It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Young Hispanics (18 - 29 Year Olds) Prefer Spending Cuts Over Taxes by Close to 3 to 1

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Generation Opportunity Poll: As Congress and President Battle on Debt Ceiling, Young Hispanics (18 - 29 Year Olds) Prefer Spending Cuts Over Taxes by Close to 3 to 1

Generation Opportunity recently commissioned a poll with the polling company, inc./WomanTrend (April 16 – 22, 2011, +/- 4% margin of error) and highlights some of the results below.
•By nearly a 3:1 ratio, Hispanic young adults prefer "reducing federal spending" (69%) to "raising taxes on individuals" (27%) in order to balance the federal budget.
•70% of Hispanic young adults would decrease federal spending if given the chance to set America's fiscal priorities.
•A 57%-majority of Hispanics agree that "if taxes on business profits were reduced, companies would be more likely to hire."
•In a separate question, a 56%-majority concurred "the economy grows best when individuals are allowed to create businesses without government interference."
•61% indicated their agreement with "American Exceptionalism" – described as an ideal of freedom and democracy exclusive and unique to the United States.

- This news story was released July 18 -

Hispanic and Latino Americans tend to be very Democratic, especially the youth, so it came as a surprise to me that a poll shows such stunning results. It seems that the Hispanic and Latino youth are ready to release the entrepreneurial spirit of themselves and their fellow Americans to invest in future economic growth and create jobs. They desire the government to cut spending rather than tax more, allow businesses to operate without excessive red tape, and have a general sense of desiring a future in which they shape for themselves rather than let a few bought-off politicians in a distant city shape it for them.

If this trend continues it could mean either Democrats become more fiscally conservative or Hispanic-Latinos begin to move towards the Republicans, perhaps a combination of both.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
this is not surprising i just recently read an article about american wealth by democraphics while whites are considered to be the wealthly something came as a surprise to me.

hispanics was the second largest group demographic so they prefer to hold on to what they make.

it doesnt take a rocket scientist to see the stupidity of raising taxes and for the life of me i dont know why the majority of americans support that action

unless that means rasing taxes when 47-50% americans pay no taxes and by that i mean federal income and as far as i am concerned those only people who pay federal tax should have any say in the matter.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
nevermind
edit on 5-8-2011 by Rockdisjoint because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

"hispanics was the second largest group demographic so they prefer to hold on to what they make."
The poll is released by an organization that is educating them... It's like saying I polled all my children and found that, after I convinced them candy is bad, 100% of them reported being in favor of not eating candy.

"it doesnt take a rocket scientist to see the stupidity of raising taxes and for the life of me i dont know why the majority of americans support that action"

It doesn't. Raising taxes... On the poor and the middle-class is stupid...

Which is why the majority of Americans only support raising taxes on rich people and corporations, and that's it. Not farmers, not poor people, not your average Joe, not small businesses... Multi-BILLION dollar corporations, and individuals who make more than 250,000 dollars a year.
A consumer economy doesn't work if the majority of people aren't consuming, and if they have no money to consume/are too afraid to consume, the economy tanks. If wealthy people and corporations aren't putting the money they make back into the United States (which most of them aren't), the people can't consume. So the question is, do you force them to put it back into the U.S. (through taxes) or do you just hope they will when they historically haven't as outsourcing, cheap labor, and investment opportunities offer higher returns outside of our country.

In the end, our country will go down one of three paths:

Martial law and austerity.
Raising taxes on the wealthy and corporations.
A depression.

It's really one of the three. In #1 and #3, millions of Americans are affected and people -will- start dying. In #2, we see a few years of complaints as the cost of doing business in other countries rises, while we suffer through a recession, and eventually investors start turning back to the U.S.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by strings0305

In the end, our country will go down one of three paths:

Martial law and austerity.
Raising taxes on the wealthy and corporations.
A depression.

The U.S will probably go down all three of those paths. A depression will happen no matter what [if we aren't already in one].

It's unavoidable.
edit on 5-8-2011 by Rockdisjoint because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockdisjoint

I can get behind that, I just like to be optimistic. :p

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by strings0305

whats stupid is raising taxes on those people who employ those people and get taxed to pay for services they use more than anyone else.

its like the bill just passed and the potus and congress going after jet owners and yacht owners who builds those ?

who maintains them? who flys and captains them? the middle class thats who guess how many people will be put out of work because of that? every single system and subsystem is made by other people who is what? middle class.

and heres the skinny on what people think is rich:

$1,000,000 in 1913 would be worth over $22,800,000 dollars today

$1,000,000 in 1950 would be worth over $9,366,058 dollars today

$1,000,000 in 2011 doesnt go as far as people think it does

the fact is 1 million of day would be right around 100k in 1913 exactly 200k which would be what is considered to be middle class by some and rich by others.

the value of the dollar has been lost in translation for the simple fact the dollar aint what it use to be.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
Hispanic and Latino Americans tend to be very Democratic, especially the youth, so it came as a surprise to me that a poll shows such stunning results. It seems that the Hispanic and Latino youth are ready to release the entrepreneurial spirit of themselves and their fellow Americans to invest in future economic growth and create jobs. They desire the government to cut spending rather than tax more, allow businesses to operate without excessive red tape, and have a general sense of desiring a future in which they shape for themselves rather than let a few bought-off politicians in a distant city shape it for them.

If this trend continues it could mean either Democrats become more fiscally conservative or Hispanic-Latinos begin to move towards the Republicans, perhaps a combination of both.

Hispanic and latino americans tend to be democratic? I beg to differ. Most of the hispanics I've met haved tended to be very conservative, many socially conservative, but many sympathized with libertarianists as well. Most just tend to vote Democratic because the Republicans tend to turn them off alot the times of certain issues.

As for this debt crises, we're not going to bring down the debt situation of ours without raising taxes, I can tell you that right now. If we are only going to spend our time cutting government and cutting taxes, we're going to follow the same trend we are doing now. Michigan went through a period of cutting spending and cutting taxes, and while the cutting down of government was crucial to getting the states financials in order, it didn't solve the problem long term. Revenue needs to be raised and at the same time, government needs to dedicate that additional revenue to paying off our debts.

1. Withdraw our overseas bases.
2. Withdraw from all the wars
3. Raise taxes, in particular on businesses who shift jobs overseas,
4. Cut government spending

new topics

top topics

join