It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Government is bracing themselves for a S&P downgrade as early as today

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
CNBC is saying that... thing is... S&P has NO COMMENTS... which is even more suspicious.
CNBC says US Government is bracing themselves for a S&P downgrade as early as today

S&P has no comment on whether credit announcement is soon regarding US

Will the freaking rating agencies do their damn job already? DOWNGRADE THE US ALREADY. COME ON. DO IT.

If they do their damn job for once, it will mean higher interest rates on treasury bonds... and force the US government to REALLY CUT THE BUDGET...

Aka, prepare for Greece...Italy...Spain... Ireland... type of stuff... if SP finally mans up, the US is done... many banks/investment firms can only hold AAA rated paper... they would have to sell everything they've got... or you know, change the laws so they don't sell...

But sell for dollars... do the dollar would rally for a short period... but then would just crash to new lows... unless Europe totally collapses... which would create a safety flight to the US (because stupid investors have been brainwashed for decades that the US is the safest market on earth)... or maybe investors will man up and buy gold instead.

But all that selling would end up make interest rates on Tbonds skyrocket, putting the US in big trouble.
edit on 5-8-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

one can only hope.... you have to tear it down to build it back right!

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Could this be the reason they closed in the green today??
I found it odd they closed in the green after yesterday.
I was expecting more in the red today.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   

But hold on, this is impossible as we have just had a glowing jobs creation report for July and everyone is feeling giddy at the prospect of the US economy poised to break out of the clutches of almost certain recession and awe the world with a stellar economic performance going forward into Q3?

Well that was the sense I felt last nite before bedtime, it's now just after 7am Saturday morn.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

Actually that's not unusual after a large drop like that for people to come back because they see deals. A low gain like that is probably the outcome of that situation. If we had had a 200-300 point gain, then I'd call shenanigans.

S&P downgrade rumors on a Friday...wasn't it a while ago that it was established that the WH gave out bad news on Friday evenings? Not to mention Obama is at Camp David now...can't get much more bunkered than that except for the doomsday shelters or Cheney's one man safe.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Sir Solomon

Thank you for the clarification.
I don't know alot about the stockmarket stuff but I did wonder about that.
I'll remember this for future reference.
Thanks again.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   

A government official tells ABC News that the federal government is expecting and preparing for bond rating agency Standard & Poor’s to downgrade the rating of US debt from its current AAA value.

Officials reasons given will be the political confusion surrounding the process of raising the debt ceiling, and lack of confidence that the political system will be able to agree to more deficit reduction. A source says Republicans saying that they refuse to accept any tax increases as part of a larger deal will be part of the reason cited.

The official was unsure if the bond rating would be AA+ or AA.

blogs.abcnews.com...

Well kids, it's here.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Or you know... CCC-, as it should be... SP, Moody and Fitch are a total joke.

Come on SP, man up a little for once.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

An AA+ rating would make them wee enough in D.C.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

An AA+ rating would make them wee enough in D.C.

AA+ is a downgrade, but nowhere enough... it's just below AAA... it's still an ``High grade`` rating.

AAA is ``Prime grade`` rating.

The US should be at CCC-, aka ``In default with little prospect for recovery``...

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Agreed. BUT. . . this will strengthen a position on spending cuts.

We can't continue down this path.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   

The President spoke with French President Nicolas Sarkozy and, separately, with German Chancellor Angela Merkel this afternoon about the latest developments in the eurozone crisis. Noting the significant steps taken at the July 21 summit of leaders of the euro area and the importance of their implementation, the President welcomed the continued leadership of President Sarkozy and Chancellor Merkel in addressing the challenges facing Europe’s economy. The President also consulted with President Sarkozy and Chancellor Merkel on the situation in Syria. The leaders condemned the Assad regime’s continued use of indiscriminate violence against the Syrian people. They welcomed the August 3 presidential statement by the UN Security Council condemning Syria’s actions, but also agreed to consider additional steps to pressure the Assad regime and support the Syrian people.

www.whitehouse.gov...

And I'm sure no talk about a "downgrade" came up.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Hopefully... but I still doubt it with the nutjobs in Washington... from both parties... they'll probably just print and print and print...

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Hopefully... but I still doubt it with the nutjobs in Washington... from both parties... they'll probably just print and print and print...

