It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gulf War Syndrome a Genetic Tendency?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Many US Veterans suffer from a mysterious illness called Gulf War Syndrome. In this medical report Dr. Peter Ostrow has the latest from local researchers who believe there may be a genetic tendency towards this debilitating illness.

www.wivb.com...

The story goes on to say that studies from the University of Buffalo, have looked at the genes from infected veterans and found a harmful variation in the infected Gulf vets. It is speculated that those with these genes make them more likely to get the sydrome.

Are they going to have give soldiers gene testing before being sent to combat to prevent further cases? Or will they keep this information from them?

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I'm glad that there is still research going on to determine the cause of the syndrome. Maybe selecting soldiers based on their genes will be a good idea if the syndrome is influenced by certain genes.

I also remember seeing a documentary on Belgian television that said that being exposed to and especially inhaling depleted uranium in bullets and other projectiles caused the Gulf War syndrome. However, the United States army and National Academy of Sciences say that there was no real risk.

Gulf War Veterans and Depleted Uranium
Depleted uranium: background
Veterans Health Administration: Gulf War Illnesses

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 11:48 AM
link   
My husband was in the gulf war for 12 months he did not devoloped anything but he has an entry in his health records and a letter stating that he was in the gulf war long enough to be taken in consideration.

new topics

join