It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Use Taser Gun On Charley Victim Trying To Get Home...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 06:08 PM
link   
One of the cops in the tape can be heard saying "I cant go home either"...so obviously the cop wasnt doing it to be a prick...he wasnt happy with the situation either...he was just doing a public service...

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 11:48 PM
link   
There is an additional twist to this story. The local media in Florida is reporting the father in question was told by his insurance company that if he did not �mitigate� the damage to his property (i.e., further water damage from rain) they would reject his claim. Apparently, it has rained nearly every day since the disaster.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam
The local media in Florida is reporting the father in question was told by his insurance company that if he did not �mitigate� the damage to his property (i.e., further water damage from rain) they would reject his claim.

Being legally barred from accessing the property is sufficient to challenge a claim rejection on such a basis.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Being legally barred from accessing the property is sufficient to challenge a claim rejection on such a basis.

Perhaps legally correct, but not terribly reassuring under the circumstances. By what means does one proffer as evidence to the insurance company that access to your specific property has been legally barred?

I suppose the upside to this guy�s situation is that he now has a nationally televised tape demonstrating law enforcement�s overreaction to his good faith effort to get home and mitigate his damages. Even his children will be able to attest to their father�s due diligence on the matter.

[edit on 20-8-2004 by loam]

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 02:36 AM
link   
The guy was out of line. Police did what they had to...did you see the cop up close to the camera when the crowd was going nuts? He reached down and un snapped his holster and almost pulled his gun....the situation on both sides was tense...

The guy was obviously not thinking clearly...emotionally driven by a night of terror followed up by extreme frustration that he was not allowed to go into a disaster zone. He challenged a blockade and lost.

Do you REALLY think the copswanted/desired to have to restrain this guy?
especially knowing more than the population did about conditions there?
Do you think they enjoyed increasing suffering of fellow citizens, they KNOW have probably lost everything thru no fault of their own? The PD didnt "know" this guy from any other person, but it was likley they understood he was a local, wasnt a criminal, and was under extreme emotional distress.
The PD had a job to do an i dont envy them.

The guy was being reckless to even think to bring his kids into a place like that to start with...first clue he was not in full mental capasity....
The man became beligerant and edgy at the checkpoint, when asked to calm down and go back, he snapped, not wildly, but enough that PD thought for his OWN safety, and the PD's, this guy needed to be restrained.

Do you think the crowd heard off camera would have rioted if they had seen them let this guy thru but not others? Heck the pd almost had a riot until people realized that control was going to be enforced.

I only hope they treated him like a drunk...detained him, taken him away to cool off, show him some compassion, and NOT charge him...let him go once the man was stable again. Hopefully his arrest will be suspended on his record because i feel the man was indeed at the end of his rope...he normally wouldnt have done this except that his WHOLE LIFE had just been scattered to the winds. He was not thinking clearly about his own safety, let anlone his kids..(he was, just in an odd way)

Im amazed that some of you can be so serious about your anti-authority stance here...i agree, lots of cops are jerks, but they are humans, that usually live in the communities they serve....thier job is tough enough without regular citizens giving them a problem (i understand this was tough for both sides in this case)

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Thank you Caz...good post...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join