It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lost the use of my right hand

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by WeRpeons

That's for sure. Most of them are interns or resident physicians just out of med school. I don't know how many times my family has been misdiagnosed when having to make a trip to the ER. If they can't figure it out they tell you it's probably stress related and send you on your way. (I think they learn that in med school when you can't diagnose an illness just tell your patient it's stress related).

To the OP, please ignore this person's post, as they are either purposely lying to make themselves sound "in the know" or are just ignorant.

Residents "just out of med school" ARE interns. An intern is just another name for a PGY-1, or post-graduate year 1, first year resident. If, for some reason, you are seen by an intern in the ER, you are also seen by a senior attending physician, as required by law. All orders, notes, and history/physicals written by a resident of any level MUST be seen and signed by an attending before being executed. This is federal law, and a hospital can face major fines if this law is broken.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by granpabobby

Have you been seen by a doctor yet? I want to really stress to you again the importance of NOT letting this go on. If it is a clot, you could lose your arm or even your life.

Just to prove the importance of this and how your symptoms point to it:

Blood Clot in Arm Symptoms
Signs of blood cloth in arm aren't many and include muscle spasms (a painful and involuntary muscular contraction), warmth, tingling feeling and at times complete numbness of the arm. In the deeper tissues of the arm, a type of a blood clot occurs which is known as a deep vein thrombosis (DVT), which results in swelling and redness of the skin. Arterial embolism is another type of a blood clot which has its occurrence in one part of the body, however, later starts affecting or clotting another part of the body, such as the arm. Symptoms of arterial blood clot in arm are cold arm and hands, decreased pulse, lack of movement and weakness in the arm.

Blood clot in arm after surgery is also one of the common complications which tend to occur with most people. Post-surgery, the body's clotting process is somehow stimulated. This may occur few hours, 2 weeks or several months after the surgery. More on blood clots after surgery.

Blood clot may have severe repercussions on other vital organs such as the lungs and the heart, giving rise to life-threatening situations. So, do not overlook the symptoms and call for immediate medical help as soon as possible

source

Another source about blood clots in the arms

Your surgeon should have advised you of the risks post-op that would include blood clots. You should have been told what to look out for and when to return immediately. If you still have your discharge papers, I guarantee you the symptoms you are describing would fall under the 'be seen right away' list.

If it is a blood clot, you are at risk of permanent damage to your arm and if the clot were to break off it could travel to your lungs causing a pulmonary embolism (life threatening very quickly) or even a stroke.

Please get seen right away.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Went to the ER in our small town..Only one other person there
Xray .. Dr. says everything looks fine..Then they start asking ..do you drink..do you use drugs ? No and No..only smoke cigs. Still asked again same answer..
No
Pinched nerve he says..see your regular Dr. on Monday
Hydrocodone pills help the pain..but if it isnt better when I get up I will go to the ER in Corpus Christi

Strange that I have had no problems with this for a year and now this ?
I almost got the impression this Dr. thought I was wasteing his time.
I do have insurence...But at least I did not have to wait all night to be seen

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 03:21 AM
link   
I'm gonna tell you, even tho there are people on here being jerks and know it alls, first no doctor is perfect. Er doctors are the worst about shooing you off if your not bleeding out of your arteries all over the floor. Only you know your body well and if you feel something is wrong ,you go to every emergency room you can till someone pays attention to you and helps. There is no way someone on this thread can diagnose you. I also think if you didn't feel the Doc who saw you was rushing you out and you are worried ,DO NOT WAIT till Monday!!!! For peace of mind go back or go to Corpus.
I was married to an ER doctor before and I could tell you some stories. Not too nice ones either. I can tell you if your visit has ANYTHING to do with pain and pain meds the doc ,or most I've seen automatically think your drug seeking. So if you think you need imediate help go back to the same Damn ER till the Doc does something besides xray ,script for 8 norco, and a push out of the ER.

I understand why you came to ATS for advice and I don't judge or blame you. Take care of yourself.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Also there is an easy test to make sure you've got no clot. I went to the Er one time with my leg hurting and swollen and the first thing they did was do a kind of ultra sound type thing on the arteries in my thigh to check for clots. So it seems that maybe they could atleast do that, especially if you have insurance.

