It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Juno is on her way to Jupiter! A little info and my video from Cape Canaveral of the launch.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Juno

A powerful United Launch Alliance Atlas 5 rocket roared to life Friday and launched NASA's solar-powered Juno space probe on a five-year voyage to Jupiter, the first step in a $1.1 billion mission to look for clues about the origins of the solar system in the hidden heart of its largest planet.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/863b0f8ae4cd.jpg[/atsimg]

Juno launched at 12:25p from Cape Canaveral, Florida and I am lucky enough to live here...I may not like Florida but I do love living close to the Kennedy Space Center.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ce843adb21cf.jpg[/atsimg]

Juno will take a 5 yr trip to Jupiter and will arrive in July of 2016..eekk I don't even want to think of my age :O

Once it arrives it will orbit Jupiter for one year which is 33 orbits. Juno's trip will end after this time with a de-orbit into Jupiter.

Juno's primary focus while chilling around Jupiter will be the following:

*Determine how much water is in Jupiter's atmosphere.
*Look deep into Jupiter’s atmosphere to measure composition, temperature, cloud motions and other properties
*Map Jupiter's gravity and magnetic fields
*Study and explore the planets magnetosphere near the poles, with emphasis on the auroras.

"We're kind of going after this recipe of how planets are made. We're getting the ingredients of Jupiter, we're going to understand what the structure is like inside, how was it built, and that will give us guidance as to what happened in that early time that eventually led to us."

source

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5ebe2c5112fa.jpg[/atsimg]

The mission will investigate the gas giant's origins, structure, atmosphere and magnetosphere. Juno's color camera will provide close-up images of Jupiter, including the first detailed glimpse of the planet's poles.

I can't wait to see those pics! I wonder how long after we will have to wait!

Juno also has some special cargo on board:

PASADENA, Calif. – NASA's Jupiter-bound Juno spacecraft will carry the 1.5-inch likeness of Galileo Galilei, the Roman god Jupiter and his wife Juno to Jupiter when the spacecraft launches this Friday, Aug. 5. The inclusion of the three mini-statues, or figurines, is part of a joint outreach and educational program developed as part of the partnership between NASA and the LEGO Group to inspire children to explore science, technology, engineering and mathematics.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d12464d4965e.jpg[/atsimg]

Here is something else that will also hitch a ride aboard Juno.

PASADENA, Calif. – A plaque dedicated to the famous astronomer Galileo Galilei will be carried to Jupiter aboard NASA's Juno spacecraft.

Among his many achievements, Galileo Galilei discovered that moons orbited Jupiter in 1610. These satellites -- Io, Europa, Ganymede and Callisto -- are also known as the Galilean moons.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fec4791f0a41.jpg[/atsimg]

This is a cool site that seems to go further in depth on Juno and her mission and why it's important. It also seems to discuss Jupiter and her make up as well and a more detailed description of what Juno will be doing. I didn't get to look at much because as some know my computer has permanent PMS
and the sites seems to require shockwave and well mine crashes more than anything. However from the menus and what I did see it's a great site. I saw a few videos I wouldn't mind being able to see so if you watch any please share!
Juno

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fa2d98ca4e35.jpg[/atsimg]

The launch was pretty nice even with the delay. It was funny nobody wanted to get off of their cameras to check various feeds of information because they were afraid they would miss it. My friend works out there and she was calling me to let me know when it was delayed and what was going on, that was nice because many of our batteries in our phones were dying! The noise is so loud in person however this one was not as loud as the last one that woke me at 2am a month ago! That was a little loud and shook my whole room and everything else

Here is my video. It is actually much closer than the video makes it seem. And ignore my commentary

It was originally suppose to go up at 11:34a but was delayed a few times due to fuel issues and boaters in restricted areas. I was out at Jetty Park in Cape Canaveral, 10 bucks to get it but worth it for me. The place was packed. I was surprised how many people from Europe were there and other states as well that came to watch. It is very cool to see so many people from all over the world there to watch a launch.Even the main causeways had cars lined up on the site, a common site on big launch days like this..You should have seen the last few shuttle launches
I watch all launches(rockets or shuttles) and I am like 15mins away, people travel thousands of miles to see it! I even made a new friend who works with a rocket and astronomy club. They build rockets and have class, he gave me his contact info to come to a class. Im so on that!!
I enjoy all things space and well this baby, Juno, is going to Jupiter!! Hope you enjoyed the info

Personally I look forward to the results of the probe and what is found out about Jupiter. By this time I will be done with school so who knows maybe I will be part of future programs involving this. I think that would be a pretty amazing experience esp when you are a space fan
So in about 7yrs I am going to say well will have results after all is said and done...unless they take forever with those results

Enjoy!

