s about it.
/rant

It all depends on what you want. It's like buying a car or a watch or a TV, it's preference and use or purpose.

I grew up using Apple so I prefer them because I know them better. If had grown up on a PC I'd probably prefer PC but I didnt and I get very frustrated with it. I like design and do design work so for me an Apple is more beneficial. I also do like their look, they are sleek and not bulky. I like the feature of a light up keyboard, comes in great at night.

Nice rant
I myself have a few rants on here about PCs even a nice rant letter to Bill Gates. You are allowed to rant it makes one feel good. I actually more upset today with Apple's iTunes and my iPhone. You can't talk to any rep for iTunes its all done via email so when you have an issue it can take a while. I dont like that I can't talk to a human about an account where my credit card is involved.

Anyway......dont take anything I say the wrong way if you knew me you would know I am a big Apple lover, yes I am one of those but not one of "those."
I don't totally dislike Windows I think it's just because I dont know what Im doing and i get frustrated easily. I am actually opening up to taking computer courses on PC's so I can learn about making my own websites and basic computer knowledge. I would actually like to understand how to use it because it might keep me from going insane at times.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   

I'm not sure. Maybe youre lucky? What OS are you using? XP or 7?

I have experience with all the modern OSes. XP is far more clunky but I'm currently using 7. Used to have Vista.

Macs are better than decent. They are good. They work and they don't have problems. Thats enough for me. Why is the simplicity an issue?

Because it draws in idiots. No offense but I feel if anything goes to the "simple" concept it's giving in to the idea that idiots will use their software. There are dumb windows users but for some reason every time I hear something dumb it comes from someone who loves Macbooks.

I'm not saying that's typical but it is for me. To be fair I know a lot of stupid people though.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by drew1749

I dunno, perhaps, because like any machine, a PC requires maintennance. It's like someone driving a car for 1 year and saying "Hey your fancy Taxi doesnt splutter when you start it, why does my rubbish holden always stop working when that petrol thing is on E and why do the things that roll under it sometimes go flat without telling me. I've had nothing but trouble with this car! I'm buying a Taxi next month."

and not realising that it's not the cars fault, but the driver who wants to use it without having to deal with the maintennance.

No machine I've ever seen has worked flawlessly out of the box forever, Unless you like the stock standard installed applications that limit you to a proprietry machine that wont run half as many games - and yeah that is a big issue to a lot of people, same with linux - and in the case of Mac, you get to use a windows emulator ?

I like to be able to control my machine. I like to know how to tweak it, and if need be, remove parts of it that I deem useless. I miss the real command prompt. I miss being able to program directly to the sound card, and learning how that all the "easy" out of the box stuff limits you massively.

Lol I hijacked your rant.

Back to you.

edit on 6-8-2011 by klenker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

You say you are a gamer well then a Mac wouldn't be for you. I don't play games I do design stuff and basic internet functions. Apple is perfect for me and I have never had a single problem with my Macs or their OS's, just other people handling them. I have nothing but horrible luck with PCs. If you ever hung around chat you would see. PC's are out to make me completely insane and they are half way there

Fair enough. You can't say they don't exist though. Just like I can't say Windows have no issues. I've just never had any.

Where do you live first of all because if it's the US that dollar amount is not correct and over exaggerating Yes they are more but again it comes down to need and quality. I have had a couple PC laptops and a few Apple laptops. My Apples were of much better quality and worked 100x's better. My PCs well I could write a book on the issues i have had in the last year and a half with PC's. It's a nightmare. I never had issues on my Apple, I didnt have to worry about viruses and all that crap.

Over 9000 is a meme.

I will admit that Apple laptops feel better. They're easy to carry, light and small. It's perfect for what it does. But my main issue is the price. Why is it so expensive? You say it's the quality. You aren't paying for the quality. You could probably uninstall Mac OS (actually you probably can't but maybe) and install windows on a macbook and it would work just as well. It's the hardware that makes it good. The price seems to be just for the OS. The OS isn't special.

I can't figure out these scan programs on here to save my life and it drives me crazy. I know Apples can still get viruses but it isn't nearly as much as a PC and you don't need to buy protection which I like. I use to download all the time and I never had a single problem and none of the social sites ever crashed my computer.

