It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

C-17 fly over past 3 days. Aug 3, 4, 5 2011 in SW Virginia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I am wondering if any other's have noticed them in the past few days. I have lived here for 10 years and I have never seen these particular planes fly over. Every so often we get the fighter jet fly overs, but this is the first time I have seen the C-17 fly over.

The first day, the ground started shaking before I realized what it was. I happen to be standing by the door and ran out to my porch. It was flying very low! it looked like it was going to hit the tree line after it past over my house.

Yesterday I was heading home from shopping. Just as I pulled onto my road it flew over again.

Today I heard it, but didn't have enough time to get out and see it.

Has anyone else seen them fly over? I am not far from TN, NC, KY boarders, maybe some members have seen them also.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by summer5

I have a reasonable explanation for you.
I live in Rockhampton, QLD, Australia and have seen at least 1 C-17's come and go every day for the past month. Their has been a large scale military exercise held just up the coast from here called Talisman Sabre This involved allot of US military units, 8 ships, 135 Aircraft and 14,000 troops not to mention all the heavy equipment ie tanks apvs. I think maybe you could be seeing them returning home.

Talisman Sabre Australian Site
Talisman Sabre US Site

What is Exercise TALISMAN SABRE 2011?
Exercise TALISMAN SABRE 2011 is a US led Australian supported exercise to improve combat training, readiness and interoperability, across the spectrum of military operations from conventional conflict to peacekeeping and humanitarian assistance efforts. The exercise forms part of the Australia Defence Forces’ (ADF) extensive training program to ensure the ADF is prepared to protect and support Australia and its national interests. The exercise also contributes to the ability of Australian and US military forces to work together efficiently and safely. By working with the US military forces, the exercise strengthens proactive and responsive strategies and enhances measures to defend Australia and its national interests.

Regards,

tlasalt

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by tlasalt

Thank you for your reply tlasalt. I suppose that is possible. I live inland, not close to any of the bases which are on the coast.

The strange thing about the fly over's I have seen, the past few days, is how low they are traveling.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by summer5

I live in the New River Valley area of SW Virginia (near Virginia Tech). I have lived here for about six years. We have military jets, usually in three's, fly over us two to three times a day, very low in altitude. Virtually every day. Each one creates ground shaking and very loud acoustical disturbance for about 90 seconds. In fact, it is a frequently discussed topic because of how many of the neighborhood dogs go nuts. We noticed that we had no flyovers for a couple week period ending about a month ago, when they restarted.

You are close enough to me geographically, from the sound of it, that perhaps you are under some of them some of the time - maybe they are changing up their routes a bit?

edit on 8/5/2011 by Open2Truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Open2Truth

Thank you for your reply Open2Truth. You are close to my location. I am about 40 minutes south of VA Tech. I have had the fighter jets fly over for years. Although have not seen much of them lately. A few summers ago they were flying over almost daily. Now it seems they fly over once or twice a month.

I guess you have not noticed the C-17 in the past few days? They are loud, like the fighter jets, but they move slower and fly MUCH lower. They have more of a deep rumble when flying over, compared to the high pitch sound of the jets. I would assume even if you are use to the jets going over, one would notice a different sound. Although, unless you are outside, or close to a door, you wont get out in time to see it.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by summer5

I'll have to do some research on the profile of the different planes, because the fighter jets that I normally see are pretty low in altitude. I'll take a look online tonight to educate myself on the jet profiles so I can answer you with some semblance of accuracy. In the meantime I can just say that we haven't noticed any remarkable changes in the military flyover patterns. I will pay more attention now and let you know!

I have to say its good to know a fellow ATS member in the same neck of the woods!
edit on 8/5/2011 by Open2Truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Open2Truth

I have not figured out how to embedded images yet.
I wanted to put a picture along with my original post. Sorry I wasn't able to do so.

Glad to know I have an ATS member in my general location

new topics

top topics

join