It's kind of a sore spot for me, Er doctors and nurses ,they are jaded and most treat people so badly. Also I think if you look a certain way ,you'll be treated less than you should be. Like tattooed ,long hair, ya kno........ You have got to be your own "stand up for you" person. Advocate ,if you will.

Anyway good luck, please if you don't mind come back and let us know how it all turned out. The ones who aren't buttheads.
lol

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by SHABBYCAT

Like I said before, I worked in an ER for years and I tend to agree with you on most points. There were some really good doctors/nurses there and there were even more bad ones.

If they thought you were drug seeking, than it sounds like they labeled you and may not have done all they should have. An X-ray would have checked the positions of the pins, but would do absolutely nothing to diagnose a clot.

They should have at least done a simple blood test to check your D-dimer level which would be high if you had a clot. If you have insurance, than there is no reason NOT to do an ultrasound.

Are you running a fever?

also, I think telling someone to be seen by a professional based on the symptoms is not giving medical advice. Telling you that you are okay and that you DON'T need to be seen by a doc, or telling you to self-medicate ...THAT is giving medical advice.

Only other tip is that first thing when you are triaged, tell the nurse that you are NOT there for pain medication. That you are under a physicians care and do not need it, that you are there because you are concerned about an acute change and want to find out WHAT is causing the pain, not to mask it.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Oh ,sorry I didn't mean that towards you specifically. I was just annoyed at some posts that I had read on here. I don't think yours was one. So apologies. I wasn't trying to be rude. I know it came off that way but ......well ya know sometimes it just happens.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by SHABBYCAT

Nope! It wasn't directed at you....I was agreeing with you!!

No worries...

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by VneZonyDostupa

I apologize if my post seemed "I was in the know." I stand corrected. I and my family have been examined by "residents" in the ER from time to time. The last time my son was in the ER he was seen by a physicians assistant and than by a resident. I wouldn't question that a senior attending physician probably does look at the history and physicals written by the resident, but that doesn't mean the resident diagnosed the problem correctly!

I'm sure residents and the senior attending physician see a lot of patients in a day and that could be quite daunting. Signing off on exams doesn't mean he actually examined the patient. I would think he's doing a quick run down to see if the resident followed basic diagnostic procedures. Nothing takes the place of years of experience just like any other skilled occupation. Yes, we have met with doctors at times, but honestly, sometimes it is just the resident.

My son passed out at home after working out at the gym. He was so exhausted he collapsed on the driveway because he was too weak to walk any further to the front door of our house. He finally had the strength to get up and make it into the house where he passed out at the top of our stairway.

The diagnosis was he over exerted himself at the gym. They took a blood test and that was it. We brought him to our family physician and he ran some tests and found out he had mono.

I have many stories of poor diagnosis at our ER. That would be a thread by itself.

You sound like your in the medical profession and your defending your field which I respect that. I didn't mean to demean the medical profession, just wanted to relay my experiences I've had at our ER.

Unfortunately, there are problems in all professions including the medical field. Corporations, hospitals, schools and even the government sector will break laws or do the minimum to comply with laws.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   

reply to post by VneZonyDostupa

I wouldn't question that a senior attending physician probably does look at the history and physicals written by the resident, but that doesn't mean the resident diagnosed the problem correctly!

The diagnosis and treatment, like the H&P, must be seen and signed by an attending physician.

Signing off on exams doesn't mean he actually examined the patient. I would think he's doing a quick run down to see if the resident followed basic diagnostic procedures.

If the resident is an intern (or even a PGY-2), then the attending DOES examine the patient in addition to the resident. If they are a PGY-2 or PGY-3, then their exam is typically trusted if their performance has been satisfactory in the past.

You should keep in mind that by the time someone is a PGY-2, they have had at least 4 years (if not 6) of patient examination, diagnosis, and treatment experience.

Nothing takes the place of years of experience just like any other skilled occupation.

I agree completely. However, there's only one way to get this experience - seeing patients.

The diagnosis was he over exerted himself at the gym. They took a blood test and that was it. We brought him to our family physician and he ran some tests and found out he had mono.