AV companies create viruses. No need to pay for AV. Get a free program like Spybot S&D. I love it. Also fun fact it was one of the first AV programs. Still free and still good.

I am aware of the free ones but those too are not all that great and then I know someone will say well add this and this as well. Again WHY have so many things to protect it when you can just make it that way to begin with?

I have two things protecting me and they work rather well. Spybot and Microsoft Security Essentials. Both of which are reputable products and work. Two things isn't much. You can't make it that way to begin with. Just like Macs can't make it that way to begin with. Macs have less viruses because of Market share. Not because apple built a special virus protection on their computers.

Yes this may be true but when I have never had to repair an Apple due to computer issues. Dont even get me started on PC repairs. Most of my problems are Windows related, it says "error windows has crashed" then it does all kinds of other stuff and I just reset and wait.

I hear about it all the time. PC repairs? What about them? They're usually pretty painless. You can find parts on newegg to replace if it's a hardware issue and if it's a OS issue you have backups or you buy a better OS.

Nice rant I myself have a few rants on here about PCs even a nice rant letter to Bill Gates. You are allowed to rant it makes one feel good. I actually more upset today with Apple's iTunes and my iPhone. You can't talk to any rep for iTunes its all done via email so when you have an issue it can take a while. I dont like that I can't talk to a human about an account where my credit card is involved.

Don't get me started on Itunes. I hate that evil thing. Don't buy songs on Itunes. Nowhere is it obviously told to you that you have to backup your songs to keep them. I recently got a new PC (upgraded for a gaming rig) and lost all my music.

Anyway......dont take anything I say the wrong way if you knew me you would know I am a big Apple lover, yes I am one of those but not one of "those." I don't totally dislike Windows I think it's just because I dont know what Im doing and i get frustrated easily. I am actually opening up to taking computer courses on PC's so I can learn about making my own websites and basic computer knowledge. I would actually like to understand how to use it because it might keep me from going insane at times.

Don't take anything I said the wrong way either.

I don't totally dislike Macs. I just hate the hardware and the fact that Apple is snobby about it. You can't custom make a Mac. It's insane.
edit on 8/6/2011 by drew1749 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by klenker

Can you use a different metaphor. I didn't get it. Sorry.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Though I think that's firefox's fault.

I've been around the OS block and back again a few times in the last twenty years DOS, DrDOS, Winblows, Red Hat, Mandrake, debian, Gentoo, Ubuntu, etc and have come back to windblows.

My recent run with Winblows had some major dramas(BSOD, etc) until I removed Firefox. Since then it has been a breeze provided I don't overload it with too many proggies.

Personally, I am happy with M$ software now that Firefox is out of the picture. I am of the opinion that a lot of winblows issues are related to 3rd party software. The actual M$ system itself seems to be pretty stable(touch wood).

Back to the Mac's....

I have had some time in the past playing around with Apples(IIe, Macintosh, G4, G5, etc...) and found that they used to be significantly better(graphics most notably) due to their "short pipe". The trade-off had (in the past) been a limited software base. These days, the limited software base is still an issue but all that is rapidly changing due to increasing 3rd party software development.

I wonder now if Apple is about to go through what has plagued M$ for so long....crashes due to poorly written software from 3rd party developers.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   

If something goes to the "simple" category it means that it was designed right. Macs are the best for programming and designing, recommended for developers. They have solid construction and good feel. You can also run anything you can on windows on mac because you can run Windows and even linux if you wanted to. Games work fine on them depending on what one you have. They had more money on hand than the government so obviously doing something right and people like what they have to offer not only in hardware but software as well.
edit on 6-8-2011 by g0dhims3lf because: grammer

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamAssassin

I disagree. Apple may have once been better, I can actually see that because of how bad windows 98 is and stuff. But they are no longer better. It's the sad truth.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by g0dhims3lf

You aren't a gamer but Call of Duty goes in the simple catagory. Horrible game.

Ummm a lot of simple things are bad. Very bad.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   

I am a gamer but I have an xbox for that. I also play Fallout and Borderlands on the mac just fine. Call of Duty is simple but still fun and definitely was not simple to make, plus for a shooter it actually has a lot to it.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join