Pics are from NASA and spaceflightnow as well as SFNs FB page.

spaceflightnow
NASA~Juno

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
great video, those pictures are going to be awesome when we get em

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Even thought it is a great mission, and the data returned from it will be fascinating... It makes me sad that we have to wait five years and it will only operate for a year. Years ago, a small child, I had hoped that by the year 2010 we would have multiple spacecraft orbiting the planet, and it's many moons.

edit on 5-8-2011 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
Even thought it is a great mission, and the data returned from it will be fascinating... It makes me sad that we have to wait five years and it will only operate for a year. Years ago, a small child, I had hoped that by the year 2010 we would have multiple spacecraft orbiting the planet, and it's many moons.

edit on 5-8-2011 by boncho because: (no reason given)

I know it will be a while before we know anything and hopefully nothing happens to it on the way otherwise we will never know, well at least not in my lifetime maybe

LOL use to think the same thing as a kid. I also thought we'd be living on Mars in 2020, but I don't see that happening in 10yrs so we shall see if my childhood thoughts come true...hmm maybe I should make a prediction thread

Thanks Boncho

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I don't have much technically to contribute so I will say thanks for info.

Off topic.

Your avatar is interesting as the fireworks shop in the movie is called Lucifer's
Paul has the upside down cross peace symbol on his right arm
The old lady lights a match before she officially meets Paul again
(see nightbreed during the baphomet ritual lol)

I wonder what kind of little green man Paul really is?
edit on 5-8-2011 by MasterGemini because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

There's something about knowing there's little lego men in space that warms my heart.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by MasterGemini
I don't have much technically to contribute so I will say thanks for info.

Off topic.

Your avatar is interesting as the fireworks shop in the movie is called Lucifer's
Paul has the upside down cross peace symbol on his right arm
The old lady lights a match before she officially meets Paul again
(see nightbreed during the baphomet ritual lol)

I wonder what kind of little green man Paul really is?
edit on 5-8-2011 by MasterGemini because: (no reason given)

Thanks

I have no idea what you are talking about on Paul's arm. Nightbreed the movie?

I loved the movie Paul, it cracked me up!

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Welshy77

There's something about knowing there's little lego men in space that warms my heart.

I know. I thought it was cute. They have a LEGO exhibit at the space center now and kids can go build their own version of what they want to go to space with. They had some kind of presentation or event out there today for the LEGO part.

It looks like fun. I hope adults can play too

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Just thought you might make the connections to the baphomet rituals in both movies. As baphomet and the various trinities (Juno Jupiter Minerva) are important symbolism in nasa missions. So basically if you stretch things really far my last post would be relevant, that is all.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ce843adb21cf.jpg[/atsimg]

This is a very nice pic. Sorry though, I'm keeping it.

At first, I thought you took this pic, until after watching the video. I wasn't really thinking about the distance. It could be zoomed, of course, but it still looks like it is probably much closer than a civilian would be allowed. I may be wrong.

I wouldn't have thought that the sound would have taken over a minute before you heard it.

Curious: How long after you stopped recording, until you could no longer see it at all?

ETA: I like the 'MissionJuno' site quite a bit also. Thanks for that.
edit on 8/6/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles

This is a very nice pic. Sorry though, I'm keeping it.

LOL no problem. I got it from spaceflightnow's FB page.

At first, I thought you took this pic, until after watching the video. I wasn't really thinking about the distance. It could be zoomed, of course, but it still looks like it is probably much closer than a civilian would be allowed. I may be wrong.

You would be surprised how close people get. Now you obviously have to work out there to get that close
This could be from a building though (more than likely) and then just zoomed in. There is a photographer at every launch and the pics are always posted to their FB and Twitter feeds pretty quick.

I wouldn't have thought that the sound would have taken over a minute before you heard it.

LOL oh yea. It's funny because like I said in my OP one a few weeks ago woke me up at 2:41am. Not having my computer I didn't get the launch alerts so I didn't know a Delta IV was going up otherwise I would have watched it, night launches are awesome! The sound though comes later. You can hear a little rumble, very slight when it goes up but it gets much louder and then everything starts to rumble It didn't feel as bad as the one that woke me up. The last one shook the building, my bed, my doors to my closet and my sliding door. I thought we were getting bombed or something. So yea that can scare ya!

Curious: How long after you stopped recording, until you could no longer see it at all?

I stopped filming when you couldnt see it anymore
When I started to go back and forth, that was because you couldn't see it anymore in the sky.

ETA: I like the 'MissionJuno' site quite a bit also. Thanks for that

Cool, glad you liked it. I wish it would work on my computer. It looks very cool. Everytime I click on something new it starts to freeze and shockwave crashes lol so I just get a glimpse but it looks cool. I want to check the videos out.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Thought I would add this link. It's from a camera mounted on Juno of the lauch. So it's Juno's sky view over the Cape

Enjoy!

Juno Camera view

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
1 is interested with the timming of JUNO arrival to Jupiter orbit and Earth activities w/ cosmos. About 5 years ETA known so 2.5 years half way in orbit. Interesting and it will be nice to see JUNO finds.

S&F

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I thought you might enjoy this page.

Juno Camera

new topics

top topics

join