Mistakes happen, even when an attending examines the patient. The hard part about mononucleosis is that blood tests would turn up negative for days, even up to weeks, after initial infection. Additionally, the symptoms of mono are incredibly variable, which is why it's a commonly misdiagnosed disease. It's not practical to test everyone who comes into the ER with one or two symptoms seen in mono, so these rarer cases are sometimes missed.

You sound like your in the medical profession and your defending your field which I respect that. I didn't mean to demean the medical profession, just wanted to relay my experiences I've had at our ER.

No worries. I realize I was a bit harsh in my wording, which I chalk up to being exhausted and hungry. I apologize, too, if I offended.

Unfortunately, there are problems in all professions including the medical field. Corporations, hospitals, schools and even the government sector will break laws or do the minimum to comply with laws.

Agreed.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Hope everything turns out ok for you. Glad you are having it checked out. I will be thinking of you.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Hey folks..when I got up this morning my hand was badly swollen and hurting..
Back I go to the ER
This time a different Dr.
They did a blood test and said I have a high white cell count..they gave me antibiotics and a shot to reduce the swelling (which isnt working ) also hydrocodone for pain
Probably just a sprained wrist he says see your Dr. Monday if its not better
Almost like they are saying dont bother comeing back..

The point of this ..it seems if you arnt bleeding and need surgery they tend to shine you on !

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Yep like I said you better have insides on the outside of your body or be bleeding out all over the floor. Did you go back to the same ER? I don't trust doctors very much. I can't see your arm/hand and I don't know everything you've got going on but just from what I've read ......I think you need to find someone to give you a defined answer.

Also they gave you antibiotics for a high white count and gave you a diagnosis of sprain???? And yesterday it was a pinched nerve???? If this were me I'd go to a diffrent hospital. Do you go alone or bring someone with you. I ask because I've read and experienced that you get better care and attention if you have a friend or family member with you. Seriously I read a study that said that and I guess it makes sense ,they see someone cares about you and they kinda are kept "in check". I'd bring someone who is willing to be a voice ,asks lots of questions and just generally speaks up for you.

Good luck

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Mygirlfriend goes with me..
She has a brain tumor and knows ERs
Her comment was ..well you tested his blood ...now you know he dosent use drugs..so..are you going to give him something for pain..or not ?

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   

I can relate. I have a history of kidney stone problems which can be quite painful. When I'm in pain I have to go to the emergency room in hopes of getting a shot for the pain. No matter how many times I've been there, they'll take their good ole time getting me a shot for the pain. I've had to wait sometimes 45 minutes to an hour to get a shot while I'm throwing up because of the immense pain!

Now, because of so many people are abusing pain pills, I have to be seen by my family physician before he can prescribe pain pills when he knows very well my kidney stone history.

In this day and age, you would think hospitals wouldn't be a place where you wouldn't have to wait to be relieved from pain.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
ATS is Many things and there are many people of knowledge here,.
But if your not bright enough to seek the help of a "professional" after an accident like you explained
then the pity is all yours..
what the hell?.. really?

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy
ATS is Many things and there are many people of knowledge here,.
But if your not bright enough to seek the help of a "professional" after an accident like you explained
then the pity is all yours..
what the hell?.. really?

Did you read any of the posts ?
And see that the accident was over a year ago ?
In the accident I had a broken arm ,shattered elbow ,7 broken ribs .dislocated hip and shoulder...as far as profesional treatment ..how about 2 surgerys and a month in the hospital

edit on 8-8-2011 by granpabobby because: (no reason given)

Or were you just Drunk ?
edit on 8-8-2011 by granpabobby because: add content

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
Doesn't really seem like the right place to post this nonsense.

I dont need your asinine reply
Why did you even bother except
to make a smart mouthed comment

i

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Don't you just hate posts that are so condescending to OP's. Half the time they don't read the complete thread and than point the finger at you as if you're the ignorant one. If you don't have anything nice to say or offer any kind of constructive advice don't reply to the thread. They need to spew their hate somewhere else.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Don't you just hate posts that are so condescending to OP's. Half the time they don't read the complete thread and than point the finger at you as if you're the ignorant one. If you don't have anything nice to say or offer any kind of constructive advice don't reply to the thread. They need to spew their hate somewhere else.

Thank you ..Well said
The good folks far outweigh the assinine on ATS

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join