Then they are beggng to be thown out of Washington.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   

That is for sure 80% of the bonds bought in 2009 were bought by the FED who printed money to buy them.

The big worry is if Russia and China start clamoring for a different reserve currency again. That is when all of the USA hyperinflation birds will come home to roost.

The Fed already devalued the dollar by 95% since it was started.

We have no "Good Deliverable gold" in Fort Knox.

Most of our corporations are now foreign owned. (2/3 of the GNP)

Our trade balance is the pits since the idiots in Washington saddled us with all the "Free Trade Agreements. The big one WTO was in 1995 and look what happen to our trade balance. Negative means we are exporting jobs.

The Traitors in Washington sold the USA for thirty pieces of silver.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   

The US Postal Service warned on Friday that it could default on payments it owes the federal government, just days after the US government itself narrowly averted a default.

www.breitbart.com...

Simply disgusting. Days after a gazillion dollar debt increase and the USPS defaults?

We deserve better than this. My dog rolls in stuff smarter than the idiots in D.C.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Then they are beggng to be thown out of Washington.

I was thinking more of tar and feathers. I have been saving up the feathers. Any one got the tar????

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
It always brightens my day to see on ATS people literally cheering with a smile on their face for the possibility of the United States to be economically crippled. Sure, they make their arguments as to why, obviously they say this with love, but if it were truly love they would not want to play doctor and send the patient into a coma just to find out what is wrong. Unlike some, I recognize this country has enormous challenges ahead of it regardless of our path, yet that does not make me post on ATS about how giddy I am that we will go bankrupt, have a debt downgrade, a run on the banks, or total collapse.

You do not burn down the house because you want to redecorate; you do it room by room within budget and responsible planning for a good outcome. That is what the reasonable solution to a problem is, not “I poured the gasoline, you got the matches?”

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

...You do not burn down the house because you want to redecorate; you do it room by room within budget and responsible planning for a good outcome. That is what the reasonable solution to a problem is, not “I poured the gasoline, you got the matches?”

Unfortunately you need to tell that to the TRAITORS in D.C.

1. We need to cut spending and we need to get out of wars we have no business in.

2. We need to stop sending tons of money to the UN, World Bank IMF and over seas as "AID" to dictators.

3. We need to get out of the blasted Free trade Agreements that bankrupted peasant farmers with cheap American grain so international corporations could then sent our jobs overseas and hire desperate peasants at slave wages.

4. The US government should never have bailed out AIG with tax payer money. This allowed banks to collect AIG "Insurance" on homes they foreclosed on rather than negotiate decent terms with struggling Americans.

There is a start. I am not a politician or an economist but even I can see what the rotten decisions in D.C. caused.

Oh and get rid of the red tape killing small business and start enforcing anti-monopoly laws.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Latest : S&P told White House it would downgrade U.S. - source

Credit rating agency Standard & Poor's served the Obama administration with notice Friday afternoon that it planned to downgrade the U.S. government's AAA credit rating, an administration official told CNN.

But S&P has yet to make its ruling public, and the source told CNN that the agency is reconsidering after the administration challenged S&P's analysis of the government's finances.

Reconsidering after being challenged on their analysis uh? More like death threats, arrest threats, IRS audit threats... Something like ``Downgrade us uh? That's a nice family you got there... would be a shame if anything were to happen to them... accidents happen so fast...``

That and threats of revoking their ``official rating agency`` license...

The thugs will do anything to keep the scam running... SP should man up and face the scum.

More from the article :

The source, a senior official involved in the discussions, said the agency was off by "trillions" in its economic model and was now working to revise its analysis.

REALLY? Trillions uh? The US government is on the hook for around 100+ trillion with all they promised to the American people. It can't be paid.

The deficits won't be cut, too much corruption in Washington DC. The wars won't end, the military industrial complex loves them too much. The taxes on the rich won't go up either... big corporations will continue to receive bailout money and tax breaks. Foreign countries will continue to receive billion every year.

NOTHING HAS CHANGED, NOTHING WILL CHANGE TILL THEY ARE FORCED TO.

The official described the talks as a "moving target" and said "it's clear some people there still want to go forward" and downgrade U.S. debt.

Yeah people with freaking common sense.

IF you want to know how SP rates countries...Here are the documents and you'll see how the US should have lost it's AAA a long time ago...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join